Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting command to check whether the remote host is up or not Post 302424157 by alister on Monday 24th of May 2010 10:49:04 AM
Old 05-24-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumarmc
Hi,

My script needs to check whether the remote host is up or not.

If it is up i need to start few servers in that host or else just a notification should be sent that the remote host is down?
Why not just go ahead and run the server starting code, without any separate host check? If the host is down, presumably the code (ssh?) will fail and you can send a notification then. You should be handling the failure anyway, since it's possible for the host to go down immediately after a successful check but prior to the execution of the server starting code.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash Script to check Remote Host Connection

Hi all, Can anyone tell/guide me how to check remote host is up/running using bash script? Thanks. Zulfiqar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulfikarmd
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check ssh connection to remote host

I am using KSH and I need to check whether the remote host has been configured with ssh public key. Is there any way we can check inside a script? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenbvarrier
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh to remote host and execute command

Hi, could anyone please tell me how to ssh to remote host foo and execute command on it and print the result on local host? Thanks, Paresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: masaniparesh
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! How to find the local host after few ssh hops to remote host???

I do a ssh to remote host(A1) from local host(L1). I then ssh to another remote(A2) from A1. When I do a who -m from A2, I see the "connected from" as "A1". => who -m userid pts/2 2010-03-27 08:47 (A1) I want to identify who is the local host who initiated the connection to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check port 2222 is open on a remote host

I am able to connect to a remote host using the legacy IP and port 2222. Today the remote has a new IP I am unable to connect. How to check if the remote host is blocking or if its my server is unable to connect. Err Msg : telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused Err... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITDev01
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause processes in remote host and resume execution in another remote host

Hi, Given addresses of 2 remote machines, using a shell script is it possible to get the state of running processes in "src" stop all the processes in "src" exit out of "src" ssh into "dest" resume the state of executing processes captured in step 1 in "dest" Assumption: "src" is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saeya Darsan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute command on remote host via ssh

How should i make the following code working #!/bin/bash INPUTFILE="test.txt" while read STRING; do IP=`host -t A $STRING | awk '{print $NF}'` HOSTNAME=`ssh -oPasswordAuthentication=no -oStrictHostKeyChecking=no $IP "hostname"` echo $HOSTNAME > out.txt done < $INPUTFILE At this moment while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script

Geeks, Could you please help me out in my script and identify the missing piece. I need to check/get the exit status of a remote command executed on remote host through script and send out an email when process/processes is/are not running on any/all server(s). Here's the complete... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run awk command on remote host

I have below command to check for error logs from last 24 hours from the file : /var/log/messages/ The command is working fine on the local host. sudo awk -F - -vDT="$(date --date="24 hours ago" "+%b %_d %H:%M:%S")" ' DT < $1' /var/log/messages | egrep -i "error|fail" I want to run the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SFTP file check through a remote host

Hi all, posting my first time, hope not breaking posting rules with it, if yes, let me know. I'm trying to build a script to check a file in an sftp server through a remote server. The intention is to check the file in a sftp host, and if the file is found or not, it should send an email.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrShinyPants
4 Replies
XRLOGIN(1)						      General Commands Manual							XRLOGIN(1)

NAME
xrlogin - start an xterm that uses ssh (or optionally rlogin or telnet) to connect to a remote host SYNOPSIS
xrlogin [-l username] [-rlogin|-telnet] [xterm options] remote-host DESCRIPTION
Xrlogin opens an xterm window and runs ssh, rlogin or telnet to login to a remote host. Xrlogin automatically passes the -name argument to xterm with a value of "xterm-hostname" where hostname is the name of the remote host. This allows the user to specify resources in their server's resource manager which are specific to xterms from a given host. For example, this feature can be used to make all xterm windows to a given remote host be the same color or use a specific font or start up in a spe- cific place on the screen. Xrsh(1) passes the same string so they are compatible in this regard. Xrlogin specifies that the default title for the new xterm will be "hostname" where hostname is the name of the remote host. This and the -name argument above can be overridden with xterm-options on the command line. One could also use xrlogin's sister command xrsh(1) to open a window to a remote host. In the case of xrsh, the xterm would run on the remote host and use X as the connection protocol while xrlogin would run the xterm on the local host and use rlogin or telnet as the con- nection protocol. See xrsh(1) for a discussion of the merits of each scheme. OPTIONS
-l username When not using -telnet, use username as the id to login to the remote host. -rlogin Use the rlogin protocol to open the connection. In general rlogin is preferred because it can be configured to not prompt the user for a password. Rlogin also automatically propagates window size change signals (SIGWINCH) to the remote host so that applications running there will learn of a new window size. -telnet Use the -telnet protocol to open the connection. Use of telnet provided mostly for hosts that don't support rlogin. COMMON PROBLEMS
Make sure that the local host is specified in the .rhosts file on the remote host or in the remote hosts /etc/hosts.equiv file. See rlogin(1) for more information. EXAMPLES
xrlogin -bg red yoda Start a local red xterm which connects to the remote host yoda using rlogin. xrlogin -telnet c70 Open a local xterm which connects to the remote host c70 using telnet. SEE ALSO
xrsh(1), rlogin(1), telnet(1) AUTHOR
James J. Dempsey <jjd@jjd.com> and Stephen Gildea <gildea@intouchsys.com>. X Version 11 Release 6 XRLOGIN(1)