Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users TNS no listener error when connecting to a new DB Post 302426334 by b_sri on Tuesday 1st of June 2010 02:11:20 PM
Old 06-01-2010
The TNS host is up an running. I can connect to the intended database from my local machine. The listener on the oracle host is definitely up and running
Also, The ports are correct in the file.

I want to make sure there is no setting that I am not aware of blocking the communication between the UNIX and the oracle host.

Thanks for the help - sri

---------- Post updated at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:41 PM ----------

so, we finally found the issue ... The linux SA had the vip address running on 2 nodes . it should have been listed on a single node

we were soo busy looking at the client side settings, that we missed the server side settings Smilie

Thanks for the response - Sri

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error connecting to sqlplus

Hi, I wrote a shell script to call oracle procedure. But when i am trying to connet sqlplus with the fallowing statement It is giving me error " callproce.sh : sqlplus: not found". What could be the problem. sqlplus -s $CONNECT_STRING >$LOGFILE <<!! thank u all papachi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: papachi
2 Replies

2. AIX

error connecting to wmserver

hello, when attempting to connect to an AIX 5.3 wsmserver via my web browser on port 9090 I receive the following error; Language received from client: GET Setlocale: C WServer.HANDSHAKING 50606 WServer.HANDSHAKING anyone know what this is? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuessh
2 Replies

3. Linux

After famous ORA-12514 error, another erro TNS-12535

Recently I was struggling to resolve ORA-12514 error, after I solved that there is a another error "TNS-12535: TNS: operation timed out". For your information in my machine I have disabled firewall & also added SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 10. But the problem is still persists. Again all your help is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yajneshilu
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

Hi everyone, when i run ; sqlplus -s username/password@TTTEST @umt.sql i take "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name" i want to run "umt.sql" query and also see result. thanx for your helping. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Oracle Listener Error on Red hat 5

Hello everybody, the reason why im posting this thread is because i've installed an oracle test database on RHEL 5, on a localhost (Since it is for test)... the thing is, after i have installed the DB it works just fine, but after i re start it, i get the following errors when i want to go into the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

TNS Timeout Error when connecting to SQLPLUS through scripts only

Hi, I am facing a strange issue when connecting to SQLPLUS via a shell scripts. I am using Linux 2.6.18-274.18.1 and gbash shell. When I connect to SQLPLUS through scripts then it throws TNS Time Out error ""sometimes"" and connects successfully other times.This is only happening when... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aashish.sharma8
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep all lines with the string "TNS-" but skip those with "TNS-12514"

Platform: Oracle Linux 6.3 From a log file, I want to grep all lines with the pattern "TNS-" but I want to skip those with the pattern "TNS-12514" . How can I do this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing old TNS entries with New one in multiple files

I have requirement to replace old TNS entries with New one in multiple files. one file may contain more then one occurrence of tns. Example: Below is the one of occurrence in a current file(s). i am interested to replace only red part. <connection-pool name="Google_APP_CP"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KDDubai333
4 Replies
ypset(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  ypset(8)

NAME
ypset - point ypbind at a particular server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ypset [-V1 | -V2] [-d domain] [-h host] server OPTIONS
Bind server for the (old) v.1 NIS protocol. Bind server for the (current) v.2 NIS protocol. If no version is supplied, ypset, first attempts to set the domain for the (current) v.2 protocol. If this attempt fails, ypset, then attempts to set the domain for the (old) v.1 protocol. Set ypbind's binding on host, instead of locally. The host can be spec- ified as a name or as an address. Use domain, instead of the default domain. DESCRIPTION
The ypset command tells ypbind to get Network Information Service (NIS) map information for the specified domain from the ypserv process running on server. If server is down, or isn't running ypserv, this is not discovered until an NIS client process tries to get a binding for the domain. At this point, the binding set by ypset will be tested by ypbind. If the binding is invalid, ypbind will attempt to rebind for the same domain. Note The ypbind process will refuse ypset requests unless -ypset or -ypsetme are specified when ypbind is started. The ypset command is useful for binding a client node which is not on a broadcast net, or is on a broadcast net which isn't running an NIS server host. It also is useful for debugging NIS client applications, for instance where an NIS map only exists at a single NIS server host. In cases where several hosts on the local net are supplying NIS services, it is possible for ypbind to rebind to another host even while you attempt to find out if the ypset operation succeeded. For example, you can type: % ypset host1 % ypwhich host2 which can be confusing. This is a function of the NIS subsystem's attempt to load-balance among the available NIS servers, and occurs when host1 does not respond to ypbind because it is not running ypserv (or is overloaded), and host2, running ypserv, gets the binding. The server indicates the NIS server to bind to, and can be specified as a name or an address. If specified as a name, ypset will attempt to use NIS services to resolve the name to an address. This will work only if the node has a current valid binding for the domain in ques- tion. In most cases, server should be specified as an address. Refer to ypfiles(4) and ypserv(8) for an overview of NIS. SEE ALSO
Commands: ypwhich(1), ypserv(8) Files: ypfiles(4) ypset(8)