Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strange login behaviour
Operating Systems HP-UX Strange login behaviour Post 302426281 by vbe on Tuesday 1st of June 2010 09:31:14 AM
Old 06-01-2010
What OS version?
How do you connect and from what?
(PC using X software? how is it configure e.g. using XDMCP protocol...? etc...)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/passwd strange behaviour!

Hi there, first of all, here is my conf of a uname -a Linux SAMBA 2.4.18-4GB #1 Wed Mar 27 13:57:05 UTC 2002 i686 unknown on a fedora machine. Here is my problem: every once in a while, the line containing root disappears in the /etc/passwd, disabling all logging on my server. Any one have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this : I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory. Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions. Note:I log in as not the owner,but user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange sed behaviour

$ echo a.bc | sed -e "s/\|/\\|/g" |a|.|b|c| $ Is the behavior of the sed statement expected ? Or is this a bug in sed ? OS details Linux 2.6.9-55.0.0.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:59:56 PDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Program behaviour

Had a strange thing going on with my code. It's ok I figured it out for myself.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour from sed???

Hi all, I want to do a very simple thing with sed. I want to print out the line number of a disk I have defined in /etc/exports, so I do: It's all good, but here's the problem. When I define md0 in a variable, I get nothing from sed: Why is that? can anybody please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script strange behaviour

Hi people, I'm having some strange behaviour with an 'expect' script. spawn csession blah expect "Username: " send "userblah\r" expect "Password: " send "passwordblah\r" interact When I execute the script as root it runs perfectly. However, when executed as any other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarciasMuffin
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour with perl i/o?

Hi All, I got a strange problem here. I have a perl script which is fetching data from a database table and writing a file with that data. If i run that script from linux command line, the file it creates is a normal ascii text file without any binary character in it.But... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange RegExp Behaviour

Hello, I was trying to identify lines who has a word of the following pattern "xyyx" (where x, and ys are different characters). I was trying the following grep - egrep '(\S)()\2\1' This pattern do catches the wanted pattern, but it also catches "GGGG" or "CCCC" patterns. I was trying to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itskov
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Crontab strange behaviour

Hi all, I'm having this scenario which for the moment I cannot resolve. :( I wrote a script to make a dump/export of the oracle database. and then put this entry on crontab to be executed daily for example. The script is like below: cat /home/oracle/scripts/db_backup.sh #!/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies
rhosts(5)							File Formats Manual							 rhosts(5)

Name
       rhosts - list of hosts that are logically equivalent to the local host

Syntax
       /$HOME/.rhosts

Description
       The  file  allows  a  user  who has an account on the local host to log in from a remote host without supplying a password.  It also allows
       remote copies to the local host.

If the file exists, it is located in a user's home directory.  It is not a mandatory file, however.

The format of a file entry is:
       hostname [username]
       The hostname is the name of the remote host from which the user wants to log into the local host.  The username is the user's login name on
       the remote host.  If you do not specify a user name, the user must have the same login name on both the remote and local hosts.

The  host  names  listed in the file may optionally contain the local BIND domain name.	For more information on BIND, see the Guide to the
       BIND/Hesiod Service.

If a user is logged in to and wants to log in to a host called without supplying a password, she must:

o    Have an account on

o    Create a file in her home directory on

o    Specify host1 ginger as an entry in the file.
	    If has the same login on both and she can simply specify host1 in her entry.  You can allow the superuser of a remote system to log in
	    to your system without password protection or perform a remote copy by having a file in the root ( / ) directory, but it is not recom-
	    mended.
	    In addition to having a file, the superuser needs a terminal entry in the file for each pseudoterminal configured in the system.   The
	    secure entry looks similar to the following:
	    ttyp3      none    network	       secure
	    See the reference page for more information.

Examples
       The  following is a sample file for the user It is located in her home directory on She also has accounts on the hosts called and Her login
       name on and is the same as on but her login on is

To enable to log in to from and without supplying a password, her on should contain the following entries:
       machine1
       system1	gordon
       host3

See Also
       hosts.equiv(5), ttys(5)
       Introduction to Networking and Distributed System Services

rhosts(5)