Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extract string until regexp from backside Post 302424690 by elifchen on Wednesday 26th of May 2010 05:55:31 AM
Old 05-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertogarcia
Hi,
if then number of fields are always 4 (with . as field separator) maybe this would be a solution:

Code:
echo $string | awk 'BEGIN{FS="."} {print $1"."$2"."$3".D"}'

if the number of fields are variable, then use a for loop until NF-1 (number of fields.

I tried this:
echo $string |awk -F. '{print $1"."$2"."$3".D"}' - I think this is the same Smilie

---------- Post updated at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashxx
SED sol:
Code:
echo "TEST.ABC201005.MONTHLY.D101010090900203"|sed -e "s/\.D[^\.]\{1,\}/\.D/"

It looks like I have to learn a new language - sed. Very confusing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regexp to get first line of string

Hi everybody for file in * #Bash performs filename expansion #+ on expressions that globbing recognizes. do output="`grep -n "$1" "$file"`" echo "$file: `expr "$output" : '\(^.*$\)'`" done In the above bash script segment, I try to print just the first line of string named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonas.gabriel
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract words before and after a pattern/regexp

Couldn't find much help on the kind of question I've here: There is this text file with text as: Line one has a bingo Line two does not have a bingo but it has a tango Bingo is on line three Line four has both tango and bingo Now I would want to search for the pattern "bingo" in this file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print the line immediately after a regexp; but regexp is a sentence

Good Day, Im new to scripting especially awk and sed. I just would like to ask help from you guys about a sed command that prints the line immediately after a regexp, but not the line containing the regexp. sed -n '/regexp/{n;p;}' filename What if my regexp is 3 word or a sentence. Im... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ownins
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

...yet another string of awk/sed questions from a RegExp-Challenged luser %-\

Greetings all, ...here is yet another string of awk/sed questions from a RegExp-Challenged luser :eek: I'm looking to have sed/awk do some clean-up on routing tables and to that end, I would like to do the following: 1.) If a line contains the word "masks" or "subnets" prepend CR/LF to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteveB-in-LV
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regexp: match string that contains list of chars

Hi, I'm curious about how to do a very simple thing with regular expressions that I'm unable to figure out. If I want to find out if a string contains 'a' AND 'b' AND 'c' it can be very easily done with grep: echo $STRING|grep a|grep b|grep c but, how would you do that in a single... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimcanoa
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use regexp to find an ipaddress from a query string?

I need help with a regexp to find out the ip address which can possibly be present in a URL. The URLs can be in any of the following form <domain>?a=12345&d=somestring1 <domain>?c=10.10.10.100&d=somestring1 <domain>?a=12345&b=somestring1&c=10.1.2.4d=somestring2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampak
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regexp to extract first and second column

Hi, I am trying with the below Perl one-liner using regular expression to extract the first and second column of a text file: perl -p -e "s/\s*(\w+).*/$1/" perl -p -e "s/\s*.+\s(.+)\s*/$1\n/" whereas the text file's data looks like: Error: terminated 2233 Warning: reboot 3434 Warning:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regexp for string that might contain a given character

I'm probably just not thinking of the correct term to search for :-) But I want to match a pattern that might be 'ABC' or '1ABC' there might be three characters, or there might be four, but if there are four, the first has to be 1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnojr
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and Replace String in Perl - Regexp

Trying to find and replace one string with another string in a file #!/usr/bin/perl $csd_table_path = "/file.ntab"; $find_str = '--bundle_type=021'; $repl_str = '--bundle_type=021 --target=/dev/disk1s2'; if( system("/usr/bin/perl -p -i -e 's/$find_str/$repl_str/' $csd_table_path")... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cillmor
2 Replies
INSTR(3)						       MBK UTILITY FUNCTIONS							  INSTR(3)

NAME
instr - find an occurence of a string in a string, starting at a specified character. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSYS
#include "mut.h" char *instr(s, find, from) char *s, *find, from; PARAMETERS
s Pointer to the string to be searched for the pattern find Pointer to the string to be found, the pattern from Character to be searched backwards before searching for the pattern DESCRIPTION
instr searches the first occurence of the string find in the string s, starting its search at the last occurence of the from character in the string s. If either s or find is NULL, the function returns NULL. If from is (char)0, the pattern is searched from the begining of s. This quite exotic behaviour is useful to search the occurence of a name in a string resulting from a flatten, when only a terminal object name is to be taken into account. RETURN VALUES
instr return NULL either if the pattern find is not present in the searched string s, or if one at least of these two string are NULL. If the pattern is found, a value different from NULL is returned. EXAMPLE
#include "mut.h" /* check for the pattern 'ck' anywhere in the string */ #define contains_ck(name)instr(name, "ck", ' ') /* check for the pattern 'ck' in the signal name, not instance ones */ #define isclock(ptsig) instr(getsigname(ptsig), "ck", SEPAR) SEE ALSO
mbk(1), isvdd(3), isvss(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 INSTR(3)