Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shared directory permissions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shared directory permissions Post 302425748 by redhead on Saturday 29th of May 2010 04:24:41 PM
Old 05-29-2010
They only hold read permission for the group, it's only the ovner who has write permission, which is required in order to delete a file.

Either the user needs to additionaly set group +w, or you will have to enforce this permission on the sructure through your mount settings.
The later part is only acceptable if the location where these files will be created are as a seperate partition, thus enforcing specific permission on the entire partition.

[edit]
If this has something todo with several users interacting on a common project, why not run it through CVS or subversion ?
This User Gave Thanks to redhead For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine owner directory permissions from within the directory

From within a directory, how do I determine whether I have write permission for it. test -w pwd ; echo ? This doesn't work as it returns false, even though I have write permission. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permissions of a directory

Read and write bits make sense for a directory but what about the execute permission bit What does that imply?Is it just a filler? Saurabh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smehra
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy file from UNIX to shared directory

Hi, I want to copy a file from unix machine to a shared windows directory. i tried using the ftp command but i was able to transfer the file only to my local directory. Is there any way we can transfer/copy the files from unix to windows shared directory.......... Please help. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sireesha15
5 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Shared Home directory between Unix servers

Hi Im working in an environment where 2 production and 2 testing unix servers are used.. All these servers share the same home directory.. how is it done where would the home directory be located (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav288
0 Replies

5. Solaris

shared directory

how can I make a shared directory between two UNIX servers??? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mm00123
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Permissions

Hi all. Only one of the following makes any kind of sense as a possible permission field for a UNIX file. Which one? --w------- ----rwxrwx -r-------- --rwx----- ----r----- I think it is no. 3. I dont think it would be 2, because why would you want to give groups and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawaiifiver
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking directory permissions on UNIX directory

Hi, How do i check if I have read/write/execute rights on a UNIX directory? What I'm doing is checking read access on the files but i also want to check if user has rights on the direcory in whcih these files are present. if then...... And I check if the directory exists by using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files in a shared directory

At work, we have a shared directory where we modify files via ssh. This can be an issue if two people unknowingly try to open and modify the same file. Sure, one user could send a mass e-mail/IM to the group, letting everyone know when he/she is accessing a file, but I was wondering if there was a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Directory Permissions for 2 users on 1 directory

we want to allow user to FTP files into a directory, and then the program (PLSQL) will read and process the file, and then move the file to other directory for archiving. the user id: uftp1, group: ftp the program run in oracle database, thus have the user Id: oraprod, group: dba how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siakhooi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory permissions

i have an application that writes to a directory. let's call the directory: /var/app/ the permissions of this directory is: drwxrwxr-x Now the files that the application creates in this directory usually dont have read permissions for others. i know there's something called... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
CGCONFIGPARSER(8)						 libcgroup Manual						 CGCONFIGPARSER(8)

NAME
cgconfigparser - setup control group file system SYNOPSIS
cgconfigparser [-h] [-l <filename>] [-L <directory>] [...] OPTIONS
-h, --help Displays help. -l, --load=FILE Parses the control groups configuration file Sets up the control group file system defined by the configuration file and mounts mount points defined by the configuration file. The format of the file is described in cgconfig.conf. This option can be used mul- tiple times and can be mixed with -L option. -L, --load-directory=DIR Finds all files in given directory and parses them in alphabetical order like they were specified by -l option. This option can be used multiple times and can be mixed with -l option. -a <agid>:<auid> defines the default owner of the rest of the defined control group's files. These users are allowed to set subsystem parameters and create subgroups. The default value is the same as has the parent cgroup. -d, --dperm=mode sets the default permissions of a control groups directory. The permissions needs to be specified as octal numbers e.g. -d 775. -f, --fperm=mode sets the default permissions of the control group files. The permissions needs to be specified as octal numbers e.g. -f 775. The value is not used as given because the current owner's permissions are used as an umask (so 777 will set group and others permis- sions to the owners permissions). -s, --tperm=mode sets the default permissions of the control group tasks files. The permissions needs to be specified as octal numbers e.g. -f 775. The value is not used as given because the current owner's permissions are used as an umask (so 777 will set group and others per- missions to the owners permissions). -t <tuid>:<tgid> defines the default owner of tasks file of the defined control group. I.e. this user and members of this group have write access to the file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
CGROUP_LOGLEVEL controls verbosity of the tool. Allowed values are DEBUG, INFO, WARNING or ERROR. SEE ALSO
cgconfig.conf (5) Linux 2009-03-16 CGCONFIGPARSER(8)