Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed question to substitute data in \2 Post 302425596 by tukuyomi on Friday 28th of May 2010 02:26:55 PM
Old 05-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
Code+explanation
Thank you for adding the explanation, It was quite interesting Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitute situation

I am having a problem executing a sed substitute in a file. I have tried alot of different things I found in previous posts, however non seem to work. I want to substitute this in $FILE: VALUE=33.4 In the script I have tried the following: prev=$(awk -F"=" '{ print $2 }' $FILE ) new=$(echo... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbreed1
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to substitute between two patterns.

Hi All, I'm currently using SED to make various changes to some .xml files I'm working on, but I'm stuck on this particular problem. I want to remove '<placeholder>element-name</placeholder>' from the following: <heading>Element <placeholder>element-name</placeholder> not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_altius
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to substitute first occurrence

I am trying to get rid of some ending tags but I run into some problems. Ex. How are you?</EndTag><Begin>It is fine.</Begin><New> Just about I am trying to get rid of the ending tags, starts with </ and ending with >. (which is </EndTag> and </Begin>) I tried the following sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quixoticking11
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to substitute between quotes.

I'm using sed to perform a simply search and replace. The typical data is: <fig><image href="Graphics/BAV.gif" align="left" placement="break" I need to replace the value in the first set of quotes, keeping the remainder of the line the same. Thus: <fig><image href="NEW_VALUE" align="left"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_altius
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed or gsub to substitute characters!

Is there a way to substitute the URL-encoding references of ( & and ` ) with their actual appearance? for example.... %26 is & say I want to convert every %26 in my file to &..... awk '{gsub(/%26/,"&");print}' Is there a way to do this? I also want to be able to convert ` too! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to substitute data in a column delimited text file

using awk to substitute data in a column delimited text file hello i would like to use awk to do the following calculation from the following snippet. input file C;2390 ;CV BOUILLOTTE 2L 2FACES NERVUREES ;1.00 ;3552612239004;13417 ;25 ;50 ; 12;50000 ; ; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iindie
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute partial data only within a xml tag

Hello, I have huge xml files and I need to replace only part of the data within a particular xml tag. This doesnt seem to be as simple as it sounds. I have searched everywhere and couldnt find any solution. Ex: In the below case I would like "def" to be replaced by "xyz" only when found in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshanjain2
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitute command -- need help

I am trying to do what I thought should be a simple substitution, but I can't get it to work. File: Desire output: I thought I'd start with a sed command to remove the part of the header line preceding the string "comp", then go on to remove the suffix of the target string (e.g. ":3-509(-)"),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I modify my script to include or substitute missing data?

Let me start off by saying I am a self taught sometimes scripter so what you will see below won't be pretty. I have created a script to parse through a file with a large amount of data and simply pull out what I need. In doing this I create several files and then paste them together in order to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fsanchez
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Substitute a character with sed

hi all, i'd like to modify a file with sed , i want to substuite a char "-" with "/" how can i do this? Thanks for all regards Francesco (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco_IT
16 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)