Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Track user log!
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Track user log! Post 302425546 by verdepollo on Friday 28th of May 2010 11:22:05 AM
Old 05-28-2010
You can use who to get the number of users logged in your system...

who -m will show you "only hostname and user associated with stdin"

Code:
man who

Try this:

Quote:
echo "Time: $(date +%T) Users: $(who | wc -l)" >> $(date +%Y%m%d).log
You'll need to adjust the output redirection and maybe the cron schedule.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

keep track of the last 10 commands the user typed

Can I do it like this? if (strcmp(argv, "history")==0) { argv = "10"; execvp(argc,argv); } actually, it doesn't work, How can I modify it? Thanks (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Track user activity --pls help

hi I want to know how to save all the command used by all the used under a particular root with the time stamp in a file. Eg: User Name: UX10 Time: 10:56 Command: LS User Name: UX23 Time: 10:59 Command: MORE abc.txt -Anand (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandtharani
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to track FTP user last login? Last and Finger don't track them.

Like the topic says, does anyone know if it is possible to check to see when an FTP only user has logged in? Because the shell is /bin/false and they are only using FTP to access the system doing a "finger" or "last" it says they have never logged in. Is there a way to see when ftp users log in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

keep track of every user

dear all , I m new to shell programming and I need your help. Actually i want to keep track of all the commands executed in a bash prompt of users , very much in same manner as it is displayed when we run "history" command. now the users are smart enough as they delete their history by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xander
6 Replies

5. AIX

Track user logoff in AIX 5.3

Hi Does anybody know if there is a way in AIX 5.3 to track how a user was logged off? For instance where the user typed exit, hit crtl D, shell process was killed, etc. I know of the last log entries but this just shows a users login time and duration. I also tried syslog but I only get login... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimyo
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Track user commands

Hi, I have a unix server and I am concerned about the security on that server. I would like to be able to write a script that records all the commands that were typed at the command prompt before the user calls the 'history -c' command and deletes all the history. I was thinking about firing or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishkamima
7 Replies

7. AIX

Track deleted OS user accounts

Recently we've had a couple user accounts mysteriously disappear. Is there any way to track these accounts and determine who/how they were deleted? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sk0glund
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Track user

Hi, i suddenly realized that a directory is deleted unfortunately there are many user have pervilages on this directory is there a way to track the user who delete this directory or atleast from now can i enable something so that i can track from now I think there is way from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackgeek
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to track user activity?

Hi All Please can you help me with the following issue: A certain vendor installed an application in which for a user to log in; the user must use a user created/predefined by the application. And because this application has more than one user its difficult to track who did what and when,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Track activity of a user

Hi All We have a job which writes files to a server at a particular time. The files will be created by a particular user ID Today, during the execution of the job, it created a file to the server and the file sat on the server for sometime, but was deleted immediately at the end of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
4 Replies
LAST, LASTB(1)                                                     User Commands                                                    LAST, LASTB(1)

NAME
last, lastb - show a listing of last logged in users SYNOPSIS
last [options] [username...] [tty...] lastb [options] [username...] [tty...] DESCRIPTION
last searches back through the /var/log/wtmp file (or the file designated by the -f option) and displays a list of all users logged in (and out) since that file was created. One or more usernames and/or ttys can be given, in which case last will show only the entries matching those arguments. Names of ttys can be abbreviated, thus last 0 is the same as last tty0. When catching a SIGINT signal (generated by the interrupt key, usually control-C) or a SIGQUIT signal, last will show how far it has searched through the file; in the case of the SIGINT signal last will then terminate. The pseudo user reboot logs in each time the system is rebooted. Thus last reboot will show a log of all the reboots since the log file was created. lastb is the same as last, except that by default it shows a log of the /var/log/btmp file, which contains all the bad login attempts. OPTIONS
-a, --hostlast Display the hostname in the last column. Useful in combination with the --dns option. -d, --dns For non-local logins, Linux stores not only the host name of the remote host, but its IP number as well. This option translates the IP number back into a hostname. -f, --file file Tell last to use a specific file instead of /var/log/wtmp. The --file option can be given multiple times, and all of the specified files will be processed. -F, --fulltimes Print full login and logout times and dates. -i, --ip Like --dns , but displays the host's IP number instead of the name. -number -n, --limit number Tell last how many lines to show. -p, --present time Display the users who were present at the specified time. This is like using the options --since and --until together with the same time. -R, --nohostname Suppresses the display of the hostname field. -s, --since time Display the state of logins since the specified time. This is useful, e.g., to easily determine who was logged in at a particular time. The option is often combined with --until. -t, --until time Display the state of logins until the specified time. --time-format format Define the output timestamp format to be one of notime, short, full, or iso. The notime variant will not print any timestamps at all, short is the default, and full is the same as the --fulltimes option. The iso variant will display the timestamp in ISO-8601 format. The ISO format contains timezone information, making it preferable when printouts are investigated outside of the system. -w, --fullnames Display full user names and domain names in the output. -x, --system Display the system shutdown entries and run level changes. TIME FORMATS
The options that take the time argument understand the following formats: YYYYMMDDhhmmss YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm (seconds will be set to 00) YYYY-MM-DD (time will be set to 00:00:00) hh:mm:ss (date will be set to today) hh:mm (date will be set to today, seconds to 00) now yesterday (time is set to 00:00:00) today (time is set to 00:00:00) tomorrow (time is set to 00:00:00) +5min -5days NOTES
The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs information in these files if they are present. This is a local configu- ration issue. If you want the files to be used, they can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch /var/log/wtmp). FILES
/var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> AVAILABILITY
The last command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. SEE ALSO
login(1), wtmp(5), init(8), shutdown(8) util-linux October 2013 LAST, LASTB(1)