Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rights to FTP user
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rights to FTP user Post 302425223 by fpmurphy on Thursday 27th of May 2010 11:01:30 AM
Old 05-27-2010
It depends on the version of ftp that you are using. Some versions of ftp such as vsftp support good fine-grained control of what users can or cannot do. Others do not and you have to depend on the file permissions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

User rights assingments

Forgive the new ness of this question. However, I have a user's home directory that i would like to give another user rw too. How would I accomplish this. Nevermin I used an acl to accomplish. A little reading goes a long way!!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niasdad
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Giving rights to User

Hi all, what does the following lines means? chown -R root:mysql /usr/local/mysql chown -R mysql:mysql /usr/local/mysql/data Something giving rights to user named mysql? or related with root rights? Please explain in detail. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vbs
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

User rights

I wan to create a user e.g. Tom. whenever a file is created by user Tom or FTP is done using user as Tom, the rights on the file should be 777 (by default). how can I achieve this. Please help. Its very urgent. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharmavr
1 Replies

4. Solaris

FTP rights

How can I prevent some users from using FTP? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Burhan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Access Rights

Hi Folks, My problem is an easy one for the experts here. All my applications run using a user id that creates files with only the following default rights: -rw-r----- I want to modify this user's account such that it creates files that assign read access to the everyone group by default:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: umairrahman
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP and access rights

Hello all, I am currently writing an application that besides other thing ,ftps files from remote machines (running linux and solaris). My problem is this: i am connecting to remote machines as a user other than root and i have found that there is a possibility that i will encounter folders with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noam128
3 Replies

7. Solaris

New user question regarding admin rights

I'm trying to install OpenOffice on Solaris 11 but when I click on the setup icon I get an error message telling me that I need to have admin rights. I've tried logging on as SU or ROOT but cannot. I don't see how to grant myself admin rights. How is it done ? I know there are many many... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stansaraczewski
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Add and Rights

Dears, I want to add a user and give him rights only for a spesific folder and take the files via ftp. The user shouldn't see the other files above or belov his folder. lets say I have "user". my directories: /a /b/d /c when I connect to the system I want this "user" to connect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubatuwang
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

user rights

good evening .. I have a plea, who I can help me with a management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux I need for college .. .. and not told us no clue .. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex90
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with user rights (Permission denied)

I have a script that do read data for Munin Graph. My problem is that it have some reading problems, and I do not know how to fix it. script traf.sh (its not the complete script)#!/bin/sh PORT="80" NETDEVICE="eth0" IPTRAFlogdir="/var/log/iptraf" ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
8 Replies
PAM_FTP(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual							PAM_FTP(8)

NAME
pam_ftp - PAM module for anonymous access module SYNOPSIS
pam_ftp.so [debug] [ignore] [users=XXX,YYY,...] DESCRIPTION
pam_ftp is a PAM module which provides a pluggable anonymous ftp mode of access. This module intercepts the user's name and password. If the name is ftp or anonymous, the user's password is broken up at the @ delimiter into a PAM_RUSER and a PAM_RHOST part; these pam-items being set accordingly. The username (PAM_USER) is set to ftp. In this case the module succeeds. Alternatively, the module sets the PAM_AUTHTOK item with the entered password and fails. This module is not safe and easily spoofable. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. ignore Pay no attention to the email address of the user (if supplied). ftp=XXX,YYY,... Instead of ftp or anonymous, provide anonymous login to the comma separated list of users: XXX,YYY,.... Should the applicant enter one of these usernames the returned username is set to the first in the list: XXX. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The authentication was successful. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/ftpd to handle ftp style anonymous login: # # ftpd; add ftp-specifics. These lines enable anonymous ftp over # standard UN*X access (the listfile entry blocks access to # users listed in /etc/ftpusers) # auth sufficient pam_ftp.so auth required pam_unix.so use_first_pass auth required pam_listfile.so onerr=succeed item=user sense=deny file=/etc/ftpusers SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_ftp was written by Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_FTP(8)