Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is there any mistake in this code: Post 302425744 by bigearsbilly on Saturday 29th of May 2010 03:47:35 PM
Old 05-29-2010
what happens is:

the shell reads the command line, substitutes parameters
then it will spot the redirect which says
"truncate the file and send ouput to it".
so it truncates the file.
only then does it run the command, but by then the
file's been trashed.

see?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab Mistake!!!

Hi. I hope someone can help me with this problem. Being a novice to Unix, I editted my crontab directly by typing " crontab -e ". Well, I needed to make some changes so, I typed " crontab -r ". Now I have no crontab, and I can't seem to get crontab to write a new file. I' ve tried: vi... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
4 Replies

2. AIX

Did a Mistake with HACMP

Hi, I needed space on a FS, and when I've added the space on the filesystem, I did it trough the regular smitty fs inteface and not with smitty cl_lvm. Can someone help me to repair the situat before a faileover happen ? Thanks for your help,:mad: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: azzed27
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't find the mistake in sed expression

Hi there, Can anyone help me find the correct expression for sed. I want to repace iface eth0 inet wathever with iface eth0 inet static Thanks for your help Santiago (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Renamed lib directory by mistake

Let's say someone accidentally renamed the lib directory in Solaris 8, and now they cannot get into the terminal or even rename the folder via file manager.What would one do? (37 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetjaguar
37 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleted the scripts in Crontab by mistake

hi, instead of typing crontab -e i gave crontab -r and hit enter. So i lost all my scripts. Is there any way to restore the deleted scripts? Please help me out Thanks Ajay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayakunuri
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Probably some stupid mistake...

Hi everyone ! I have a file wich look like this : >Sis01 > Sis02 ... >Sis44 I want to separe each paragraphe in a different file, so I decide to use the "FOR" loop + sed. for f in {01..44} do (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sluvah
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can anyone help me to spot my mistake?

Hi there can anyone help me to spot my mistake and please explain why it appears My code : #!/usr/bin/gawk -f BEGIN { bytes =0} { temp=$(grep "datafeed\.php" | cut -d" " -f8) bytes += temp} END { printf "Number of bytes: %d\n", bytes } when I am running ./q411 an411 an411: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange type mistake?!

Hi, I want to start MY_PROGRAM in a bash script with additional parameters given in the CONFIGURATION_ARRAY. IFS="'" CONFIGURATION_ARRAY=( '-N 0 -m 0' '-N 0 -m 1' ) for configuration in ${CONFIGURATION_ARRAY} do //DEBUG N=${configuration%-*} //-N 0 M=-${configuration##*-} //-m 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xraystorm
5 Replies

9. Programming

Archive script spot a mistake?

#!/bin/bash source=/to_be_archived dest=/archived echo "is this archive for an audio tar press (t) or an audio directory press (d)" read option case $option in d) cd "$source" echo "please specify full path to directory you want to be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
6 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)