Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting howto add line as a first line into a non empty file Post 302425844 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 30th of May 2010 06:58:04 PM
Old 05-30-2010
one way:
Code:
echo "$variable" > tmpfile
cat oldfile >> tmpfile
mv tmp oldfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing an empty line in a file (perl)

I know this must be really easy, but i can't get it to work I've got a perl script, with a file. I want to print an empty line, and the following doesn't seem to work: print nameoffile "\n" thanks for your help!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfad
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the Empty line in csv file

Hi all, I have one CSV file(MasterFile.csv) consists of two columns. "./incoming/ABC.CSV","./incoming/ABC_CONTROL.txt" "./incoming/PQR.CSV","./incoming/PQR_CONTROL.txt" "./incoming/123.CSV","./incoming/123_CONTROL.txt" I have written a script to read the MasterFile.csv.Here i want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sollins
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add new parameters into a line, and redirect the line to other file

How can i add new parameters into a line, and redirect the line to other file? For example: 1.sh name:owner google:richard youtube:student I want a, for example 2.sh with: name:owner:description google:richard:search site youtube:student:video site In the 2.sh, I added a new column:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafazz
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the empty line by adding line before blank line

FIle A "A" 2 aa 34 3 ac 5 cd "B" 3 hu 67 4 fg 5 gy output shud be A"" 2 aa 34 "A" 3 ac 34 "A" 5 cd 34 "B" 3 hu 67 "B" 4 fg 67 "B" 5 gy 67 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding New empty line in a file

Hi, I am new to Sed /awk commands. using that i want to add new empty line after every line in a file by leaving first three lines. So, can any one help me out how to achieve this. Example: --------- Input Filename: file1.txt Input Data: --------Report-------- Date:20-10-03... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to know how to replace a line after a pattern match with an empty line using SED

Hi How Are you? I am doing fine! I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Basically I need to replace the entire line containing "doing" with a blank line: I need to the following output: Hi How Are you? I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
1 Replies

7. Programming

[SOLVED] C++ print next line until line.empty

Hi, could you please help with the following: I have an input file like: one two three four five six I want to print the lines starting from 'three' to the empty line. Something like that: if ( line == "three" ) { while ( !line.empty() ) { cout <<... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace and add line in file with line in another file based on matching string

Hi, I want to achieve something similar to what described in another post: The difference is I want to add the line if the pattern is not found. File 1: A123, valueA, valueB B234, valueA, valueB C345, valueA, valueB D456, valueA, valueB E567, valueA, valueB F678, valueA, valueB ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu3
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete everything after empty line in file

Hello, I am trying to remove everything coming after empty line under ubuntu14.04. How may I do it? file: aaa 020390 bb00id3 c03wisi 209dl x092sia 0290s I expect: aaa 020390 bb00id3 c03wisi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies
TMPFILE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							TMPFILE(3)

NAME
tmpfile - create a temporary file SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> FILE *tmpfile(void); DESCRIPTION
The tmpfile() function opens a unique temporary file in binary read/write (w+b) mode. The file will be automatically deleted when it is closed or the program terminates. RETURN VALUE
The tmpfile() function returns a stream descriptor, or NULL if a unique filename cannot be generated or the unique file cannot be opened. In the latter case, errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EACCES Search permission denied for directory in file's path prefix. EEXIST Unable to generate a unique filename. EINTR The call was interrupted by a signal; see signal(7). EMFILE The per-process limit on the number of open file descriptors has been reached. ENFILE The system-wide limit on the total number of open files has been reached. ENOSPC There was no room in the directory to add the new filename. EROFS Read-only filesystem. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +----------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +----------+---------------+---------+ |tmpfile() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +----------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C89, C99, SVr4, 4.3BSD, SUSv2. NOTES
POSIX.1-2001 specifies: an error message may be written to stdout if the stream cannot be opened. The standard does not specify the directory that tmpfile() will use. Glibc will try the path prefix P_tmpdir defined in <stdio.h>, and if that fails the directory /tmp. SEE ALSO
exit(3), mkstemp(3), mktemp(3), tempnam(3), tmpnam(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2016-03-15 TMPFILE(3)