Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unknown VGs
Operating Systems AIX Unknown VGs Post 302424430 by bakunin on Tuesday 25th of May 2010 08:00:22 AM
Old 05-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeng808
altinst_rootvg under is meant for alternate disk installation.. But I'm not sure for which version of OS it was created.

[...]

Is there a way I can figure out the version of AIX on both of this VG's without downtime for the server.
Without downtime it will come down to some detective-work: read out the contents of the respective ODMs with the "odmget" command (stored in "<mountpoint>/etc/objrepos" and "<mountpoint>/usr/lib/objrepos") to find out about the information stored there. Start with "<mountpoint>/etc/objrepos/lpp" and "<mountpoint>/etc/objrepos/history".

Further, you can use the "what" command to find out about the version information of the system binaries in the alternative rootvgs.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unknown host

Hello all I'm new to this site and I have to say that ,it is just awesome. I was able to get most of my questions answered by reading the archives. I've been a UNIX programmer for a while now but new to administration. I just installed SunOS 5.9 on my desktop ( i86pc) . Everything... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
3 Replies

2. AIX

no VGs found

When I give lsvg command It says no VGs found When I give lspv,it gives a listing of all PVs corresponding to their respective VGs i.e. rootvg,uservg,etc. But when I give lspv hdisk0 It says rootvg not found in Configuration Manager Database. thanks Manu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
3 Replies

3. AIX

mksysb restore ( vgs on SAN disks)

I have my application vendor looking at this but I want to do my own investigation. I restored from mksysb and I see my vgs that contain my internal disks. But I do not see my vgs that contain disks from the SAN. This scares me .. {{ Ha, ha!! My AIX expert boss just told me I have nothing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unknown utility

Hi everyone, I am a beginner in Linux and Shell scripting.I am migrating a couple of shell scripts from Solaris platform to Linux platform.In one script i saw a usage as : /base/article/ocilib/lobfile $username/$password $filename $filepath I didn't understand what this represents.The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
2 Replies

5. AIX

Wierd thing about FSs and VGs

Hello It appears that on a regular basis, perhaps when weekly rebooting happens, not sure yet, my odm becomes out of sync. When doing a smitty file system list by volume group, the FS type is displayed as ??? on several FSs. Always in the same VG. I know how to fix this problem, thing is,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
4 Replies

6. Solaris

PING - Unknown host 127.0.0.1, Unknown host localhost - Solaris 10

Hello, I have a problem - I created a chrooted jail for one user. When I'm logged in as root, everything work fine, but when I'm logged in as a chrooted user - I have many problems: 1. When I execute the command ping, I get weird results: bash-3.00$ usr/sbin/ping localhost ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
4 Replies

7. SuSE

Remove disks from VGs in LVM

Hi, I have following set up on Open suse 11 vgdisplay pvdisplay lvdisplay I would like to remove these disks /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc from LVM and do not use them for anything.. Can anyone please help me with this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: upengan78
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Unknown fstype?

Dear all I have formatted/labeled/partitioned my new disk but when trying to mount it is returning 'unknown fstype' .Can you please let me know how to solve this problem? Thank you (37 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
37 Replies

9. Solaris

In cluster configuration ora* VGs are not controlled by VCS

Need some one to explain "In cluster configuration ora* VGs are not controlled by VCS". Actually, I am not aware of this. Thanks, Rama (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramareddi16
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify missing VGs

lsvg command returns rootvg mqB01vg heartbeatvg mqA01vg oracleAvg2 cevgA01 orastgevg ..... lsvg -o command returns rootvg mqB01vg heartbeatvg mqA01vg oracleAvg2 ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies
DOWNTIMES(1)						      General Commands Manual						      DOWNTIMES(1)

NAME
downtimes - display system downtime records made by downtimed(8) SYNOPSIS
downtimes [-d downtimedbfile] [-n num] [-s sleep] downtimes -v downtime [-d downtimedbfile] [-n num] [-s sleep] downtime -v DESCRIPTION
The downtimes command displays the contents of the downtime database in human readable format. The downtime database is maintained by down- timed(8). The singular form downtime displays details only about the last time the system was down, whereas the plural form downtimes displays all records in the database. The -n option can be used to specify the number of downtime records to display. OPTIONS
-d downtimedbfile Use the specified downtime database file instead of the system default. -n num Define how many latest downtime records to output. Default is all. -s sleep Calculate the approximate crash time by specifying what was the sleep value of downtimed(8). -v Display the program version number, copyright message and the default settings. EXIT STATUS
The program exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
downtimed(8), uptime(1), http://dist.epipe.com/downtimed/ BUGS
The reporting accuracy in case of a system crash depends on how often the time stamp is updated. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009-2011 EPIPE Communications. All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBU- TORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCURE- MENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABIL- ITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. The views and conclusions contained in the software and documentation are those of the authors and should not be interpreted as represent- ing official policies, either expressed or implied, of EPIPE Communications. version 0.5 2011-03-02 DOWNTIMES(1)