Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: counting prefixes of files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting counting prefixes of files Post 302425914 by malcomex999 on Monday 31st of May 2010 04:32:20 AM
Old 05-31-2010
Try if i understand you correctly...

Code:
ls -1 | awk -F\_ '{print $1,++arr[$1]}'

This User Gave Thanks to malcomex999 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting files

Which one line command can count and print to the screen the number of files containing "a" or "A" in their name (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Edy
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with counting files please

Hi all. If I have a unix directory with multiple files, lets say, I have some with .dat extensions, some with .txt extensions, etc etc. How in a script would I provide a count of all the different file types (so, the different extensions, I guess) in the directory?? So if I had: test.dat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerard1
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Counting up files

Hi, I have a load of if statements that look for files in a directory, I want to be able to count them up and the total files confirmed in an email? I ahve tried expr but i this does not work and it only reads in the first if and ignores the rest. Please see script, #!/bin/ksh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting rows in many files

I'm regularly counting the number of rows in a number of files. I need to know how many rows their are in all files together. Counting rows in one file I can handle, but how do I count rows in all at once? I'd be grateful for any answer. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrZoidberg
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi editor prefixes lines with # upon paste

I've been away from Unix and the vi editor for a while, and now I'm using vi (actually vim) in a Cygwin bash shell. When I copy-and-paste code examples (I'm playing with perl now) any time I paste code with lines beginning with the # character, vi inserts a # character at the beginning of every... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenmangroup
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting Files

In a script, how would I go about finding the number of files for the first parameter after my script name? For instance, my script name is myscript.sh and the folder I am checking is not the current working directory, lets say it's folder1. so I type myscript.sh folder1 This script below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Confirmed104
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start from the prefixes, delete script

My folder is/app2/istech/scratch, which contain all the below files. I need to delete the files which start from the prefixes. dup_events_*.* Event_*.* New_time_*.* New_Loc_*.* New_Uptime_*.* Detailed_Reason*.* cmt_dup_*.* Uptime_*.* Can anyone please let me know how to write a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsnaveen
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting files without ls or wc

i need to write a shell script to "count the number of files in the current directory but without using either ls or wc command"..... please help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lexicon
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove prefixes before dot

Shell : Bash shell I have a text file with entries like below srv.sr_num sr_number, atvx.ATTRIB_37 Product_Name, ktx.X_ATTRIB_52 Product_Type, mkx.created sr_created_date, nbv.sr_cat_type_cd sr_type, bkrx.sr_area sr_category, .. frx.order_id, des.stats_name , fpxg.current_id_name, ...... .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
3 Replies
GET_DEFINED_VARS(3)							 1						       GET_DEFINED_VARS(3)

get_defined_vars - Returns an array of all defined variables

SYNOPSIS
array get_defined_vars (void ) DESCRIPTION
This function returns a multidimensional array containing a list of all defined variables, be them environment, server or user-defined variables, within the scope that get_defined_vars(3) is called. RETURN VALUES
A multidimensional array with all the variables. EXAMPLES
Example #1 get_defined_vars(3) Example <?php $b = array(1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8); $arr = get_defined_vars(); // print $b print_r($arr["b"]); /* print path to the PHP interpreter (if used as a CGI) * e.g. /usr/local/bin/php */ echo $arr["_"]; // print the command-line parameters if any print_r($arr["argv"]); // print all the server vars print_r($arr["_SERVER"]); // print all the available keys for the arrays of variables print_r(array_keys(get_defined_vars())); ?> SEE ALSO
isset(3), get_defined_functions(3), get_defined_constants(3). PHP Documentation Group GET_DEFINED_VARS(3)