Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Migrating a NIM Server to AIX 6.1 Post 302424405 by bakunin on Tuesday 25th of May 2010 07:12:11 AM
Old 05-25-2010
You can configure a NIM server to be a NIM client too. Still, that won't help you in upgrading the first NIM server, as you cannot install a version later than what the NIM server was installed with. You could, though, install all your other NIM servers from the one you install now.

Under "normal" circumstances (in other words: as far as i know ;-) ) there is nothing special to consider in upgrading the system because of its special role.

You could, btw., use the alt_disk_install method even when installing from CDs, which would reduce the downtime of the NIM server and would allow you to revert to the previous state in case something goes wrong.

For security reasons you could varyoff the VG wth the NIM resources (you don't have them in rootvg, do you?) and take an mksysb image from the system before the update, but i suppose you know that yourself.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Problem with migrating from AIX 5.1 to 5.3

I'am migrating from AIX 5.1 to 5.3 during migration installation a receive message enough space for dir /usr. My question is : how i can resolve this problem ? i can't reboot my server i hope that there is a command to obtain a spece without go out from installation procedure pannel... I'am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
0 Replies

2. AIX

NIM server setup (AIX 5.3)

Hi, I'a a new member here. My company just bought p570 with 8 LPAR (previously we have p650 with 4 LPAR). Did anyone have procedure how to setup NIM server (NIM LPAR) and how to install other new LPAR to use the NIM server (as client). Appreciate your help and thank you very much. Rgds, David (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshg
0 Replies

3. AIX

migrate NIM server through NIM installation

I try to migrate a NIM server from one server to another. I try to do a mksysb on NIM server restore the NIM server's mksysb to a client through NIM installation shutdown NIM server start newly installed client as NIM server Does anyone do this before? who can give me some suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanzhang
1 Replies

4. AIX

Migrating AIX users to Linux

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there knew if it was possible to migrate users from AIX to Linux. What we want to do is install OpenLDAP on a Linux machine and port all the users over to LDAP. I've googled around and could only find a few things, such as mrgpwd - but that only comes... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: djcronos
0 Replies

5. AIX

migrating easytrieve from Z/OS to AIX platform

Hi, my requirement is to migrate easytrieve running on Z/OS to AIX platform. can anyone let me know what changes should be made if we do such a migration. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit510
0 Replies

6. AIX

How will do migration through NIM server in AIX

Can any one help..... How will do migration through NIM server? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
4 Replies

7. AIX

NIM thread error in AIX 5.3 server !

Friends , In our production server , we are using oracle10g in IBM AIX 5.3 unix server. From last 7 days , I got the below error : ------------------------------ LABEL: TS_NIM_ERROR_STUCK_ IDENTIFIER: 864D2CE3 Date/Time: Mon Sep 7 19:34:38 NOVST 2009 Sequence Number:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

8. AIX

Nim on AIX 7.1 used to migrate AIX 5.3 to AIX 6.1...is possible?

Using nimadm: nimadm -j nimadmvg -c sap024 -s spot_6100 -l lpp_6100 -d "hdisk1" -Y Initializing the NIM master. Initializing NIM client sap024. 0505-205 nimadm: The level of bos.alt_disk_install.rte installed in SPOT spot_6100 (6.1.3.4) does not match the NIM master's level (7.1.1.2).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sciacca75
2 Replies

9. AIX

Upgrading to AIX 7 vs migrating

Hi all, I have this weird notion that upgrading the TL does not cause the machine to wipe, but upgrading a major version (from aix 6 to 7) means it's actually a fresh install and will wipe the date and i have to install the software again (TSM server, for instance). Trying to google it, i came... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tde3000
3 Replies

10. AIX

Migrating NFSv3 to NFSv4 in AIX

Hello, I worked on setting up NFSv3 and NFSv4 (novice) shares separately. I was trying to find a way to migrate existing NFSv3 fileshares to NFSv4 as is. I found a redbook online called "Securing NFS in AIX". It has good info. I am able to create a new NFSv4 share, do not know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
4 Replies
Net::Server::MultiType(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Net::Server::MultiType(3)

NAME
Net::Server::MultiType - Net::Server personality SYNOPSIS
use base qw(Net::Server::MultiType); sub process_request { #...code... } my @types = qw(PreFork Fork Single); Net::Server::MultiType->run(server_type => @types); DESCRIPTION
Please read the pod on Net::Server first. This module is a personality, or extension, or sub class, of the Net::Server module. This personality is intended to allow for easy use of multiple Net::Server personalities. Given a list of server types, Net::Server::MultiType will require one at a time until it finds one that is installed on the system. It then adds that package to its @ISA, thus inheriting the methods of that personality. ARGUMENTS
In addition to the command line arguments of the Net::Server base class, Net::Server::MultiType contains one other configurable parameter. Key Value Default server_type 'server_type' 'Single' server_type May be called many times to build up an array or possible server_types. At execution, Net::Server::MultiType will find the first available one and then inherit the methods of that personality CONFIGURATION FILE
"Net::Server::MultiType" allows for the use of a configuration file to read in server parameters. The format of this conf file is simple key value pairs. Comments and white space are ignored. #-------------- file test.conf -------------- ### multi type info ### try PreFork first, then go to Single server_type PreFork server_type Single ### server information min_servers 20 max_servers 80 spare_servers 10 max_requests 1000 ### user and group to become user somebody group everybody ### logging ? log_file /var/log/server.log log_level 3 pid_file /tmp/server.pid ### access control allow .+.(net|com) allow domain.com deny a.+ ### background the process? background 1 ### ports to bind host 127.0.0.1 port localhost:20204 port 20205 ### reverse lookups ? # reverse_lookups on #-------------- file test.conf -------------- PROCESS FLOW
See Net::Server HOOKS
There are no additional hooks in Net::Server::MultiType. TO DO
See Net::Server AUTHOR
Paul T. Seamons paul@seamons.com SEE ALSO
Please see also Net::Server::Fork, Net::Server::INET, Net::Server::PreFork, Net::Server::MultiType, Net::Server::Single perl v5.18.2 2012-06-05 Net::Server::MultiType(3)