Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to get system time
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get system time Post 302426288 by funksen on Tuesday 1st of June 2010 10:00:34 AM
Old 06-01-2010
Code:
date +"%H:%M:%S"

Code:
15:59:35

This User Gave Thanks to funksen For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring system available time

Hi, I am new to Unix. I have an application which i need to monitor it for the available system time. If the system is down, i need to send an email notifying the downtime. Can someone provide a sample code or shell script to perform the above activity. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
3 Replies

2. Programming

getting the system time with ms percision

I would like to get the system time down to the milli second. Is there any way to do this. clock_gettime only gives you the time to the nearest second. How can I get it down to the nearest milli second? THanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dmirza
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Startup Time

Hi all, Can anyone tell me how to find the System Startup time. Currently I am using "who -b" to get last reboot time. I wanted to know is there any log file for SCO Openserver 5, in which all this sort of imformations are kept. I have tried searching the forum with words like "WHO... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoeb_syed
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

System time

Hey all, I need to write a script which will invoke another script everything 5 minutes until certain time is reached (say 4:00 pm). Can anyone give me some pointers please? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

System time comparison to fixed defined time

I have a requirement of checking the current system time and performing certain actions in a shell script. example: if the current system time is greater than 1400 hrs, then perform step 1,2,3 if the current system time is greater than 1000 hrs, then perform step 1,2 if the current system time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zainravi
2 Replies

6. Solaris

getting time independent of system time in solaries

i am using function gethrtime() in sun solaries to get the time independent of the system time.Problem with this function is if we restart the system time will change to '0'.is there any other way to resolve this problem. thanks & regards suresh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_rtp
3 Replies

7. Solaris

System time and Cron time stamp not matching

On Solaris 10 server the system date won't match with the timestamp on files created by a cron jobs, Please help here is what i get when i check for system date infodba-ie10ux014:/tcpdv1_ie10/tcadmin/bin\n\r-> date Tue Apr 24 15:27:43 GMT 2012at same time i executed a cron job, and checked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karghum
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what would a script include to find CPU's %system time high and user time high?

Hi , I am trying to :wall: my head while scripting ..I am really new to this stuff , never did it before :( . how to find cpu's system high time and user time high in a script?? thanks , help would be appreciated ! :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushwey
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Additional time to system time

Hi All, Is there any command to add additional time to date command. I need to add 5 hours to the present system time. I am getting the time by using date command. WORKFLOW_START_TIME=`date +%m/%d/%Y\ %H:%M:%S` Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
8 Replies

10. Linux

Time: Hwclock and System Time

Hey everyone. Upon studying linux trying to learn it inside and out, I'm reading about the issue of time. Hardware clock time vs the more commonly referenced System Time. What causes the two to grow apart, and what causes the time itself to stray away from UTC? at present my clock is a second and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lost in Cyberia
1 Replies
SERVICE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						SERVICE(8)

NAME
service -- control (start/stop/etc.) or list system services SYNOPSIS
service -e service -R service [-v] -l | -r service [-v] <rc.d script> start|stop|etc. DESCRIPTION
The service command is an easy interface to the rc.d system. Its primary purpose is to start and stop services provided by the rc.d scripts. When used for this purpose it will set the same restricted environment that is in use at boot time (see below). It can also be used to list the scripts using various criteria. The options are as follows: -e List services that are enabled. The list of scripts to check is compiled using rcorder(8) the same way that it is done in rc(8), then that list of scripts is checked for an "rcvar" assignment. If present the script is checked to see if it is enabled. -R Restart all enabled local services. -l List all files in /etc/rc.d and the local startup directories. As described in rc.conf(5) this is usually /usr/local/etc/rc.d. All files will be listed whether they are an actual rc.d script or not. -r Generate the rcorder(8) as in -e above, but list all of the files, not just what is enabled. -v Be slightly more verbose ENVIRONMENT
When used to run rc.d scripts the service command sets HOME to / and PATH to /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin which is how they are set in /etc/rc at boot time. EXIT STATUS
The service utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following are examples of typical usage of the service command: service named status service -rv The following programmable completion entry can be use in bash(1) for the names of the rc.d scripts: _service () { local cur cur=${COMP_WORDS[COMP_CWORD]} COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W '$( service -l )' -- $cur ) ) return 0 } complete -F _service service SEE ALSO
bash(1) (ports/shells/bash), rc.conf(5), rc(8), rcorder(8) HISTORY
The service utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Douglas Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
December 11, 2012 BSD