Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Challenging Awk array problem Post 302423712 by curleb on Friday 21st of May 2010 09:02:47 PM
Old 05-21-2010
cracks me up when folks in the UK say: "Duh!"

Quick question for the OP...are the files sorted and the records are guaranteed in the same order? Otherwise, what's the key to tie the records? I ask since your initial evaluation seems to focus on flags like chr1...
This User Gave Thanks to curleb For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A Challenging Situation : i hope the moderators will respond to this problem..

I have the following situation : i have 4 Unix Sco servers, one Windows 2000 server, and an ADSL internet connection. All the servers, that is the 4 unix and the windows server have real static IPs supplied by my ISP. the servers are connected to a Switch , the switch is connected to an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
2 Replies

2. Programming

A challenging problem involving symbolic links.

Hello, I'm working on an application that bridges together several applications involved in creating a video workflow for editing with digital cinema cameras. The main platform is MacOSX. Because of the nature of some of the utilities for working with this video footage I must spoof filenames... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibloom
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Challenging Problem. Please read fully.

Hi, This is the Third thread i'm putting here for the same problem. :( Actually, i'm trying a script like this.. but its taking a long time.. about 3 days to complete fully.. #!/bin/ksh if then exit 1 fi while read i do while read j do field7=`echo $j|cut -d "|"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RRVARMA
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk array problem

hi i am trying to perform some calculations with awk and arrays. i have this so far: awk 'NR==FNR{ for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) {array+=$i} tot++;next} {for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) {avg=array/tot} {diff=(array - avg)}} {for(i=1; i<=NF; i++) {printf("%5.8f\n",diff)}}' "$count".txt "$count".ttt >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with lookup values on AWK associative array

I'm at wits end with this issue and my troubleshooting leads me to believe it is a problem with the file formatting of the array referenced by my script: awk -F, '{if (NR==FNR) {a=$4","$3","$2}\ else {print a "," $0}}' WBTSassignments1.txt RNCalarms.tmp On the WBTSassignments1.txt file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JasonHamm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Array problem

Dear All, I am facing problem to get right output through awk program I have file in which “B” value is appearing multiple time and I need to capture all these values. My script is BEGIN { FS=" " } { if ( substr($1,1,5) == "START" ) { i =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk array problem

Hi, Im trying to count bats flying through an infrared beam array. One of the experts here helped me a few months ago but now I am having a problem that is stumping me. here is the original code that works (with two differnt patterns in array): # this has been changed to operate under the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmp260
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk array problem

I am trying to map values in the input file, where 2nd column depends on the specific value in the 1st column. When 1st column is A place 1 into 2nd column, when it is B, place 2, when C place 3, otherwise no change. My input: U |100|MAIN ST |CLMN1|1 A |200|GREEN LN |CLMN2|2 1 |12... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk array when loading from shell variable

Hi, I have a problem with awk array when iam trying to use awk in solaris box as below..Iam unable to figure out the problem.. Need your help. is there any alternative to make it in arrays from variable values nawk 'BEGIN {SUBSEP=" "; split("101880|110045 101887|110045 101896|110045... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Index problem in associate array in awk

I am trying to reformat the table by filling any missing rows. The final table will have consecutive IDs in the first column. My problem is the index of the associate array in the awk script. infile: S01 36407 53706 88540 S02 69343 87098 87316 S03 50133 59721 107923... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
sortbib(1)							   User Commands							sortbib(1)

NAME
sortbib - sort a bibliographic database SYNOPSIS
sortbib [-s KEYS] database... DESCRIPTION
sortbib sorts files of records containing refer key-letters by user-specified keys. Records may be separated by blank lines, or by `.[' and `.]' delimiters, but the two styles may not be mixed together. This program reads through each database and pulls out key fields, which are sorted separately. The sorted key fields contain the file pointer, byte offset, and length of corresponding records. These records are delivered using disk seeks and reads, so sortbib may not be used in a pipeline to read standard input. The most common key-letters and their meanings are given below. %A Author's name %B Book containing article referenced %C City (place of publication) %D Date of publication %E Editor of book containing article referenced %F Footnote number or label (supplied by refer) %G Government order number %H Header commentary, printed before reference %I Issuer (publisher) %J Journal containing article %K Keywords to use in locating reference %L Label field used by -k option of refer %M Bell Labs Memorandum (undefined) %N Number within volume %O Other commentary, printed at end of reference %P Page number(s) %Q Corporate or Foreign Author (unreversed) %R Report, paper, or thesis (unpublished) %S Series title %T Title of article or book %V Volume number %X Abstract -- used by roffbib, not by refer %Y,Z Ignored by refer By default, sortbib alphabetizes by the first %A and the %D fields, which contain the senior author and date. sortbib sorts on the last word on the %A line, which is assumed to be the author's last name. A word in the final position, such as `jr.' or `ed.', will be ignored if the name beforehand ends with a comma. Authors with two-word last names or unusual constructions can be sorted correctly by using the nroff convention `' in place of a blank. A %Q field is considered to be the same as %A, except sorting begins with the first, not the last, word. sortbib sorts on the last word of the %D line, usually the year. It also ignores leading articles (like `A' or `The') when sorting by titles in the %T or %J fields; it will ignore articles of any modern European language. If a sort-significant field is absent from a record, sortbib places that record before other records containing that field. No more than 16 databases may be sorted together at one time. Records longer than 4096 characters will be truncated. OPTIONS
-sKEYS Specify new KEYS. For instance, -sATD will sort by author, title, and date, while -sA+D will sort by all authors, and date. Sort keys past the fourth are not meaningful. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbib(1), indxbib(1), lookbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), attributes(5) BUGS
Records with missing author fields should probably be sorted by title. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 sortbib(1)