Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using AWK BEGIN to extract file header info into variables Post 302425415 by pseudocoder on Thursday 27th of May 2010 10:44:20 PM
Old 05-27-2010
I'm pretty sure it can be done with awk, though I don't know how Smilie
This is my indeed "amateur" approach with standard tools, maybe it can help you with translating it to awk?
Code:
$ string=$(grep -E '^IP|^User|^Time' infile | sed 's/Username/User/;s/: /=/' | tr "\n" " ")
$ sed -n '/<\/HEADER>/,/<END>/p' infile | sed 's/<\/HEADER>//;s/<END>//;/^$/d;s/^/Line=/' | \
> while read line; do echo "$string$line"; done
IP=1.2.3.4 User=Joe Time=12:00:00 Line=This
IP=1.2.3.4 User=Joe Time=12:00:00 Line=is
IP=1.2.3.4 User=Joe Time=12:00:00 Line=a
IP=1.2.3.4 User=Joe Time=12:00:00 Line=test
IP=1.2.3.4 User=Joe Time=12:00:00 Line=and this part can be any size
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract info from a file using awk

Dear all I have a file call interfaces.txt Filename: interfaces.txt How can I extract the information at below? ABC_DB_001 hostname1 20901 ABC_DB_002 hostname2 20903 ABC_DB_003 hostname3 20905 Currently I am using a very stupid method grep ^ABC interfaces.txt > name.txt grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: on9west
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract date from file header and prefix it to all lines

Hello All, I have a file in the following format. I want to extract the date(020090930, 020090929) in the string "STPAGE020090930" and "STPAGE020090929" and prefix it to all lines below them. The output must be put into a new file. STPAGE020090930 xyzz aalc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: john2022
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract info from log file and compute using time date stamp

Looking for a shell script or a simple perl script . I am new to scripting and not very good at it . I have 2 directories . One of them holds a text file with list of files in it and the second one is a daily log which shows the file completion time. I need to co-relate both and make a report. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: breez_drew
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract the info in the tag from a xml file

Hi All, Do anyone of you have any idea how to extract each<info> tag to each different file. I have 1000 raw files, which come in every 15 mins.( I am using bash) I have tried my script as below, but it took hours to finish, which is inefficiency. perl -n -e '/^<info>/ and open FH,">file".$n++;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract consecutive lines that begin with a character

Hello, From a sample file below, I would like to extract only consecutive lines that begin with a '$'. How can I do this? $ABC.1 XYGHGHGHHG $ABC.2 RSTUVBWBB $ABC.3 87908787798798 $QRS.5 $RST.6 679707097 $LmN.4 hgkhgh $QRS.5 $ABC.9 Thanks in advance for your help! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract the day of the year and use that info to copy a file remotely

Hello, Thank you in advance for helping a newbie who is having great trouble with this simple task. I'm allowed to copy one file remotely each night due to bandwidth restrictions. A new file gets generated once a day, and I need to copy the previous day's file. Here is what I'd like to do:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmozdzen
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to extract info from text file between the tags

Hi, I have a text file with member information... B]Name is in H1 tag Title is in H2 tag Email is in <a id="ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder3_repeaterItems_ctl01_lbnEmailMe" href="javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder3$repeaterItems$ctl01$lbnEmailMe','')">someone@company.com</a> Location:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: igurv
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract info and do algebra on it by sed or awk

Hello everyone, I need to extract some information from a csv file and further need to do some algebraic calculations on those information and then to throw the result in a new file. Here is a sample from my data.csv file; Col1,Col2,Col3,Col4,Col5,Col6,Col7... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk to extract additional info

Hi I use multipath linux command to get LUNs info and find out if any failed. # multipath -ll >/tmp/mpfail # cat /tmp/mpfail multipath.conf line 109, invalid keyword: user_friendly_names multipath.conf line 153, invalid keyword: user_friendly_names multipath.conf line 193, invalid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk script to extract a column, replace one of the header and replace year(from ddmmyy to yyyy)

I have a csv which has lot of columns . I was looking for an awk script which would extract a column twice. for the first occurance the header and data needs to be intact but for the second occurance i want to replace the header name since it a duplicate and extract year value which is in ddmmyy... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kunalcurious
10 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)