Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers egrep query....request for help Post 302425644 by pseudocoder on Friday 28th of May 2010 06:54:36 PM
Old 05-28-2010
Maybe this excerpt from the egrep man page will help you to better understand how egrep works, note the sentence that I have underlined:

DESCRIPTION
grep searches the named input FILEs (or standard input if no files are
named, or the file name - is given) for lines containing a match to the
given PATTERN. By default, grep prints the matching lines.

---------- Post updated at 00:54 ---------- Previous update was at 00:50 ----------

Code:
$ egrep '(Jolly)|(Brewers)' public
Jolly Brewers
$ egrep -o '(Jolly)|(Brewers)' public
Jolly
Brewers
$

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

HTTP Query Request & Parsing returned XML output

I have a PERL script from which I need to make a HTTP request to Web Servlet (Essentially a URL with variables and values like &Variable1=AAAAAA&Variable2=BBBBBBBBB&Variable3=CCCCCCC). The Web servlet returns an XML result which needs to be parsed for the contents of the result within the program.... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep help

How can i make something like if (echo "$arg2" | egrep -s '^+\.+km/h+$|^+km/h+$'); then not to output the value of $arg2 on the screen, evertime i get match it outputs the value of the variable on the screen which i don't need to do. I know for grep its -q option but it doesn't work for egrep.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vozx
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

add the output of a query to a variable to be used in another query

I would like to use the result of a query in another query. How do I redirect/add the output to another variable? $result = odbc_exec($connect, $query); while ($row = odbc_fetch_array($result)) { echo $row,"\n"; } odbc_close($connect); ?> This will output hostnames: host1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hazno
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query regarding egrep command

Hi All, I am having a query regarding the usage of egrep command. i am having two unix environmanets in environment when i am using "egrep -f" it is working fine and other unix environment i am getting a syntax error. Please let me know if i need to set any environmane variables. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request: How to Parse dynamic SQL query to pad extra columns to match the fixed number of columns

Hello All, I have a requirement in which i will be given a sql query as input in a file with dynamic number of columns. For example some times i will get 5 columns, some times 8 columns etc up to 20 columns. So my requirement is to generate a output query which will have 20 columns all the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_trl
7 Replies
IBASE_EXECUTE(3)							 1							  IBASE_EXECUTE(3)

ibase_execute - Execute a previously prepared query

SYNOPSIS
resource ibase_execute (resource $query, [mixed $bind_arg], [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Execute a query prepared by ibase_prepare(3). This is a lot more effective than using ibase_query(3) if you are repeating a same kind of query several times with only some parameters changing. PARAMETERS
o $query - An InterBase query prepared by ibase_prepare(3). o $bind_arg - o $... - RETURN VALUES
If the query raises an error, returns FALSE. If it is successful and there is a (possibly empty) result set (such as with a SELECT query), returns a result identifier. If the query was successful and there were no results, returns TRUE. Note This function returns the number of rows affected by the query (if > 0 and applicable to the statement type). A query that suc- ceeded, but did not affect any rows (e.g. an UPDATE of a non-existent record) will return TRUE. EXAMPLES
Example #1 ibase_execute(3) example <?php $dbh = ibase_connect($host, $username, $password); $updates = array( 1 => 'Eric', 5 => 'Filip', 7 => 'Larry' ); $query = ibase_prepare($dbh, "UPDATE FOO SET BAR = ? WHERE BAZ = ?"); foreach ($updates as $baz => $bar) { ibase_execute($query, $bar, $baz); } ?> SEE ALSO
ibase_query(3). PHP Documentation Group IBASE_EXECUTE(3)