Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding string in very long file without newlines Post 302424569 by aaronpoley on Tuesday 25th of May 2010 06:14:45 PM
Old 05-25-2010
Got something to work

When I tried fmt as shown above, the output is the input. But, the following works, breaking up the lines in test-d at occurrences of "sd" (> is a command prompt):
sed '
> s/sd/\
> /g' test-d >> test-d2

test-d2 will contain the broken lines.

Thanks for all you help.

---------- Post updated at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:37 PM ----------

Note to others with this problem: This solution seems to work in bash, not in tcsh, but maybe in other shells.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out how long a command takes to run

Hi I am trying to find out the best way to find out how long a command takes to run in miliseconds .. Is there such a way of doing this in Unix ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfoxwell
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain string on each line in a file

Hi, I need a script to get every line from a file where there are less then 17 ; on a line. Thank's (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VODAFUN
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finding a string in a file

hi all.. I dont know how to search for a string in a file.. I have tried doing.. I did google but didnt get effective answers..my code is as follows: int search(char* filename,const char* username,const char* passwd) { int flag=0; unsigned long fsize=0; unsigned long current=0;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ume1986
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding out how long a script runs for and exit reason.

I am running a daemon program that sends texts via a connected mobile phone. I run this daemon via CLI, and it loops a few commands (checking to see if there are any new texts). It runs perfectly, the problem is, when I leave this to run on my Ubuntu Desktop, and come back to it hours later it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daydreamer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with finding unique string in log file

Shell script help Here is 3 sample lines from a log file <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID= user login <date> DEBUG <java.com.blah> <nlah bla> abcd:ID=123 user login <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID=3243 user login I want to find unique "ID" from this log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files with a certain name string inside of another file.

Hi, I have a very large file that contains a listing of all files on the system. I need to create a listing from that file of all files that start with the following format: s???_*, whereas the '?' represents characters, so the file name begins with an 's' followed by three other characters and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tes218
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a string in a file

Hello All, I have a text file, i want to search for a string in it and the string is repeated multiple times in a file i want to get the first occurence of the string in a variable. the content of file is like: I want to grepthe first occurance of "Configuration flow done" and store the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand2308
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Finding largest files takes too long

Good evening. because the folder has thousand of files it takes too long and have some trouble to get the largest files and then compress files or delete it, for instance find . -size +10000000c -exec ls -ld {} \; |sort -k5n | grep -v .gz The above commad took an hour and i have to cancel... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Finding specific string in file and storing in another file

Text in input file is like this <title> <band height="21" isSplitAllowed="true" > <staticText> <reportElement x="1" y="1" width="313" height="20" key="staticText-1"/> <box></box> <textElement> <font fontName="Arial" pdfFontName="Helvetica-Bold"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aankita30
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with newlines in filename

I want to use grep to find files that have newlines in the filename. For example, I have a directory where I create three files: $ touch file1 $ touch "file 2" $ touch "file > with > newlines" $ find . ./file 2 ./file1 ./file?with?newlinesI now want to pipe the find output into grep and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
4 Replies
GO-TESTFLAG(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					    GO-TESTFLAG(7)

NAME
go - tool for managing Go source code DESCRIPTION
The 'go test' command takes both flags that apply to 'go test' itself and flags that apply to the resulting test binary. The test binary, called pkg.test, where pkg is the name of the directory containing the package sources, has its own flags: -test.v Verbose output: log all tests as they are run. -test.run pattern Run only those tests and examples matching the regular expression. -test.bench pattern Run benchmarks matching the regular expression. By default, no benchmarks run. -test.cpuprofile cpu.out Write a CPU profile to the specified file before exiting. -test.memprofile mem.out Write a memory profile to the specified file when all tests are complete. -test.memprofilerate n Enable more precise (and expensive) memory profiles by setting runtime.MemProfileRate. See 'godoc runtime MemProfileRate'. To pro- file all memory allocations, use -test.memprofilerate=1 and set the environment variable GOGC=off to disable the garbage collector, provided the test can run in the available memory without garbage collection. -test.parallel n Allow parallel execution of test functions that call t.Parallel. The value of this flag is the maximum number of tests to run simultaneously; by default, it is set to the value of GOMAXPROCS. -test.short Tell long-running tests to shorten their run time. It is off by default but set during all.bash so that installing the Go tree can run a sanity check but not spend time running exhaustive tests. -test.timeout t If a test runs longer than t, panic. -test.benchtime n Run enough iterations of each benchmark to take n seconds. The default is 1 second. -test.cpu 1,2,4 Specify a list of GOMAXPROCS values for which the tests or benchmarks should be executed. The default is the current value of GOMAXPROCS. For convenience, each of these -test.X flags of the test binary is also available as the flag -X in 'go test' itself. Flags not listed here are passed through unaltered. For instance, the command go test -x -v -cpuprofile=prof.out -dir=testdata -update will compile the test binary and then run it as pkg.test -test.v -test.cpuprofile=prof.out -dir=testdata -update AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Michael Stapelberg <stapelberg@debian.org>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). 2012-05-13 GO-TESTFLAG(7)