Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Pointer addresses in multiples of 32 ? Post 302426339 by cyler on Tuesday 1st of June 2010 02:08:27 PM
Old 06-01-2010
Pointer addresses in multiples of 32 ?

1. Why are the pointers' addresses every 32 ?
2. Am I correct in stating that memset is writing to memory that is not allocated to any of the 3 pointers ? Is it writing to memory in between the pointers ?
3. Are the 3 pointers contiguous in memory ?
4. I only allocated 10 bytes for each pointer. So how can "a" be 73 chars long etc. ?

Code:
size_t bufsize = 10;

char *a = malloc(bufsize);
memset(a, 'a', bufsize - 1);
a[bufsize] = '\0';

char *b = malloc(bufsize);
memset(b, 'b', bufsize - 1);
b[bufsize] = '\0';

char *c = malloc(bufsize);
memset(c, 'c', bufsize - 1);
c[bufsize] = '\0';

size_t d = c - a;

memset(a, '-', d);
printf("a = %s => address: %i => number of chars: %i\n", a, a, strlen(a));
printf("b = %s => address: %i => number of chars: %i\n", b, b, strlen(b));
printf("c = %s => address: %i => number of chars: %i\n", c, c, strlen(c));
printf("d = %i\n", d);

Quote:
a = ----------------------------------------------------------------ccccccccc => address: 6299616 => number of chars: 73
b = --------------------------------ccccccccc => address: 6299648 => number of chars: 41
c = ccccccccc => address: 6299680 => number of chars: 9
d = 64

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort multiples clolumns of a file?

Hi all! here is the file i am trying to sort : GREIMBAJ00;BAN_CAV;Loader.sh;2003/06/13;17:04:04 GREIMBAJ00;PER_COT;Loader.sh;2003/06/13;17:04:16 GREIMBAJ00;PER_COT;Traitement.sh;2003/06/13;17:04:18 GREIMBAJ00;BAN_PAK;Loader.sh;2003/06/13;17:04:11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HowardIsHigh
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email multiples attachment files

I have a program the will split a large file into smaller files. It works great. I, however, have problem of email these file out to other people: I may have 1 or more files afer SPLIT datafileaa datafileab datafileac manually: mailx -s "data" email@email.com<datafileaa mailx -s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
5 Replies

3. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using cp for copying multiples files

Hi all, I've got this question about using cp for copying multiples files from the same source directory to another directory, considering that my working directory ain't the same of the source directory. Let me give you a simple example what I'm talking about: Suppose the following files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chapeupreto
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiples menu in ksh

Hi, IS possible in ksh to make multiples menus? For example: My menu. 1)Option1 1.1)Option1.1 2.3)Option1.2 2)Option2 2.1)Option2.1 . . . x)Exit I've tried with case but no success. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

join multiples seds

Hi I have this string with 3 seds.. cat /tmp/roletmp|sed "s/$role2del//" | sed "s/,,/,/" |sed "s/^,//" |sed 's/,$//' How can I join these 3 seds in one? regards Israel. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
3 Replies

7. Programming

multiples of 10 in java

Hi Guys, I wonder how can I determine when a given number is a multiple of another one in java. Let's say if I have 27 how can I determine whether is multiple of 5 using java programming. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arizah
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] lost multiples modules

hi guys I got linux Centos 5.5 on grub I got the latest kernel and updates which I really don't know what I did and I lost a lot of modules and my system is not working properly old kernel modules - this kernel is working fine # lsmod Module Size Used by autofs4 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk on multiples files

Ques from newbie I want to total column X from large number of files, and view totals for each file separately with the filename. I have tried: for i in `ls -1 *.pattern`; do cat "$i" | awk '{SUM += $4} END { printf("%8d\t%8d\n", $i,SUM) }'; done does not work. appreciate your help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Separate file into multiples Linux

Hi guys I am newbie in using linux, how can i Separate file into multiples linux. I want the lines with same parent and id numbers print out into same files. For example Gm17 5135289 5136789 . Parent=533;ID=534;Name=Glyma17g07060 - Gm17 5135289 5136789 . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
2 Replies
getzoneid(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					     getzoneid(3C)

NAME
getzoneid, getzoneidbyname, getzonenamebyid - map between zone id and name SYNOPSIS
#include <zone.h> zoneid_t getzoneid(void); zoneid_t getzoneidbyname(const char *name); ssize_t getzonenamebyid(zoneid_t id, char *buf, size_t buflen); DESCRIPTION
The getzoneid() function returns the zone ID of the calling process. The getzoneidbyname() function returns the zone ID corresponding to the named zone, if that zone is currently active. If name is NULL, the function returns the zone ID of the calling process. The getzonenamebyid() function stores the name of the zone with ID specified by id in the location specified by buf. The bufsize argument specifies the size in bytes of the buffer. If the buffer is too small to hold the complete null-terminated name, the first bufsize bytes of the name are stored in the buffer. A buffer of size {ZONENAME_MAX} is sufficient to hold any zone name. If buf is NULL or bufsize is 0, the name is not copied into the buffer. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, getzoneid() and getzoneidbyname() return a non-negative zone ID. Otherwise, getzoneidbyname() returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. On successful completion, the getzonenamebyid() function returns the buffer size required to hold the full null-terminated name. Otherwise, it returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The getzoneidbyname() function will fail if: EFAULT The name argument is non-null and points to an illegal address. EINVAL A zone with the indicated name is not active. ENAMETOOLONG The length of the name argument exceeds {ZONENAME_MAX}. The getzonenamebyid() function will fail if: EINVAL A zone with the specified ID is not active. EFAULT The buf argument points to an illegal address. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(2), chroot(2), malloc(3C), attributes(5), zones(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Nov 2004 getzoneid(3C)