Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stripping characters from a variable Post 302425348 by nrogers64 on Thursday 27th of May 2010 04:17:30 PM
Old 05-27-2010
Thanks, alister! That's exactly what I needed! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping leftmost characters from string

Hi there, if i have some strings ie test_324423 test_242332 test_767667 but I only want the number part (the bolded bit) how do I strip the leftmost 5 characters from the output so that i will have just 324423 242332 767667 any help would be greatly appreciated Gary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping the spaces in a string variable

Hi , i have to strip the spaces in the string which has the following value ABC DEF i want this to appear like this ABC DEF is there any spilt method? please help.... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping certain characters in at the middle of a string

I am trying to strip out certain characters from a string on both (left & right) sides. For example, line=see@hear|touch, i only want to echo the "hear" part. Well i have tried this approach: line=see@hear|touch templine=${line#*@} #removed "see@" echo ${templine%%\|*} #removed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcoblefias
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping a variable down

I have a variable that has an absolute path for a file on my computer. This dynamically changes. Is there a way I can assign two new variables from that one? variable: /Users/keith/Desktop/test/file.mov 1) filename - no path or extention ....so just....file 2) path no filename or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegate
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a file and reformatting according to another one

Dear experts, my problem is pretty tricky. I want to change a file (see attached input.txt), according to another file (help.txt). The output that is desired is in output.txt. The example is attached. Note that -dashes should not be treated specially, they are considered normal characters,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting first two characters of variable

From a shell script, I'm trying to get the first two characters of an environment variable. If I type at the command promot: XX=`echo $MYVAR | cut -c1-2` echo $XX It works just fine However, if I execute the exact same thing from a shell script, I get: cut: you must specify a list of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boomn4x4
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking variable with specific string and stripping number from it.

I am parsing a file and I get differnt results everytime. Sometimes I get 12s sometimes I get 54m and sometime 3h.. v1=12s or v1=54m or v1=3h 12s - 12 seconds 54m - 54 minutes 3h - 3 hour I have to write a script in such a way that it whenever v1 is in minutes, I should strip "m"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayeshpatel
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get first four characters from the variable name

Hi all I have a variable name as below runbatch=FCSTworLOADfx_CYR Now i need to search for FCST in this variable and run a program I am doing like this but it is failing if ; then ****RUN PROGRAM** Please help DJ Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping unwanted characters in field

I wrote myself a small little shell script to clean up a file I have issues with. In particular, I am stripping down a fully qualified host/domain name to just the hostname itself. The script works, but from a performance standpoint, it's not very fast and I will be working with large data sets. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
4 Replies
XkbResizeKeyActions(3)						   XKB FUNCTIONS					    XkbResizeKeyActions(3)

NAME
XkbResizeKeyActions - Change the number of actions bound to a key SYNOPSIS
XkbAction * XkbResizeKeyActions (XkbDescRec *xkb, int key, int needed); ARGUMENTS
- xkb keyboard description to change - key keycode of key to change - needed new number of actions required DESCRIPTION
The xkb parameter points to the keyboard description containing the key whose number of actions is to be changed. The key parameter is the keycode of the key to change, and needed specifies the new number of actions required for the key. XkbResizeKeyActions reserves the space needed for the actions and returns a pointer to the beginning of the new array that holds the actions. It can change the acts, num_acts, and size_acts fields of xkb->server if it is necessary to reallocate the acts array. If needed is greater than the current number of keysyms for the key, XkbResizeKeyActions initializes all new actions in the array to NoAc- tion. Because the number of actions needed by a key is normally computed as width * number of groups, and XkbResizeKeyActions does not modify either the width or number of groups for the key, a discrepancy exists on return from XkbResizeKeyActions between the space allocated for the actions and the number required. The unused entries in the list of actions returned by XkbResizeKeyActions are not preserved across future calls to any of the map editing functions, so you must update the key actions (which updates the width and number of groups for the key) before calling another allocator function. A call to XkbChangeTypesOfKey updates these. If any allocation errors occur while resizing the number of actions bound to the key, XkbResizeKeyActions returns NULL. SEE ALSO
XkbChangeTypesOfKey(3), XkbResizeKeySyms(3) NOTES
A change to the number of actions bound to a key should be accompanied by a change in the number of symbols bound to a key. Refer to XkbRe- sizeKeySyms for more information on changing the number of symbols bound to a key. X Version 11 libX11 1.5.0 XkbResizeKeyActions(3)