Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to set VI editor column size on Solaris? Post 302425666 by adelsin on Friday 28th of May 2010 11:21:25 PM
Old 05-29-2010
Just out of curiosity, how are you connecting to said Solaris machine? Through another machine or ssh using Putty or console?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to set path for the EDITOR variable?

For some reason something has changing in my AIX environment where when I type: ACLEDIT filename ...I get: 3002-104 acledit: EDITOR environment variable must be full pathname I know I need to reset the EDITOR variables path to /usr/bin/vi but I can't remember the syntax anyone? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

2. Solaris

where can i set editor option to yes

Hi all I am new to this forum (just registered) I need help from you guys Even if it is a basic question please don't hesitate to answer.Any answer will be helpful to me I am unable to get the previously entered commands by pressing uparrow When i enered uparrow it is giving ^[[A I got... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle_sri
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

VI editor,column postion

In VI editor ctrl + g is used indicate the line number on which the cursor is placed...similarly is there a way to determine the column number of the cursor position..? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi editor, copy one column?

This is an vi editor question. I do not know is this a right place to ask this question or not? I have a file with the following contents, 10 11 20 21 30 31 I want to copy first column that is 10,20,30 after second column, so that output will look like the following, 10 11 10 20 21 20... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeetP
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete a specific column using vi editor?

Hello Experts, I'm a newbie so please excuse any wrong doings. I have a file that looks like this. abc def ghi jkl mno def abc ghi mno jkl ghi def mno jkl abc I would like the file to look like this abc def ghi jklmno def abc ghi mnojkl ghi def mno jklabc in other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnebiolo
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing 2nd Column in Vi Editor

I have text like this M83-306 132 797 M83-312 145 685 M83-315 321 479 M83-319 654 193 M83-350 556 1184 M83-303 222 199 and I want to make it like this M83-306 797 M83-312 685 M83-315 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: muhnandap
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swapping column in vi editor

is there any command in vi editor to turn this 986.000 4.026.000 775.328.625 9.319.003.000 986.000 4.036.000 775.328.625 9.318.803.000 986.000 4.046.000 775.328.625 9.318.603.000 986.000 4.056.000 775.328.625 9.318.403.000 become this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muhnandap
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a column using vi editor

How do i remove a column using vi editor Assuming the file to be of format 1: 010 0xad45 sp1 - 11:29:51.498583949 500249144 Event1 rst bcfe jhv rgc 456: 010 0xadb sp2 - 11:29:51.498600605 4464 Event0abcrd adabc aasd 45: 010 0x10 sp0 - 11:29:51.498614165 13560 Back adxca... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp0
6 Replies

10. Solaris

How to change pset.size value in processor set in Solaris zone?

Hi I have a pool name yuk-pool and its associated pset is yuk-pset. It has a min value is 20 and max value is 56. But size field has 48 value . This same pool is assign to 4 local zones. Whenever Cpu usage is high on one local zone it impact the cpu usage at other local zone as well during high... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sb200
1 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id -- use locally available keys to authorise logins on a remote machine SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-f] [-n] [-i [identity_file]] [-p port] [-o ssh_option] [user@]hostname ssh-copy-id -h | -? DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh(1) to log into a remote machine (presumably using a login password, so password authentication should be enabled, unless you've done some clever use of multiple identities). It assembles a list of one or more fingerprints (as described below) and tries to log in with each key, to see if any of them are already installed (of course, if you are not using ssh-agent(1) this may result in you being repeatedly prompted for pass-phrases). It then assembles a list of those that failed to log in, and using ssh, enables logins with those keys on the remote server. By default it adds the keys by appending them to the remote user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys (creating the file, and directory, if necessary). It is also capable of detecting if the remote system is a NetScreen, and using its 'set ssh pka-dsa key ...' command instead. The options are as follows: -i identity_file Use only the key(s) contained in identity_file (rather than looking for identities via ssh-add(1) or in the default_ID_file). If the filename does not end in .pub this is added. If the filename is omitted, the default_ID_file is used. Note that this can be used to ensure that the keys copied have the comment one prefers and/or extra options applied, by ensuring that the key file has these set as preferred before the copy is attempted. -f Forced mode: doesn't check if the keys are present on the remote server. This means that it does not need the private key. Of course, this can result in more than one copy of the key being installed on the remote system. -n do a dry-run. Instead of installing keys on the remote system simply prints the key(s) that would have been installed. -h, -? Print Usage summary -p port, -o ssh_option These two options are simply passed through untouched, along with their argument, to allow one to set the port or other ssh(1) options, respectively. Rather than specifying these as command line options, it is often better to use (per-host) settings in ssh(1)'s configuration file: ssh_config(5). Default behaviour without -i, is to check if 'ssh-add -L' provides any output, and if so those keys are used. Note that this results in the comment on the key being the filename that was given to ssh-add(1) when the key was loaded into your ssh-agent(1) rather than the comment contained in that file, which is a bit of a shame. Otherwise, if ssh-add(1) provides no keys contents of the default_ID_file will be used. The default_ID_file is the most recent file that matches: ~/.ssh/id*.pub, (excluding those that match ~/.ssh/*-cert.pub) so if you create a key that is not the one you want ssh-copy-id to use, just use touch(1) on your preferred key's .pub file to reinstate it as the most recent. EXAMPLES
If you have already installed keys from one system on a lot of remote hosts, and you then create a new key, on a new client machine, say, it can be difficult to keep track of which systems on which you've installed the new key. One way of dealing with this is to load both the new key and old key(s) into your ssh-agent(1). Load the new key first, without the -c option, then load one or more old keys into the agent, possibly by ssh-ing to the client machine that has that old key, using the -A option to allow agent forwarding: user@newclient$ ssh-add user@newclient$ ssh -A old.client user@oldl$ ssh-add -c ... prompt for pass-phrase ... user@old$ logoff user@newclient$ ssh someserver now, if the new key is installed on the server, you'll be allowed in unprompted, whereas if you only have the old key(s) enabled, you'll be asked for confirmation, which is your cue to log back out and run user@newclient$ ssh-copy-id -i someserver The reason you might want to specify the -i option in this case is to ensure that the comment on the installed key is the one from the .pub file, rather than just the filename that was loaded into you agent. It also ensures that only the id you intended is installed, rather than all the keys that you have in your ssh-agent(1). Of course, you can specify another id, or use the contents of the ssh-agent(1) as you pre- fer. Having mentioned ssh-add(1)'s -c option, you might consider using this whenever using agent forwarding to avoid your key being hijacked, but it is much better to instead use ssh(1)'s ProxyCommand and -W option, to bounce through remote servers while always doing direct end-to-end authentication. This way the middle hop(s) don't get access to your ssh-agent(1). A web search for 'ssh proxycommand nc' should prove enlightening (N.B. the modern approach is to use the -W option, rather than nc(1)). SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) BSD
June 17, 2010 BSD