Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retries in shell programming. Post 302425423 by devtakh on Friday 28th of May 2010 12:16:12 AM
Old 05-28-2010
your script looks good to me. you can as well use a while loop and minimize the code as below

Code:
while [ $Retries -lt 4 ]
do
              $Scr_Dir/pingServer | grep UP
              if [ $? -eq 0 ]
              then
                      echo "/n Server has been started successfully..../n" >> $Log_File
                      exit 0
              else
                             Retries=$( expr $Retries + 1 )
                             sleep 240
               fi
done

echo "Timed out in starting the Server.." >> $Log_File

cheers,
Devaraj Takhellambam
This User Gave Thanks to devtakh For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Programming Help

Hi, I am new to shell programming, and hve been given a request to write a shell script. Is there any good places to go to see examples of how to write shell programming scripts? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mec585858
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Programming?

For what purposes should we use shell /what are the tasks we can achieve using shell which is best book to learn shell programming and will nayone tell me diff between shell programming aand shell scripting? Thank u in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shrikrishna
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Programming

Provides a menu structure that allows a user to select several options - input a name and address, lookup a name and address, delete a name and address, and print a formatted report from a text database (note: this requirement assumes that you will use the program to create a database, though in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DonOmar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail retries sending to non-existant users

How can i get sendmail to immediately bounce mail when the server on the other side gives a "550 unknown user" SMTP error? Currently, the outbound mail stays in the queue and is retried until our server gives up, some days later. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 2.6:max login retries

HI, I'm on Solaris 2.6. Where do I set the max login retries? Pls help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad_chung
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell programming

Hi iam new to shell programming. I would like to ask one dought abt the file handling in unix. Iam having a file1 as follows: ASDERFCX1234567890123456 POIUYTRE0098765432123456 BVCXCVBN0955644411111111 File2 ASDERFCX1234567890123456 kill@abc.com ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivas
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help for shell programming

My purpose was to print out all of name of students in a list.First of all,I created a file name "List" in /home/tuan/Desktop/Shell_programming as below Tom Henry Ben Linda Marry And my script "script" is #!/bin/sh path=/home/tuan/Desktop/Shell_programming/List for student in $path... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thungmail
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell programming

Hi i need a favour i have a file which has some trillions of records. The file is like this 11111000000000192831840914000000000000000000000000000 45789899090000000000000000011111111111111111111111111 I want to cut specific postions in each line like cut1-3 and assisgn it to a variable and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: richa2.m
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell programming

Hi every one,i am new to unix.Can any one tell me about shell programming.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: martina100011
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)