Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create variables from directory list problem Post 302426306 by robp2175 on Tuesday 1st of June 2010 11:52:29 AM
Old 06-01-2010
Create variables from directory list problem

I am trying to take a list of directories in a folder and give them a variable name. I have this working with the exception that the shell_exec command wants to place a return. Here is my code which might explain better what I am trying to do:
PHP Code:
<?php
session_start
();
$student1=$_SESSION['student1'];
$week1=shell_exec("ls /var/www/sad/ | grep 201 | awk 'NR>1{exit};1'");
$page shell_exec("cat /var/www/sad/$week1/$student1/$student1.html");
echo 
"<pre>$page</pre>";
?>
I am not going to go into why I am trying to do this, but what ends up happening is the script tries to cat /var/www/sad/$week1 only because for some reason a return is held within the $week1 variable and it causes the script to treat /var/www/sad/$week1 and then $student1/$student1.html separately.

and I can't seem to figure out how to alleviate this problem.

I have tried:
Code:
ls /var/www/sad/ | head -1 | awk '{sub(/[ \t]+$/, "")};1'
ls /var/www/sad/ | head -1
ls /var/www/sad/ | awk 'NR < 2'

Everything places a return at the end of the string I am asking for. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Franklin52; 06-01-2010 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie problem with simple script to create a directory

script is: dirname= "$(date +%b%d)_$(date +%H%M)" mkdir $dirname should create a directory named Nov4_ Instead I get the following returned: root@dchs-pint-001:/=>./test1 ./test1: Nov04_0736: not found. Usage: mkdir Directory ... root@dchs-pint-001:/=> TOO easy, but what am I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwfay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create multiple list of files in a directory ?

Hi, i have say 100 files in a directory. file1.log file2.log file3.log file4.log file5.log file6.log ... ... ... file99.log file100.log ========= I need to create another file which contains the list of al these log files. each file should contain only 10 log file names. it shud... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create and access a directory in the same script using variables

I have a working script that defines the paths using variables which is used to move a rename files that are being archived. Is there a way to create a directory in the path with the date as the name and then reference it when moving the file to it? Here is what I have tried with no luck.... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Snickyt0310
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of directory contents

Well I did a search and didn't anything for my specific case. I got a directory with a bunch of text file. All of them have the following pattern on the filename "ABCD_<As of Date>.txt" Example: ABCD_20110301.txt ABCD_20110302.txt ABCD_20110303.txt All I want to accomplish is a Korn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shark Tek
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem when I try to create a directory on Solaris 8

Dear Gurus of solaris I have a problem when I try to create a directory when I enter in the /home/ directory and try to create a new directory appear the following error Why If I am root, Can any guru can help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help how to create a file (xml) list all files from directory

I have more than 10K songs in two directories on a hard drive. I would like to create a file list all of files name then change to .xml extension to upload to iPhone so I have a Karaoke list on my iPhone. I need your help to create a file by using command in Linux. Files names: 0001 More... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggcc
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to create variables to pass into a bash loop to create a download link

I have created one file that contains all the necessary info in it to create a download link. In each of the lines /results/analysis/output/Home/Auto_user_S5-00580-6-Medexome_67_032/plugin_out/FileExporter_out.67... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
packf(1mh)																packf(1mh)

Name
       packf - compress a folder into a single file

Syntax
       packf [ +folder ] [ msgs ] [ -file name ] [ -help ]

Description
       Each  message in a folder is normally stored as a separate file.  The command takes all messages from the current folder and copies them to
       a single specified file.  Each message in the file is separated by four <CTRL/A>s and a newline.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not want all the messages in a	folder	to
       be packed into one file, you can specify a number of messages or a range of messages with message numbers.

The first message packed will become the current message.  If you specify a +folder argument, that folder will become the current folder.

When messages have been packed into a file using you can separate them into individual messages using the command.  See

Options
       -file name
		 Specifies  the  file  in which you want the message(s) to be stored.  If you specify an existing file then the specified messages
		 will be appended to the end of that file.  Otherwise, a new file will be created and the messages placed in it.  If  you  do  not
		 specify  a  filename,	attempts  to  place the messages in a file called in the current working directory.  If this file does not
		 exist, asks whether you want to create it.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

The default settings for this command are:

+folder defaults to the current folder
	      msgs defaults to all
	      -file ./msgbox

Examples
       The first example shows all the messages in the folder being packed into a file called
       % packf +lrp -file planning

The next example shows how prompts you if you do not specify a -file option.  A file called is created by in your home directory, and  mes-
       sages 3 to 5 are packed into it:
       % packf +lrp 3-5
       Create file "/machine/disk/username/msgbox"? y

Profile Components
       Path:	      To determine the user's Mail directory
       Msg-Protect:   To set protections when creating a new file

Files
       $HOME/.mh_profile   The user profile.

See Also
       burst(1mh)

packf(1mh)