Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to increase hard disk in linux Post 302425881 by pludi on Monday 31st of May 2010 03:17:01 AM
Old 05-31-2010
The disk is (probably) attached as /dev/hdb. Check the output of dmesg to be sure. Now, create a new partition on the disk by running fdisk. I'd suggest creating an explicit LVM partition to add it to the existing VG.

Then, initialize the new partition for use with LVM, add it to the existing VG, and either create a new LV, or extend the existing:
Code:
pvcreate /dev/hdb1 #Initialize
vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/hdb1 #Extend VG
lvextend +L100M VolGroup00/LogVol00 # Extend LV
lvcreate -n LogVol02 -L100M VolGroup00 # Create new LV

Use the LVs as you would any other partition.

For more details on LVM, see the RHEL 5 LVM Guide
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I increase the disk quota for a directory?

I know very basic Unix commands s I would really appreciate the assistance of a Unix guru. I am installing an application on a Sun server, when attempting to install I get an error that says I do not have enough space allocated for my install directory (/ACEMS). Error says it has 7235m but needs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rhack
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I increase disk space available to a directory?

I know very basic Unix commands s I would really appreacite the assistance of a Unix guru. I am installing an application on a Sun server, when attempting to install I get an error that says I do not have enough sapce allocated for my install directory. Error says it has 7235m but needs 15360m.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhack
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

5. AIX

How to increase Virtual Disk size

Hello, I am working AIX VIO server and extended Virtual Disk of one of the Partition with 10GB. After starting partition, i am not able to see increased size of disk. Can you please help me what I need to do to increase the size of virtual disk from partition? Thanks Kishor ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorbhede
7 Replies

6. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

7. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

8. Solaris

Delete syslog but size disk can't increase

Hi Experts, I have a problem wih /var. Disk /var is full. After i investigate, i found file /var/log/syslog.0 is growing rapidly. The size is 4.3G. I tried to move syslog.0 to another disk and file was moved successfully. My question is why size /var can't increase? used space still 100%. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
7 Replies

9. SCO

Increase disk size on OS side on the fly

Hi, I'm Linux administrator who happens to 'administer' SCO Unix 5.0.7, which is virtual server on VMware - deployed from official ovf image. My problem is that root filesystem is almost out of disk space, and we've decided to do it as we do on every other virtual servers and extend disk on... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldenboy
13 Replies

10. Solaris

Increase disk size of guest domain

Host System: SPARC S7-2 Server; 2x8-core CPUs; 128Gb RAM; 2x600Gb HDD. running Solaris 11.3. Last login: Tue Sep 19 14:42:42 2017 from xxx.xxx.xxx Oracle Corporation SunOS 5.11 11.3 June 2017 $ uname -a SunOS sog01 5.11 11.3 sun4v sparc sun4v $ Original physical systems: Sun... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apmcd47
0 Replies
PVCREATE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       PVCREATE(8)

NAME
pvcreate - initialize a disk or partition for use by LVM SYNOPSIS
pvcreate [-d|--debug] [-f[f]|--force [--force]] [-y|--yes] [-h|--help] [-v|--verbose] [-V|--version] PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume...] DESCRIPTION
pvcreate initializes PhysicalVolume for later use by the Logical Volume Manager (LVM). Each PhysicalVolume can be a disk partition, whole disk, meta device, or loopback file. For DOS disk partitions, the partition id must be set to 0x8e using fdisk(8), cfdisk(8), or a equiva- lent. For whole disk devices only the partition table must be erased, which will effectively destroy all data on that disk. This can be done by zeroing the first sector with: dd if=/dev/zero of=PhysicalVolume bs=512 count=1 Continue with vgcreate(8) to create a new volume group on PhysicalVolume, or vgextend(8) to add PhysicalVolume to an existing volume group. OPTIONS -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -f, --force Force the creation without any confirmation. You can not recreate (reinitialize) a physical volume belonging to an existing volume group. In an emergency you can override this behaviour with -ff. In no case case can you initialize an active physical volume with this command. -s, --size Overrides the size of the physical volume which is normally retrieved. Useful in rare case where this value is wrong. More useful to fake large physical volumes of up to 2 Terabyes - 1 Kilobyte on smaller devices for testing purposes only where no real access to data in created logical volumes is needed. If you wish to create the supported maximum, use "pvcreate -s 2147483647k PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume ...]". All other LVM tools will use this size with the exception of lvmdiskscan(8) -y, --yes Answer yes to all questions. -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -v, --verbose Gives verbose runtime information about pvcreate's activities. -V, --version Print the version number on standard output and exit successfully. Example Initialize partition #4 on the third SCSI disk and the entire fifth SCSI disk for later use by LVM: pvcreate /dev/sdc4 /dev/sde DIAGNOSTICS
pvcreate returns an exit code of 0 for success or > 0 for error: 1 no physical volume on command line 2 error removing existing lvmtab entry for new physical volume 3 error setting up physical volume structure 4 error writing physical volume structure to disk 5 wrong partition type identifier 6 error physical volume name 7 error getting size of physical volume 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8), vgextend(8), lvcreate(8), cfdisk(8), fdisk(8), losetup(8), mdadd(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS PVCREATE(8)