Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE List of processes/ which ones to stop Post 302426514 by hiddenshadow on Wednesday 2nd of June 2010 05:49:07 AM
Old 06-02-2010
List of processes/ which ones to stop

Hi there,

I've install a testserver with SLES 11.0! I'll install/test XEN + WebServer not all things at the moment!
In a first time, I'd like to stop all unuse processes... but I don't understand all processes!

As someone a list of all processes with his signification and which should/could I stop?

Thanks a lot
Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking before start and stop processes

Hi, I have 2 start and stop sh. Start sh -------- This will start few processes. Example code: echo "start process : lgz200 /pipe=test_jobs" nohup lgz200 /db=test/test1@test1 /pipe=test_jobs > ../log/lgz200_j.log & echo "echo \"stop process (pid=$!): lgz200 /pipe=test_jobs\"" >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maldini
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to log start/stop time of ALL processes

Hi all, I joined this forum today and this is my first question. I thank you all for viewing it. I will try to be brief. The OS: HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 There are lot of cron scheduled perl scripts running on this server, which do different things at different time. Some of them process... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesky099
10 Replies

3. Programming

how to get list of processes

Hi, How can I get a list of all the running processes, in C? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: yaron
13 Replies

4. Programming

How to stop other processes and kernel from printing output on current virtual term

Hello All, Background ======== I am creating a virtual appliance console for a software stack on VMware ESXi. I am using Centos 5.x as the Linux distro (Guest OS). I have created a ncurses based application that does the user authentication and present him with some basic controls to do basic... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ku@ntum
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to start/stop processes

Please anyone tell me In my last interview the HR asks me how to monitor, start,stop & kill the various processes and subprocesses. Please anyone explain me clearly. It's my personal request (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suneelieg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to list 3 days old processes

ps -xfu <user name> this command line will list all the process currently running for <user name>. I need to filter this output. I need all the process which are running for more than 3 days(excluding demon/sys process) . The list should include PID, PPID, STIME, process/command. I am using... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preparing a list of spawned processes

Hi All I'm currently trying to develop a script which will find the child processes of a process ID already passed to the script. I then need the script to look for spawned processes of these child processes and so on until it can't find any more. For example At the moment, I have to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: huskie69
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kill a list of processes

I am trying to kill a list of processes. I have found these two ways to list a group of process id's on a single line. How would I go about killing all of these processes all on one line? $ ps aux | grep 6243 | grep "a.out" | awk '{printf "%s ",$2}'ps aux | grep 6243 | grep "a.out" | awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

List all background processes

How do I list the process in a Unix based system which are running in background? The following are options that I'm aware of, but they may not be appropiate. a. using ps -ef , and getting records of processes for which STATUS='S'(uninterruptible sleep) b. using jobs -l, and filtering... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List processes using my memory

Here is the output of top command So you see 99% of memory is in use -> Mem: 66005468k total, 65662548k used, How can I find out all processes consuming this 99% memory in descending order of consumption i.e. starting with processes eating more memory. I need the total of the output to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
killall(8)						      System Manager's Manual							killall(8)

NAME
killall - Terminates all processes started by the user, except the calling process SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/killall [- | [-]signal_name | -signal_number] /usr/sbin/killall -l FLAGS
The hyphen character (without an argument) sends a SIGTERM signal initially and then sends a SIGKILL signal to all processes that survive for 30 seconds after receipt of the first signal. This gives processes that catch the SIGTERM signal an opportunity to clean up. A signal name, optionally preceded by a hyphen, sends the specified signal to processes. The hyphen character (with a signal number argument) sends the specified signal, either a name, stripped of the SIG prefix (such as KILL), or a number (such as 9). For information about signal names and numbers, see the signal() system call. In the System V habitat, the optional signal number does not have to be preceded with a hyphen (-). Lists signal names in numerical order (as given in the /usr/include/signal.h file), stripped of the common SIG prefix. DESCRIPTION
This command provides a convenient means of killing all processes created by the shell that you control. When started by the superuser, the killall command kills all processes that can be terminated, except those processes that started it, the kernel processes, and processes 0 and 1 (init). Security Configuration This command is modified in all security configurations of the system. EXAMPLES
To stop all background processes that have started, enter: killall This sends all background processes signal 9 (the kill signal, also called SIGKILL). To stop all background processes, giving them a chance to clean up, enter: killall - This sends signal 15 (SIGTERM), waits 30 seconds, and then sends signal 9 (SIGKILL). To send a specific signal to the background processes, enter: killall -2 This sends signal 2 (SIGINT) to the background processes. To list the signal names in numerical order, stripped of the SIG prefix, enter: killall -l This displays a list of signals, which may vary from system to system. FILES
Specifies the command path RELATED INFORMATION
Calls: kill(2), sigaction(2), signal(2) delim off killall(8)