Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX removing 8th and 9th character of a FILENAME Post 302425266 by chipahoys on Thursday 27th of May 2010 01:33:08 PM
Old 05-27-2010
thanks for the quick response pseudocoder, however,

the listed files are really filenames located say, on /home/apps/pdf2010 directory.. i need to change the filename (with the format i mentioned above) that are in that directory by removing the 8th and 9th char

sorry for the confusion

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How would I replace the 9th character of every line in a file?

Is there a simple way to replace the 9th character of every line in a text file? Right now it is a space and instead I want to stick in a 0, every line is the same. Is there a quick way to do this in Unix? (Solaris) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces within Filename

Hello, I have a Folder (myfile) which contain the following files: P$12789865KR +N+01+OM+16102009165416.nu P$M1-508962GD +N+01+ALP+14102009094417.nu Is there a sed command(s) that will loop through this folder and remove the spaces that exists in the filename? Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fishn
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Removing extra characters in Filename

Hi, It's my first time here... anyways, I have a simple problem with these filenames. This is probably too easy for you guys: ABC_20101.2A.2010_01 ABD_20103.2E.2010_04 ABE_20107.2R.2010_08 Expected Output: ABC_20101 ABD_20103 ABE_20107 The only pattern available are the ff: 1) All... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joule
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing the trailing date from a filename

Hi I have 3 files (say) in a folder as in the example below abc_01012011.csv def_01012011.csv xyz_01012011.csv I need to move these files to a different folder as follows abc.csv def.csv xyz.csv I am trying to put together a script with a for loop which reads the source filenames... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobsn
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the filename extension

Is there an easy way to strip off a filename's extension? For example, here's a filename: blahblahblah.thisisok.thisisnotok I want to get rid of .thisisnotok from the filename, so that what's left is blahblahblah.thisisok Thanks. I have a directory full of filenames that need to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace 8th and 9th characters in file permanently

Good evening, I have a file and wish to replace the 8th and 9th characters on the first line only no matter what they are with 44 and the file permanantly changed. e.g. file example.txt before change: 123456789123456 hi how are you blah blah file example.txt after change: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarciasMuffin
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a range of characters in a filename

hi, I have quite a bunch of files with annoyingly long filenames. I wanted to cut the range of characters from 9-18 and just retain the first 8 characters and the .extension. any suggestion how to do it. thanks much. original filename: 20000105_20000105_20100503.nc.asc output filename:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH - Removing the very last character(s) extension of a filename

Hello. I would like to know how to do this in bash script : A_WORD="ABCD_EFGH.0.100.40.123" NEW_WORD=remove_last_ext("A_WORD") NEW_WORD --> ABCD_EFGH.0.100.40 A_WORD="ABCD_EFGH.0.50.3" NEW_WORD=remove_last_ext("A_WORD") NEW_WORD --> ABCD_EFGH.0.50 A_WORD="ABCD_EFGH.3.100.50." ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies
PDFCONCAT(1)						      General Commands Manual						      PDFCONCAT(1)

NAME
pdfconcat - program to concatenate several PDF files. SYNOPSIS
pdfconcat -o outfile.pdf input1.pdf [inputN.pdf ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the pdfconcat command. pdfconcat is a small and fast command-line utility written in ANSI C that can concatenate (merge) several PDF files into a long PDF docu- ment. External libraries are not required, only ANSI C functions are used. Several features of the output file are taken from the first input file only. For example, outlines (also known as hierarchical bookmarks) in subsequent input files are ignored. pdfconcat compresses its input a little bit by removing whitespace and unused file parts. This program has been tested on various huge PDFs downloaded from the Adobe web site, plus an 1200-pages long mathematics manual typeset by LaTeX, emitted by pdflatex, dvipdfm and `gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite', totalling 5981 pages in a single PDF file. OPTIONS
-o output.pdf Place output in file output.pdf SEE ALSO
imgmerge(1), xpaint(1). AUTHOR
pdfconcat was written by Peter Szabo <pts@fazekas.hu>. This manual page was written by Josue Abarca <jmaslibre@debian.org.gt>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation please see /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2 for the full text of the licence. January 22, 2010 PDFCONCAT(1)