Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing File Entries With sed Post 302424022 by jamba1 on Monday 24th of May 2010 03:49:43 AM
Old 05-24-2010
Removing File Entries With sed

Hi

When running the following sed command from the command line I am able to
remove all entries with #username from the file and redirect to another file.

Code:
sed -e 's/#.*//' -e '/^$/d' namesonly > tt

Code:
mv tt > namesonly

When I use the same command in the following script I end up with the original
entries in the namesonly file. ie nothing has been removed.

Code:

echo "" > f-output.log

USERS=$(awk -F: '{print $1}' allusers)
for U in $USERS

do

finger ${U} >> f-output.log

awk '/^Logi/ {a=$3} /^Last log/ {print a, $6}' f-output.log > lastlogin

grep -v "2009" lastlogin > lastlogin_1 ; grep -v ":" lastlogin_1 | sort | uniq > newlog_1

cut -d' ' -f1 newlog_1 > namesonly

sed -e 's/#.*//' -e '/^$/d' namesonly > tt ; mv tt namesonly

done

Is there an error with this command or something else causing the problem?

Any help appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns with sed

How do we delete all carriage returns after a particular string using sed inside a K Shell? e.g. I have a text file named file1 below: $ more file1 Group#=1 User=A Role=a1 Group#=2 User=B Role=a1 Role=b1 Group#=3 User=C Role=b1 I want the carriage returns to be delete on the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing '." character using SED

HI All, Have some files which contains some string like, "create .<table1> as" "insert into .<table2> values", i want to replace ".<table1>" with only "<table1>", i.e removing '.' character in ksh, i have written below code but it is not removing the dot character, any help? for name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindcgi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines with sed

Here is some code output that I have: architecture ppc cputype CPU_TYPE_POWERPC cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_POWERPC_ALL offset 4096 size 184464 align 2^12 (4096) architecture ppc64 cputype CPU_TYPE_POWERPC64 cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_POWERPC_ALL offset 192512 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a character using sed

Hi, I have a file with the text below. How do i remove the character "%" from the text file using sed ? Can anybody help ? 0% 68% 72% 0% 54% 33% 75% 24% 6% 59% 77% 77% 33% (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need advice! Removing multiple entries in a single file!

Hello, I have a file Test.txt with 9 columns that looks like this: 1g12 A 14 19 2OAY A 326 331 AAAASA 1l7v A 68 73 1l7v A 68 73 AALAIS 1l7v A 68 73 1XVW B 72 77 AALAIS 1l7v A 68 73 1XXU A 65 70 AALAIS 1l7v A 68 73 1XXU B 65 70 AALAIS 1l7v A 68 73 1XXU C 65 70 AALAIS 1l7v A 68 73 1XXU D... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED removing CR/LF

I have a source text file that contains something like this: <start_template> bool function( void *<var_name> ) { // Blah Blah } </start_template> Following is used to remove this template from source file. template=$(sed -n -e '/<start_template>/,/<\/start_template>/{... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gee22
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing values

Is there an easy way in sed to remove a character and values after that character? ex: blackout_10-11-2011(NODE_LEVEL) I want to remove '(' and everything after. so I will only have. blackout_10-11-2011 I can use a cut command to do this but interested in seeing how its done... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem removing $ using sed in script

I am trying to use the sed command to remove any character that is passed as a parameter to the script. I may want to replace any character in the file (-, =, $, space). I'm running into an issue when passing the $. This is a typical row in the file. "000000B553","--INTERNAL USE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadneb
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing quotes in sed

I have a file and I want to remove quotes from the word " ` " through sed command but unable to remove I am using below command sed s/"`XYZ`"/"ZXY"/g file1.txt > file2.txt But this is not working. How can we remove "`" through sed command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing unwanted symbols with sed

I would like produce blue, green, red, yellowfrom"blue:,*green:,*red:,*yellowI can remove the colon with echo "blue:,*green:,*red:,*yellow" | sed 's/://g'which givesblue,*green,*red,*yellowbut when I try echo "blue:,*green:,*red:,*yellow" | sed 's/://g'; 's/*//g'I get bash: s/*//g: No such... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
9 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)