Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Difference between cp and mv linux command Post 302424866 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 26th of May 2010 12:34:18 PM
Old 05-26-2010
mv takes the file and places it in a another directory, the entry in the old directory is removed. if you mv from filesyem1 to filesystem2, mv behaves like cp + rm old file.
The rename() C call does what mv does.

cp duplicates the file - you have two entries in directories, old and new.

Is that what you mean?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Difference in LINUX and SOLARIS

/* * one-way-pipe.c - example of using a pipe to communicate data between a * process and its child process. The parent reads input * from the user, and sends it to the child via a pipe. * The child prints the received data to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SQ4LIFE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

OK, I've used various versions of UNIX(Solaris, HPUX, etc..) over the years. Now the organization I work for is leaning towards more Linux based systems(Redhat, Suse, etc..) I do see differences in in comands and how to accomplish basic adminstration, but nothing mind blowing. So, what is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

su command difference between unix and linux

Hello all the su with -l option is running normal with linux but when i try to run it on unix AIX 5.2.7 it's not working with -l option any help (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux

Hi I am new to linux I have dout waht is the difference between UNIX and LINUX Is there any soft for insatallation for UNIX OS Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaya
0 Replies

5. Linux

Difference between Windows and Linux

Hi, What is the difference between Linux and Windows? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
1 Replies

6. Linux

What is the difference between Linux and Windows?

Hi, What is the difference between Linux and Windows? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

hi experts please tell me the real difference between unix and linux at kernel structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linurag
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Difference Redhat Linux/RH Enterprise Linux

what is the difference between Redhat Linux and Redhat Enterprise Linux. whereas Redhat linux have Server installation options too. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX to Linux command difference

Moving from AIX 6.1 to RHEL 6.6, I have noticed a few command differences. One that has been causing issue is a simple echo command when I have to use it this way -> "echo -e" On the AIX it outputs to "-e" but since RHEL has "-e" as an option for echo and hence it outputs to blank here. All... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aster007
3 Replies
RENAME(2)							System Calls Manual							 RENAME(2)

NAME
rename - change the name of a file SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int rename(const char *from, const char *to) DESCRIPTION
Rename causes the link named from to be renamed as to. If to exists, then it is first removed. Both from and to must be of the same type (that is, both directories or both non-directories), and must reside on the same file system. Rename guarantees that an instance of to will always exist, even if the system should crash in the middle of the operation. If the final component of from is a symbolic link, the symbolic link is renamed, not the file or directory to which it points. RETURN VALUE
A 0 value is returned if the operation succeeds, otherwise rename returns -1 and the global variable errno indicates the reason for the failure. ERRORS
Rename will fail and neither of the argument files will be affected if any of the following are true: [ENAMETOOLONG] A path name exceeds PATH_MAX characters. [ENOENT] A component of the from path does not exist, or a path prefix of to does not exist. [EACCES] A component of either path prefix denies search permission. [EACCES] The requested link requires writing in a directory with a mode that denies write permission. [EPERM] The directory containing from is marked sticky, and neither the containing directory nor from are owned by the effective user ID. [EPERM] The to file exists, the directory containing to is marked sticky, and neither the containing directory nor to are owned by the effective user ID. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating either pathname. (Minix-vmd) [ENOTDIR] A component of either path prefix is not a directory. [ENOTDIR] From is a directory, but to is not a directory. [EISDIR] To is a directory, but from is not a directory. [EXDEV] The link named by to and the file named by from are on different logical devices (file systems). [ENOSPC] The directory in which the entry for the new name is being placed cannot be extended because there is no space left on the file system containing the directory. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while making or updating a directory entry. [EROFS] The requested link requires writing in a directory on a read-only file system. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EINVAL] From is a parent directory of to, or an attempt is made to rename ``.'' or ``..''. [ENOTEMPTY] To is a directory and is not empty. SEE ALSO
open(2) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 22, 1986 RENAME(2)