Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Overhead of using a shared library Post 302424578 by Dongping84 on Tuesday 25th of May 2010 06:24:00 PM
Old 05-25-2010
well, if the resident shared memory does not contain hash table or symbol table, what else does it contain except the pure code referenced by the executable? As I mentioned before, the size of the referenced function is only hundred bytes, but the size of resident shared memory is 76 KB. So there must be other sections loaded in the physical memory when use a share library, right?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared Library

hello all I want to work in shared libraries how can i work in Linux Environment ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Shared Library Problem

I have this error when I try to do check on the oracle database... Can you help me figure out whats the problem? Thanks for all the help! /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libjox8.sl'. /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libjox8.sl'. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shared library

What is the primary difference between static library and dynamic library? and how to write static shared library? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: areef4u
1 Replies

4. Programming

Shared memory in shared library

I need to create a shared library to access an in memory DB. The DB is not huge, but big enough to make it cumbersome to carry around in every single process using the shared library. Luckily, it is pretty static information, so I don't need to worry much about synchronizing the data between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
12 Replies

5. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Shared Library Issue HP UX

I have never seen this issue before, but here is what is happening. I link an executable against two dynamic mlib libraries veclib and lapack. We place a newer version of these libraries in a write only directory and point the shlib_path at that directory. When the executable runs, it gets a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sambarusty
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a Makefile from building static library to shared library?

Hi: I have a library that it only offers Makefile for building static library. It built libxxx.a file. How do I in any way build a shared library? (either changin the Makefile or direct script or command to build shared library) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpthk
1 Replies

8. Programming

Loading the shared library I want

Hi All I have been given by someone else header file and a shared library to be used by my C++ application. Compilation is fine but when I try to executes the application I receive the following error. ./first: error while loading shared libraries: libMyLib.so.9: cannot open shared object file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
2 Replies

9. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

10. AIX

Add shared members from library to same library in a different directory

I'm trying to install libiconv to AIX 7.1 from an rpm off of the perzl site. The rpm appears to install but I get this error message. add shr4.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a add shr.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kneemoe
5 Replies
GLARETEXTURESRESIDENT(3G)												 GLARETEXTURESRESIDENT(3G)

NAME
glAreTexturesResident - determine if textures are loaded in texture memory C SPECIFICATION
GLboolean glAreTexturesResident( GLsizei n, const GLuint *textures, GLboolean *residences ) PARAMETERS
n Specifies the number of textures to be queried. textures Specifies an array containing the names of the textures to be queried. residences Specifies an array in which the texture residence status is returned. The residence status of a texture named by an element of textures is returned in the corresponding element of residences. DESCRIPTION
GL establishes a ``working set'' of textures that are resident in texture memory. These textures can be bound to a texture target much more efficiently than textures that are not resident. glAreTexturesResident queries the texture residence status of the n textures named by the elements of textures. If all the named textures are resident, glAreTexturesResident returns GL_TRUE, and the contents of residences are undisturbed. If not all the named textures are resident, glAreTexturesResident returns GL_FALSE, and detailed status is returned in the n elements of residences. If an element of resi- dences is GL_TRUE, then the texture named by the corresponding element of textures is resident. The residence status of a single bound texture may also be queried by calling glGetTexParameter with the target argument set to the target to which the texture is bound, and the pname argument set to GL_TEXTURE_RESIDENT. This is the only way that the residence status of a default texture can be queried. NOTES
glAreTexturesResident is available only if the GL version is 1.1 or greater. glAreTexturesResident returns the residency status of the textures at the time of invocation. It does not guarantee that the textures will remain resident at any other time. If textures reside in virtual memory (there is no texture memory), they are considered always resident. Some implementations may not load a texture until the first use of that texture. ERRORS
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if n is negative. GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if any element in textures is 0 or does not name a texture. In that case, the function returns GL_FALSE and the contents of residences is indeterminate. GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated if glAreTexturesResident is executed between the execution of glBegin and the corresponding execution of glEnd. ASSOCIATED GETS
glGetTexParameter with parameter name GL_TEXTURE_RESIDENT retrieves the residence status of a currently bound texture. SEE ALSO
glBindTexture(3G), glGetTexParameter(3G), glPrioritizeTextures(3G), glTexImage1D(3G), glTexImage2D(3G), glTexImage3D(3G), glTexParameter(3G) GLARETEXTURESRESIDENT(3G)