Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting nawk - Unable to use 2 variables for NR range Post 302424933 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 26th of May 2010 04:16:37 PM
Old 05-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragz_82
Did you mean to try as following?
Code:
cat file.input.XYZ.dat | awk 'NR>x && NR<y' x=$LOWER_LIMIT y=$UPPER_LIMIT result.txt

This only writes the first line in the input file to the output file with the following values.
Code:
LOWER_LIMIT=5
UPPER_LIMIT=10

Any other suggestions?
why are you 'cat'-ing something into awk AND also using 'result.txt' as awk's input?
Code:
nawk 'NR>x && NR<y' x=$LOWER_LIMIT y=$UPPER_LIMIT  file.input.XYZ.dat

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk and variables

Hi guy's Im trying to pass variables into nawk and then match them on a value within a record but it don't seem to be working. If i put in the dates i want to see then it works fine.. #!/usr/bin/ksh -x YEST=$(/usr/local/bin/perl -e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: plimpix
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning nawk output to variables

I do a lot of command line scripting to capture data from files or other command output. I've checked in a number of Unix and scripting books but for the life of me I can't find out how to asign field data from nawk output into variables that I can manipulate later. For example, reading a two... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveje0711
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk - Passing variables

Hi, I am passing the varibale using nawk -v to search the pattern from the file. But this variable is not accepting. I couldn't get the crrect output. Help me regarding..... nawk -v PGMNAME="$prog" ' { $0 ~ /PGMNAME/ { .................. ................. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't seem to pass variables properly into a nawk statement

Ok, So up front I'm going to say that I'm a very elementary scripter, and I tend to use tools I don't fully understand, but I shotgun at something until I can get it to work...that said, I can't for the life of me understand why I can't get this to go down the way I want it to. The goal: -to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access values of awk/nawk variables outside the awk/nawk block?

i'm new to shell scripting and have a problem please help me in the script i have a nawk block which has a variable count nawk{ . . . count=count+1 print count } now i want to access the value of the count variable outside the awk block,like.. s=`expr count / m` (m is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saniya
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the nawk variables to the shell

nawk '($1 ~ "1000") && ($1 ~ "5665" ) { sub ($6,"89");flag =1;print }' old.txt >> new.txt I want to set a flag in awk , if the both conditions are met. I want to pass this flag to shell Can anyone please help me on this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prav076
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I use nawk -v with two or more variables?

Hi, Is it possible in awk/nawk to pass two or more variables in the -v flag? That is: X=1 Y=2 nawk -v X=$X Y=$Y..... Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daytripper1021
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk variables

Hi - The following nawk is not working and trying to understand why! nawk -v t="internal_order" '/SAP_RM_ADMIN_SCHEMA/ && ("" toupper(t)) || /SAP_RM_ADMIN_SCHEMA/ && ("" tolower(t))' PBFD100.ksh My intention is to retrieve the line containing SAP_RM_ADMIN_SCHEMA.internal_order but its just not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anduzzi
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two shell variables using nawk

How do you use two shell variables in awk? I am using Solaris 10 and don't have GNU products installed. File (transportation.txt) contents: car make boat model airplane landing snowmobile track bicycle helmet sled housing Thanks to this forum this code works (prints everything from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple bash variables passed into nawk

I have a file that has 2 fields called b_file: 11977 DAR.V3.20150209.1.CSV 3295 DAR.V3.20150209.1.CSV 1721 DAR.V2.20150210.1.CSV I need to search a sftplog using the field 1, but want to maintain the relationship between field 1 and 2. I am passing field 1 as a parameter in a bash loop. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: smenago
14 Replies
geom(1) 																   geom(1)

NAME
geom - analyzes a molecular geometry input in Cartesian coordinates. DESCRIPTION
The program geom reads a set of Cartesian coordinates and determines from them the bond distances (Bohr and angstrom), bond angles, tor- sional angles, out-of-plane angles (optional), moments of inertia, and rotational constants. FILES REQUIRED
input.dat - Input file and one of the following: geom.dat - geometry file file11.dat - PSI-format geometry/gradient file FILES GENERATED
geom.out - file containing the analysis INPUT OPTIONS
The geom program has the following options: -h Print help information (these options). -aces [filename] Read the input in an ACES output format, with each line consisting of atomic symbol, atomic number, and Cartesian coordinates (in Bohr). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -qchem [filename] Read the input in an QCHEM output format, with each line consisting of the atom number, the atomic symbol, and Cartesian coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -xyz [filename] Read the input in an XYZ output format. The first line contains the number of atoms and the second line is a comment line. Subse- quent lines each contain the atomic symbol and Cartesian X Y and Z coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -oop Print out-of-plane angles, where the angle a-b-c-d is defined as the angle formed by the vector a-d and the plane defined by atoms b, c, and d. DO_OOP = boolean Same as command-line switch -oop described above. ISOTOPES = matrix of reals/strings Used to specify masses to be used in the calculation of the center of mass and rotational constants. One array is provided for each isotopomer to be calculated. The arrays can mix floating point numbers with strings which designate isotopes. If this array is not given and file11.dat is present, then the masses will be obtained by converting the atomic numbers in file11. If masses are not given by ISOTOPES or by file11, then no mass-related quantities will be calculated. -g [filename] Read Cartesian coordinates from a file other than file11.dat. If a filename is not given, the default is geom.dat. The alternative file is assumed to be in a format similar to that of PSI's geom.dat. Since such files do not contain atomic numbers, the moments of inertia and rotational constants are not calculated if this option is used. READ_GEOM = boolean This option in input.dat tells geom to read the geometry from geom.dat in the PSI geom.dat format. -a Print parameters for all pair distances. PRINT_ALL_DIST = boolean Same as -a flag described above. -d distance Only print parameters involving pairs of atoms which are less than distance bohr apart (default value is 4.0 bohr). PRINT_DISTANCE = value Same as -d flag described above. -angstrom The input coordinates are in angstroms, not bohr. ANGSTROM = boolean If TRUE, the input coordinates are in angstroms instead of bohr. The default is FALSE. The following example is for calculating the geometrical information for water with several different isotopes. The geometry is read from geom.dat rather than from file11.dat. geom: ( read_geom = true isotopes = ( (O H H) (O D D) (O18 1.007825 1.007825) ) ) 5 June, 1998 geom(1)