Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Challenging Awk array problem Post 302423713 by alister on Friday 21st of May 2010 09:14:01 PM
Old 05-21-2010
Assuming that the nth line in file1 corresponds to the nth line in file2:
Code:
paste -d\\n file1 file2 |
awk '{
    chr=$6; min=$7; max=$8; s=$11" "$12" "$13;
    getline;
    if (chr==$4 && $5>=min && $5<=max)
        print $0, s;
}'

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Challenging Situation : i hope the moderators will respond to this problem..

I have the following situation : i have 4 Unix Sco servers, one Windows 2000 server, and an ADSL internet connection. All the servers, that is the 4 unix and the windows server have real static IPs supplied by my ISP. the servers are connected to a Switch , the switch is connected to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

2. Programming

A challenging problem involving symbolic links.

Hello, I'm working on an application that bridges together several applications involved in creating a video workflow for editing with digital cinema cameras. The main platform is MacOSX. Because of the nature of some of the utilities for working with this video footage I must spoof filenames... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibloom
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Challenging Problem. Please read fully.

Hi, This is the Third thread i'm putting here for the same problem. :( Actually, i'm trying a script like this.. but its taking a long time.. about 3 days to complete fully.. #!/bin/ksh if then exit 1 fi while read i do while read j do field7=`echo $j|cut -d "|"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RRVARMA
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk array problem

hi i am trying to perform some calculations with awk and arrays. i have this so far: awk 'NR==FNR{ for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) {array+=$i} tot++;next} {for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) {avg=array/tot} {diff=(array - avg)}} {for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) {printf("%5.8f\n",diff)}}' "$count".txt "$count".ttt >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with lookup values on AWK associative array

I'm at wits end with this issue and my troubleshooting leads me to believe it is a problem with the file formatting of the array referenced by my script: awk -F, '{if (NR==FNR) {a=$4","$3","$2}\ else {print a "," $0}}' WBTSassignments1.txt RNCalarms.tmp On the WBTSassignments1.txt file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonHamm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Array problem

Dear All, I am facing problem to get right output through awk program I have file in which “B” value is appearing multiple time and I need to capture all these values. My script is BEGIN { FS=" " } { if ( substr($1,1,5) == "START" ) { i =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk array problem

Hi, Im trying to count bats flying through an infrared beam array. One of the experts here helped me a few months ago but now I am having a problem that is stumping me. here is the original code that works (with two differnt patterns in array): # this has been changed to operate under the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmp260
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk array problem

I am trying to map values in the input file, where 2nd column depends on the specific value in the 1st column. When 1st column is A place 1 into 2nd column, when it is B, place 2, when C place 3, otherwise no change. My input: U |100|MAIN ST |CLMN1|1 A |200|GREEN LN |CLMN2|2 1 |12... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk array when loading from shell variable

Hi, I have a problem with awk array when iam trying to use awk in solaris box as below..Iam unable to figure out the problem.. Need your help. is there any alternative to make it in arrays from variable values nawk 'BEGIN {SUBSEP=" "; split("101880|110045 101887|110045 101896|110045... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Index problem in associate array in awk

I am trying to reformat the table by filling any missing rows. The final table will have consecutive IDs in the first column. My problem is the index of the associate array in the awk script. infile: S01 36407 53706 88540 S02 69343 87098 87316 S03 50133 59721 107923... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
LAM(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    LAM(1)

NAME
lam -- laminate files SYNOPSIS
lam [-f min.max] [-p min.max] [-s sepstring] [-t c] file ... DESCRIPTION
lam copies the named files side by side onto the standard output. The n-th input lines from the input files are considered fragments of the single long n-th output line into which they are assembled. The name ``-'' means the standard input, and may be repeated. Normally, each option affects only the file after it. If the option letter is capitalized it affects all subsequent files until it appears again uncapitalized. The options are described below. -f min.max Print line fragments according to the format string min.max, where min is the minimum field width and max the maximum field width. If min begins with a zero, zeros will be added to make up the field width, and if it begins with a '-', the fragment will be left-adjusted within the field. -p min.max Like -f, but pad this file's field when end-of-file is reached and other files are still active. -s sepstring Print sepstring before printing line fragments from the next file. This option may appear after the last file. -t c The input line terminator is c instead of a newline. The newline normally appended to each output line is omitted. To print files simultaneously for easy viewing use pr(1). EXAMPLES
The command lam file1 file2 file3 file4 joins 4 files together along each line. To merge the lines from four different files use lam file1 -S " " file2 file3 file4 Every 2 lines of a file may be joined on one line with lam - - < file and a form letter with substitutions keyed by '@' can be done with lam -t @ letter changes SEE ALSO
join(1), pr(1), printf(3) BSD
December 1, 2001 BSD