Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to get start time of a running process Post 302426310 by akabir77 on Tuesday 1st of June 2010 12:14:40 PM
Old 06-01-2010
how to get start time of a running process

I am trying to see if a process is running what was its start time.

here is the code that I am using

Code:
if [ `ps -elf | grep batch_output_x | grep -cv grep` = 0 ]
then
    echo 'Gateway output processing started.' 
else       
 VAR=$(ps -ef | grep batch_output_x )

fi

now the problem i see is when the process is running i get two lines like this

Code:
splgwdv 29898 29893  0 11:01:20 pts/ta    0:00 grep batch_output_x
splgwdv 29827 18757  0 11:01:08 pts/tb    0:00 /usr/bin/ksh ./batch_output_x.sh

I need to get the second line time (11:01:08) as the first line is the current time.

Why is that line giving me two results
and how do I get the second line?
because when I am doing this

Code:
        VAR=$(ps -ef | grep batch_output_x )

FTP_HOUR=$(echo $VAR|cut -c23-24)
        FTP_MIN=$(echo $VAR|cut -c26-27)
        FTP_SEC=$(echo $VAR|cut -c29-30)

echo "Time: $FTP_HOUR:$FTP_MIN:$FTP_SEC"

its returning Time: 11:01:20

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start a process at boot up time

Hi, I have a program that check the IP address and automatic update it to the DNS server. I would like to run this program when the computer bootup after pppd get a connection. How do I add it to the init file. Does any one have any information of how to do it. I run a Linux Mandrake as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
1 Replies

2. Programming

get process start time

Hi all, I like to know how can I get currenlty running process start time and date , I know only porcess id in solaris and hp-ux and what is command to get same using ps with switch. Thanks Naeem (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naeem ahmad
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

to get process start date and time

what is command to get same using ps with switch. I know process id, by specify process id. It should work on solaris and hp-ux I will be happy if for both different commands. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naeem ahmad
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

start time of a terminated process

Hi, I have a shell script which i am running. I want it's starting time (the time when the execution of the shell script started) in another shell script. Note that the process has already terminated when i need it's starting time.... else i could have used ps -f | cut -d" " -f5... But that's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_chaaya
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

HP UX start process at boot time

When I get start program at boot I read which run level /sbin/rcx.d runlevel=0.....x only read directory which directory name has UpperCase 'S' is not enough someone says that I need to reference another file which file I need to reference 1)/etc/rc.config.d/all file which parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to get process start date and time in SOLARIS?

how can I get the process start date and time? using ps command i can get the timstamp for a process, which are started today. and only date (MMM DD) for others. i need to get both for all the running process. please help. Regards, Jagadeeswaran.K (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeeswaran.K
7 Replies

7. Linux

Process start time not showing correct time

Process start time is not showing the correct time: I had started a process on Jun 17th at 23:30:00. Next day morning when I run the command "ps -ef | grep mq", the process is showing the start date of Jun 17th but the start time is 00:16:41 Day/Date is setup correctly on the server. It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps showing inconsistent process start time

Not sure if it makes a difference but "foo" is a java process. The start time reported by various flavors of ps seems to be flopping back and forth by a minute. I have many (a few hundred) "foo" like processes which tend to be somewhat unstable and get restarted somewhat frequently, I wrote a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstrangfeld
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the start time for a JAVA Main running process

I have a script that executes a MAIN JAVA FILE It does check if the process is already running or not by using this code w_pid=`ps -efx | grep -v grep | grep "FileTransactionArchiveMain dvlp"|awk '{print $11}'` if then #echo 'Another instance is running.' exit fi Now I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akabir77
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)