Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check diff between two files Post 302424072 by nehashine on Monday 24th of May 2010 06:20:36 AM
Old 05-24-2010
How to check diff between two files

File 1 contains:
RECT 0 0 98 90
RECT 0 0 100 101

File 2 contains:
RECT 0 0 98.0 90.0
RECT 0 0 100 101

If I do, sdiff -s <file1> <file2>, it shows difference of first line.

But as the first line is algebrically equal, i want a command which shows no difference. i.e. it gives no difference when the numeral values are algebrically same.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates from multuple files with 2 diff types of files

I need to compare 2 diff type of files and find out the duplicate after comparing each types of files: Type 1 file name is like: file1.abc (the extension abc could any 3 characters but I can narrow it down or hardcode for 10/15 combinations). The other file is file1.bcd01abc (the extension... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky007
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using diff on files in different directories

Hi, I want to be able to compare two different files in two different directories. I have a development server set up on one domain and a live server set up on another.....I need to be able to compare files on these two servers. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elduderino
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff b/w 2 files

Hi Masters, I have two files named file1 and file2. Both the files contains the same contents with some difference in comments,space.But no content change. I tried to find the diff between the two files to make sure that contents are same. For that i tried diff -ibw file1 file2 But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ecearund
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff of files

Hi, I have 2 files.I want to check if file1 is contained in file2. A.txt: ----- AAA BBB B.txt: ------ CCC AAA BBB DDD I want to check if A.txt is contained in B.txt. Can it be done using SED ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff bw two files

Hi All, I have two files which look as below File1 serial="1" name="abc" type="employee" field="IT" serial="2" name="cde" type="intern" field="Marketing" serial="3" name="pqr" type="contractor" field="IT" serial="4" name="xyz" type="employee" field="Sales" File2 serial="1"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

.procmailrc and uudeview (put attachments from diff senders to diff folders)

Moderator, please, delete this topic (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optik77
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff on 1gb files

Hey Guys, I have a scenario to compare two different files which are of size 1gb each. I need to get the uncommon lines. I planned to use sdiff command, which generally works perfect for me. But in this case am facing a error saying "diff: memory exhausted" Can anyone please explain this.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diff for multiple files

Hello, I am trying to compare the contents of 4 directories using diff, where I want files that are present in dir1 but not in dir2, dir3 or dir4 I know this command can only compare 2 files, but I was hoping to find a way to get around this. I have this thought on my mind diff -q dir1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Error404
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 3 files, but diff only their 2nd column

Guys i have 3 files, but i want to compare and diff only the 2nd column path=`/home/whois/doms` for i in `cat domain.tx` do whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Registrant ID:/,/Registrant Email:/p' > $path/$i.registrant whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Admin ID:/,/Admin Email:/p' > $path/$i.admin... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies
symlink(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						symlink(3)

NAME
PerlIO::via::symlink - PerlIO layers for create symlinks SYNOPSIS
open $fh, '>:via(symlink)', $fname; print $fh "link foobar"; close $fh; DESCRIPTION
The PerlIO layer "symlink" allows you to create a symbolic link by writing to the file handle. You need to write C"link $name" to the file handle. If the format does not match, "close" will fail with EINVAL. TEST COVERAGE
----------------------------------- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ File stmt branch cond sub time total ----------------------------------- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ blib/lib/PerlIO/via/symlink.pm 100.0 100.0 n/a 100.0 100.0 100.0 Total 100.0 100.0 n/a 100.0 100.0 100.0 ----------------------------------- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ AUTHORS
Chia-liang Kao <clkao@clkao.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004-2005 by Chia-liang Kao <clkao@clkao.org>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See <http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html> perl v5.18.2 2005-03-01 symlink(3)