Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parse XML file in shell script Post 302424750 by yassine on Wednesday 26th of May 2010 08:16:57 AM
Old 05-26-2010
Java Parse XML file in shell script

Hi Everybody,

I have an XML file containing some data and i want to extract it, but the specific issue in my file is that the data is repeated some times like the following example :

<section1>
<subsection1>
X=...
Y=...
Z=...
<\subsection1>
<subsection2>
X=...
Y=...
Z=...
<\subsection2>
<\section1>

the idea is to select (or extract) X and Z for a specific subsection only, note here that the number of subsection is changing frequently, (grep didn't work).

Many thanks in advance for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse a XML file using PERL and XML::DOm

I need to know the way. I have got parsing down some nodes. But I was unable to get the child node perfectly. If you have code please send it. It will be very useful for me. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girigopal
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse a string in XML file using shell script

Hi! I'm just new here and don't know much about shell scripting. I just want to ask for help in creating a shell script that will parse a string or value of the status in the xml file. Please sample xml file below. Can you please help me create a simple script to get the value of status? Also it... (46 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
46 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in creating a Unix Script to parse xml file

Hi All, My requirement is create an unix script to parse the xml file and display the values of the Elements/value between the tags on console. Like say, I would like to fetch the value of errorCode from the below xml which is 'U007' and display it. Can we use SED command for this? I have tried... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anil.Wmg
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove xml namespace from xml file using shell script?

I have an xml file: <AutoData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <Table1> <Data1 10 </Data1> <Data2 20 </Data2> <Data3 40 </Data3> <Table1> </AutoData> and I have to remove the portion xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" only. I tried using sed... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary1978
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse XML file into CSV with shell?

Hi, It's been a few years since college when I did stuff like this all the time. Can someone help me figure out how to best tackle this problem? I need to parse a file full of entries that look like this: <eq action="A" sectyType="0" symbol="PGR" exch="CA" curr="VEF" sess="NORM"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pcushing
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex/shell script to Parse through XML Records

Hi All, I have been working on something that doesn't seem to have a clear regex solution and I just wanted to run it by everyone to see if I could get some insight into the method of solving this problem. I have a flat text file that contains billing records for users, however the records... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jerrad
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (not Perl) to parse xml with awk

Hi, I have to make an script according to these: - I have couples of files like: xxxxxxxxxxxxx.csv xxxxxxxxxxxxx_desc.xml - every xml file has diferent fields, but keeps this format: ........ <defaultName>2011-02-25T16:43:43.582Z</defaultName> ........... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pluff
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Parse the XML data along with the URL in Shell Script?

Hi, Can anybody help to solve this. I want to parse some xmldata along with the URL in the Shell. I'm calling the URL via the curl command Given below is my shell script file export... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Megala
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell command need to parse multiple nested tag value of a XML file

I have this XML file - <gp> <mms>1110012</mms> <tg>988</tg> <mm>LongTime</mm> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Desti = Motion</lkid> <kk>12</kk> </lv> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Source = Velocity</lkid> <kk>2</kk> </lv> <lv> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedASolution
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse xml in shell script and extract records with specific condition

Hi I have xml file with multiple records and would like to extract records from xml with specific condition if specific tag is present extract entire row otherwise skip . <logentry revision="21510"> <author>mantest</author> <date>2015-02-27</date> <QC_ID>334566</QC_ID>... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: madankumar.t@hp
12 Replies
FBB::OFoldStreambuf(3bobcat)                                      Fold long lines                                     FBB::OFoldStreambuf(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::OFoldStreambuf - Folds long lines written to ostream SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
FBB::OFoldStreambuf is a specialization of FBB::OFilterStreambuf folding long lines written to an std::ostream object. The OFoldStreambuf writes the (folded) lines to a second ostream (the destination stream which is either used by or opened by the OFoldStreambuf object. Internally the OFoldStreambuf defines its actions using a little finite state automation distinguishing three states (INDENT, WS and NON_WS) and three character categories ( , other white space characters (space), and non-space characters). The nine combinations result- ing from these two sets are discussed below. OFoldStreambuf objects will never fold lines in the middle of series of non-blank characters (called a `word' below) but will always break a line at a white space character. The resulting lines will always appear to the right of a configurable left margin and to the left of a configurable right margin. There is a somewhat pathological exception to this: if a word is too long to fit in between the margins then the word will exceed the right hand margin. The indentation used for the left margins is configurable to either blanks (the default) or tabs. When tabs are used the width of a tab character is configurable, using a default of 8 positions in the destination stream. What follows is a description of the Finite State Automaton (FSA) defining what happens when various character types appear at its three states. The phrase `... is written' means that the described information is written to the ostream used or opened by the OFoldStreambuf object. OFoldStreambuf's initial state is INDENT: State char. description ----------------------------------------------------------------------- INDENT a new line character is written space the indentation is set; the space character is added to the indentation; next state: WS non-ws the character is added to the currently stored word; next state: NON_WS ----------------------------------------------------------------------- WS a new line character is written; stored white-space is erased; next state: INDENT space white space character is added to the currently stored space characters; non-ws the character is added to the currently stored word; next state: NON_WS ----------------------------------------------------------------------- NON_WS stored white space and word are written; a new line is written; next state: INDENT space stored white space and word are written; white space character is added to the currently stored space characters; next state: WS non-ws the character is added to the currently stored word; ----------------------------------------------------------------------- NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
FBB::OFilterStreambuf ENUMERATION
The enumeration TabsOrBlanks is used to select tabs or blanks when writing the indentation. The default is blanks. When tabs are selected the display width of tabs characters can be configured as well (using the default of 8 positions for each tab-character. The enumeration has two values: o BLANKS: The default, indicating that the left margin is specified and written as a number of blanks; o TABS: Indicating that the left margin is specified and written as a number of tab-characters. The enumeration TrailingBlanks is used to configure the OFoldStreambuf object with respect to any trailing blanks that may appear on the final line. These trailing blanks can appear on the final line it it is not properly terminated with a newline character but instead ends in white space. By default these white space characters are ignored, but they may be kept as well. The enumeration has two values: o IGNORE_TRAILING_BLANKS: This indicates that trailing blanks appearing at the final line if it is not terminated by a newline should not be written to the destination std::ostream. This is the default used by OFoldStreambuf objects. o KEEP_TRAILING_BLANKS: This indicates that trailing blanks at the final line if it is not terminated by a newline should be written to the destination std::ostream CONSTRUCTORS
o OFoldStreambuf(size_t leftIndent = 0, size_t rightMargin = 80, TabsOrBlanks tob = BLANKS, TrailingBlanks tb = IGNORE_TRAIL- ING_BLANKS): This constructor initializes an OFoldStreambuf object but does not associate it with a destination stream. It can also be used as the default constructor. o OFoldStreambuf(char const *fname, size_t leftIndent = 0, size_t rightMargin = 80, TabsOrBlanks tob = BLANKS, TrailingBlanks tb = IGNORE_TRAILING_BLANKS): This constructor initializes an OFoldStreambuf object and opens (using std::ios::out) the destination stream using the name speci- fied as its fname argument. o OFoldStreambuf(std::ostream &stream, size_t leftIndent = 0, size_t rightMargin = 80, TabsOrBlanks tob = BLANKS, TrailingBlanks tb = IGNORE_TRAILING_BLANKS): This constructor initializes an OFoldStreambuf object and uses as its destination stream the std::ostream stream. The destructor writes any buffered information to the destination stream and will then flush the destination stream. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
All members of FBB::OFilterStreambuf, in particular its out() and open() members are available, as FBB::OFoldStreambuf inherits from this class. o void setMargins(size_t leftMargin, size_t rightMargin): This member can be used to modify the left- and right folding margins. Note that the left margin may also be modified using the FBB::lm and FBB::mlm manipulators. o void setTrailingBlanks(TrailingBlanks tb): This member can be used to modify the currently used TrailingBlanks parameter. o void useBlanks(): This member can be used to select blanks to be used when inserting left margins. o void useTabs(size_t tabWidth = 8): This member can be used to select tab-characters to be used when inserting left margins. The second parameter is used to specify the display width of a tab-character. STATIC MEMBER FUNCTIONS
o size_t leftMargin(std::ostreambuf const *buffer): This member returns the current left margin setting of the OFoldStreambuf object passed to it as its argument. The member defines a std::streambuf parameter which is down cast to an OFoldStreambuf and an FBB::Errno exception is thrown if that cast fails. o size_t rightMargin(std::ostreambuf const *buffer): This member returns the current right margin setting of the OFoldStreambuf object passed to it as its argument. The member's parame- ter is down cast in the same way as leftMargin()'s argument: an FBB::Errno exception is thrown if that cast fails. PROTECTED MEMBER FUNCTION
The member listed in this section implements the tasks of the comparably named virtual function in the class's private interface. This sep- arates the redefinable interface from the user-interface. The class OFoldStreambuf can, in accordance with Liskov's Substitution Principle, be used as a std:streambuf; but it also offers a facility for classes deriving from OFoldStreambuf. This facility is listed here. o int pSync(): The contents of the OFoldStreambuf's internal buffer is flushed. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <ostream> #include <string> #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStreambuf fb(cout, 4, 40); ostream out(&fb); out << lm(4); string line; while (getline(cin, line)) out << line << ' '; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/ofoldstreambuf - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), lm(3bobcat), mlm(3bobcat), ofilterstreambuf(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::OFoldStreambuf(3bobcat)