Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications How to redirect grep command output to same file Post 302423811 by Scott on Saturday 22nd of May 2010 02:11:22 PM
Old 05-22-2010
Hi.

With grep, you can't.

This (very recent - and spookily similar) thread might help: Redirect overwrites itself

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect the grep output into the variable

i want to redirect the grep output into the variable but i am not able to get it i tried veri=`grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1` vari=$(grep -i $1 "${logdir}"* | grep -i adding | grep -iv equation | tail -1 | cut -d ':' -f 1) BUT NOT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect grep output into file !!!!!

Hi, I am writing the following code in command prompt it is working fine. grep ',222,' SAPPCO_20080306.CSV_old > SAPPCO_20080306.CSV_new But the command is not working in the Shell Script... ########################################## #!/bin/sh #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanu_oracle
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect grep output to dynamique fileName and subdirectory

Hi all i'm new in KSH, i want to write a script to grep a logs files and redirecting the result into a relative subdirectory/file.txt that must be created near to each log file my begin script is : find ./logs -type f -name "*.log" -exec grep error {} \; how i can perform that modest... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambler
10 Replies

5. AIX

Unable to get the full content into a file when I redirect installp command output..

When i use the command to check the preview of the filesets to be installed using CLI # When using this commad 'm able to see all Preview view of the filesets to be installed installp -apgX -d "." all # When I redirected the same output to a file 'm able to see only half the details... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sounddappan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the output of a cvs command to a file as well as the console.

Hi can anyone tell me how to redirect the ouput of a cvs command to a file as well as the console? i tried using cvs add <filename> | tee logFile cvs add <filename> 2>logFile 2>&1 All i could get is only on console or on file. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitag2010
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect time command output to file (cygwin bash)

I have set up a bash script to run a long list of things that I need to time. I would like to redirect the output of time to a file. I have set it up like, echo "Runtimes for servlet 4, 100K structures" > test_times.txt echo "" >> test_times.txt echo "runs where N=10" >> test_times.txt echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Redirect the output of telnet command on a terminal to a file ?

(/home/user1)-> more script.sh #!/bin/ksh ( echo open devicename sleep 3; echo user; sleep 2; echo password; sleep 2; echo "/info/dump"; ---------> This needs to redirect to a file .Can be number of pages sleep 2; echo "exit" ) | telnet Please use code tags next time for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: necro98
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to file after grep

i have simple program that generate log file 1 line every sec, i need to do grep for specific record then redirect to another file. #!/bin/bash for i in `seq 1 20`; do echo $i sleep 1 done ./test.sh |egrep "5|10|15" 5 10 15 r ./test.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I redirect output from "find", either to a file or another command?

I'm trying to find out what happened to the rogue game that apt-get told me it installed, so I thought I would find the file. I went to the root and entered: find -name "rog*.*" I get a large number of lines saying my access is denied in various directories. I figure I'll practice my Unix... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arghvark
14 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)