Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To Find the largest file in the given directory. Post 302423891 by KuldeepSinghTCS on Sunday 23rd of May 2010 05:59:54 AM
Old 05-23-2010
Code:
<esb><***-app-***-03> /export/home/esb/temp # ls -S|head -1
ls: illegal option -- S
usage: ls -1RaAdCxmnlhogrtuvVcpFbqisfHLeE@ [files]

It is not working Smilie

---------- Post updated at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:16 PM ----------

Hii kkl,

I am using find command to get large files whenever the disc space spikes.

Code:
find * -size +100000  # for 100 MB files.
#you can use these too
du -k * | sort -n | tail -10
du -ka | sort -nrk1 | tail -10

Last edited by Scott; 05-23-2010 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: Code tags please...
This User Gave Thanks to KuldeepSinghTCS For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Finding largest file in current directory?

I was hoping to get some assistance with this C program I am working on. The goal is to find the largest file in the current directory and then display this filename along with the filesize. What I have so far will display all the files in the current directory. But, how do I deal with "grabbing"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AusTex
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

largest size directory in unix

I want to find the which directory under a directory occupy the maximum size is there is any command to find please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
5 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

find the 5o largest files in a directory

I'm trying to find the 50 largest file in a directory named /sasdb and its' subdirectories. I'm using the find command and a pipe to awk Not sure if I'm actually getting the largest files from this directory and its subdirectories. Here is the code I used... find /sasdb -ls | awk '{print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find largest file

Hi, 1)I have XX directory and have lot of files ,I want to find largest file in that directory 2)how calculate the size of file in MB. Thanks, Mohan (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
15 Replies

5. HP-UX

find the largest file in whole system

find the largest file in whole system (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and display largest file on system

What is the correct command for finding and displaying the largest file on the system? I don't know how to specify "largest" with "find", and pipe that to something that will display the file contents. Or should I be using cat, more, less, ls, or something else? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the list of 5 largest file in current directory?

Hello, How to find the list of 5 largest(size wise) file in current directory?i tried using ls -l | sort -t " " -r +5 -6 -n | head -5 but this is not giving correct output as ls -l command gives 1 extra line of output that is how many total files are there!so by running the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find largest files

Hello, i am on linux 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp , and i would be very greatfull if someone could help to find the largest files on that server. I know i can find files with find command or list them with ls , but is there a way that i could list let's say 10 biggest files on server ? :o (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best way to find largest files in a directory

What is the best way to find the largest files in a directory? I used du -k|sort -rn |less. I got a results for this. But if I used the following command , I got another result...a different order in the same directory. Why is that? ls -la |awk '{print $5," ",$9}' sort -rn|less. I saw that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find largest file.

Hi All, Is there a direct Linux command to find the largest file by checking recursively in all the directories. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
3 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. Any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. A versioned Pre-Dependency on dpkg is needed to use dpkg-maintscript-helper(1). An appropriate Pre-Dependency is set in ${misc:Pre-Depends} ; you should make sure to put that token into an appropriate place in your debian/control file. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)