Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Difference between cp and mv linux command Post 302425086 by bigearsbilly on Thursday 27th of May 2010 07:16:23 AM
Old 05-27-2010
well, I suggest you read the source code for cp and mv

well, for a start, cp copies the file, so opens, reads and copies.
mv just moves or renames it. So the actual inode is not accessed,
only the Directory entries.

---------- Post updated at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by achenle
The mv command first deletes the target file if it exists. The cp command does not.
no that is wrong.

observe, if I mv (rename) a file the inode
does not change:

Code:

cat:$ls -i 1
82309 1
cat:$mv 1 2
cat:$ls -i 2
82309 2

if I do a cp the inodes actually change.

Code:
cat:$ls > 1
cat:$cp 1 2
cat:$ls -i 1 2
82964 1  82967 2

the inode is the physical disk block(s) where the file lives.
you have only updated the directory with a mv

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Difference in LINUX and SOLARIS

/* * one-way-pipe.c - example of using a pipe to communicate data between a * process and its child process. The parent reads input * from the user, and sends it to the child via a pipe. * The child prints the received data to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SQ4LIFE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

OK, I've used various versions of UNIX(Solaris, HPUX, etc..) over the years. Now the organization I work for is leaning towards more Linux based systems(Redhat, Suse, etc..) I do see differences in in comands and how to accomplish basic adminstration, but nothing mind blowing. So, what is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su command difference between unix and linux

Hello all the su with -l option is running normal with linux but when i try to run it on unix AIX 5.2.7 it's not working with -l option any help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux

Hi I am new to linux I have dout waht is the difference between UNIX and LINUX Is there any soft for insatallation for UNIX OS Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaya
0 Replies

5. Linux

Difference between Windows and Linux

Hi, What is the difference between Linux and Windows? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
1 Replies

6. Linux

What is the difference between Linux and Windows?

Hi, What is the difference between Linux and Windows? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

hi experts please tell me the real difference between unix and linux at kernel structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linurag
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Difference Redhat Linux/RH Enterprise Linux

what is the difference between Redhat Linux and Redhat Enterprise Linux. whereas Redhat linux have Server installation options too. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX to Linux command difference

Moving from AIX 6.1 to RHEL 6.6, I have noticed a few command differences. One that has been causing issue is a simple echo command when I have to use it this way -> "echo -e" On the AIX it outputs to "-e" but since RHEL has "-e" as an option for echo and hence it outputs to blank here. All... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
3 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-cat(1)