Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to install new version of tar under solaris 9 Post 302425668 by pseudocoder on Friday 28th of May 2010 11:42:10 PM
Old 05-29-2010
Assuming you got it from here (Index of /ftp/pub/freeware/sparc/9), then the .message file in the parent directory says that it's most likely a gzipped pkgadd file, hence I guess it can be installed with the pkgadd command (Man Page for pkgadd)

---------- Post updated at 05:42 ---------- Previous update was at 05:36 ----------

Also check this: Download and Installation Instructions. There I found following:
Code:
cd /tmp
gunzip foo-1.00-sol8-sparc-local.gz
pkgadd -d foo-1.00-sol8-sparc-local

Last edited by pseudocoder; 05-29-2010 at 12:42 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I tell what version of tar I have?

I know this should be easy, but Google is not turning up any results: How can I find out what version of software (like tar and gzip) I have installed on my Sun box? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

HP tar version

Guys, I need to know what version of tar i am using in our HP B11.11 box (model = 9000/800/rp8420 ). We have created a tar file and i wanted to know if the tar version i used supported 8GB-sized files (Check sanity of the archived file). As you know old version of tar is limited to files... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marlonus999
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: how to preserve atime? (also on extracted version, not just original)

How do I make tar set the correct atime on the extracted version? The option --atime-preserve works just on the original, not on the extracted file. The extracted files always have current time as atime, which is bad. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankie06
10 Replies

4. Solaris

After update Solaris version, HBA driver still need to install?

Hi all I had update a server from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 is it the HBA driver still need to reinstall? since i can get the driver info as below: root@sgerpdev # fcinfo hba-port HBA Port WWN: 21000003ba9b58a3 OS Device Name: /dev/cfg/c1 Manufacturer: QLogic Corp. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
1 Replies

5. AIX

install two different compiler version

Hi all. I have a simple question. There's a way to install under AIX system (5.3) two different compiler version, i.e. ibm xlf fortran 11 and 12? Seems that smitty doesn't allows user to change the default installation path; it only allows you to save the replaced files of the superseded... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poldo000
1 Replies

6. AIX

tar version

Hi How to find the version of tar installed in my aix box ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 install dvd drive boots, but not recoginized by install process

I am trying to build a Sun Ultra 10 with solaris 10. This computer is one of a collection that was donated to the non-profic company I work for. All media was wiped before I recieved them, so I am starting from stratch. I downloaded the Solaris 10 ISO and burned a DVD. The computer came with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwillhight
4 Replies

8. Linux

How to install *.pkg.tar.tar on Linux?

Hi Guys, I need some suggestion as how to install openssl-1.0.1.g-1-i686.pkg.tar.tar openssl-1.0.1.g-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.tar on Linux system? is for 32bit system and other is for 64 bit system linux machine. How to untar them? I tried few commands but did not work. I need to upgrade to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
5 Replies

9. Fedora

How to download latest version of cmake using tar xzf?

...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry burns
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check tar version in Solaris?

for pkg in `pkginfo | grep tar | grep application | awk '{print $2}'`; do pkginfo -l $pkg | grep VERSION; done Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svijayas
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)