Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Difference between cp and mv linux command Post 302425071 by achenle on Thursday 27th of May 2010 06:14:28 AM
Old 05-27-2010
The mv command first deletes the target file if it exists. The cp command does not.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Difference in LINUX and SOLARIS

/* * one-way-pipe.c - example of using a pipe to communicate data between a * process and its child process. The parent reads input * from the user, and sends it to the child via a pipe. * The child prints the received data to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SQ4LIFE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

OK, I've used various versions of UNIX(Solaris, HPUX, etc..) over the years. Now the organization I work for is leaning towards more Linux based systems(Redhat, Suse, etc..) I do see differences in in comands and how to accomplish basic adminstration, but nothing mind blowing. So, what is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su command difference between unix and linux

Hello all the su with -l option is running normal with linux but when i try to run it on unix AIX 5.2.7 it's not working with -l option any help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux

Hi I am new to linux I have dout waht is the difference between UNIX and LINUX Is there any soft for insatallation for UNIX OS Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaya
0 Replies

5. Linux

Difference between Windows and Linux

Hi, What is the difference between Linux and Windows? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
1 Replies

6. Linux

What is the difference between Linux and Windows?

Hi, What is the difference between Linux and Windows? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

hi experts please tell me the real difference between unix and linux at kernel structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linurag
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Difference Redhat Linux/RH Enterprise Linux

what is the difference between Redhat Linux and Redhat Enterprise Linux. whereas Redhat linux have Server installation options too. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX to Linux command difference

Moving from AIX 6.1 to RHEL 6.6, I have noticed a few command differences. One that has been causing issue is a simple echo command when I have to use it this way -> "echo -e" On the AIX it outputs to "-e" but since RHEL has "-e" as an option for echo and hence it outputs to blank here. All... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
3 Replies
DROP 
DATABASE(7) SQL Commands DROP DATABASE(7) NAME
DROP DATABASE - remove a database SYNOPSIS
DROP DATABASE [ IF EXISTS ] name DESCRIPTION
DROP DATABASE drops a database. It removes the catalog entries for the database and deletes the directory containing the data. It can only be executed by the database owner. Also, it cannot be executed while you or anyone else are connected to the target database. (Connect to postgres or any other database to issue this command.) DROP DATABASE cannot be undone. Use it with care! PARAMETERS
IF EXISTS Do not throw an error if the database does not exist. A notice is issued in this case. name The name of the database to remove. NOTES
DROP DATABASE cannot be executed inside a transaction block. This command cannot be executed while connected to the target database. Thus, it might be more convenient to use the program dropdb [dropdb(1)] instead, which is a wrapper around this command. COMPATIBILITY
There is no DROP DATABASE statement in the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
CREATE DATABASE [create_database(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 DROP DATABASE(7)