Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use of ./ in executing a script. Post 302424635 by singh.chandan18 on Wednesday 26th of May 2010 01:46:23 AM
Old 05-26-2010
Use of ./ in executing a script.

Hi Guys,

Hope you are doing well out there.

Can you please let me know why do we use "./" to run a shell script?

Is it to run the script in the current shell or something else?

What if I have already defined a bang in the script say #!/bin/ksh and then running the script as ./myscript?

I would also like to know the difference in running a script as ./myscript and . /myscript(with white space).

Any help from you in understanding this would be highly appereciated.

Thanks,
Chandan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not executing

test:/oracle/home $ ex_im1.sh ksh: exp_imp1.sh: not found $echo $SHELL /bin/ksh ex_im1.sh has rwxr--r-- permissions thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing script

Hello ; I have a script myscript.sh. If I type at prompt myscript.sh I will receive ksh: myscript.sh: not found but if I type ./myscript.sh it works . What should I do to be able to run myscript just typing myscript.sh Many thanks before. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not executing

Hi , Kindly advice whats wrong with this script. It is not executing. ...# #!/bin/ksh find. -name "b.log" if ; then echo "1" fi ...# Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Executing a shell script from windows;script present in unix

I need to execute a shell script kept in unix machine from windows. User id, password area available. For eg. There's a shell script wich moves all the logs kept in my home directory to a directory named LOGS. Now i need to get this done through windows; either using a batch file, or java... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajneesh_kapoor
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables of executed script available in executing script

Hi, I have a script get_DB_var.ksh which do a data base call and get some variables as below: sqlplus -silent $user/$pass@dbname <<END select col1, col2, col3 from table_name where col4=$1; exit; END Now I want to access all these variables i.e.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with executing script

Dear All, I have a script on my USB and I want to execute it on set of files when I connect via ssh on the server ... I'm not able to define the path of the script located in the USB ... how can I use this script without copying/moving it into the directory I'm working on in the ssh mode ....... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing one script from other

Script test #! /bin/csh -f echo checking the sset command if( -e /home/user/project/runtest/testdir/ts ) then echo ts script present set cmd = "/home/user/project/runtest/testdir/ts a 1 b 2 c 3" else echo script not present endif echo $cmd echo done script ts #!/bin/csh -f set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: animesharma
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script not executing

Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted it here. I've used UNIX quite a bit, LINUX not so much. For some reason, my LINUX script will not execute if I type in the script name and press enter. I'm in the directory where the script is. test.sh However, when I use ". ./" it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script dosent exits after executing the script

Hi i wrote a script which dosent exists after executing any help #!/bin/bash netstat -ptlen | grep 10000 if ; then echo "Hive Thrift server is running" exit 0 else echo "Hive Thrift server is down Trying to Bring up the service" | mail -s "ALERT" team@domain.com `nohup hive... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikatakavi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Oracle script from UNIX Script

Hi, I am new to UNIX and want to execute oracle script from unix script. I have written below script but i am getting below error. #!/bin/bash file="/home/usr/control/control_file1" while read line do #$line=@$line #echo $line sqlplus tiger/scott@DB @$line exit #echo "$line" done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin kumar rai
3 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)