Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Define Aliases to tail many logs Post 302423648 by curleb on Friday 21st of May 2010 02:57:42 PM
Old 05-21-2010
doesn't tail -f require a console...? Not sure if it can be relied upon without an interactive window...

Meanwhile, methyl's suggestion is entirely valid, but before giving up entirely on the multi-pronged effort...you might want to note the syntax errors on the alias suggestions given above and correct these to csh syntax:
Code:
% alias my_date="date +%d%m%Y_%H%M;"

% echo $my_date
my_date: Undefined variable

% set my_date="date +%d%m%Y_%H%M;"

% alias spc1 'echo $my_date '             

% spc1
date +%d%m%Y_%H%M;

% set my_date `date +%d%m%Y_%H%M;`
set: Syntax error

% set my_date=`date +%d%m%Y_%H%M;`

% alias spc1 'echo $my_date '

% spc1
21052010_1439

% touch /tmp/$my_date.log

% ls -lgo /tmp/2*.log
-rw-rw----   1       0 May 21 14:47 /tmp/21052010_1439.log

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

aliases

Hi. I have a C program that is using the **environ pointer and I am trying to set up aliases for a system("/bin/ksh") call. This works for other environment variables but not for the aliases. Does anyone know if this can be done? Thanks ahead of time. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mluey61
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

aliases

Is there a way to view what aliases are running on a given session? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

/etc/mail/aliases

HI I have 5000 users on sendmail server, also there entries of these users Mail ID in /etc/mail/aliases as per Diparments. Same Mail ID can occures in Diff Departments as per req. I have to remove 500 users from server also there entry from /etc/mail/aliases file. which occures many times. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kumarsharad
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

man aliases

Can any one show me how to create an alias account that silently copies local emails to the administrator (root) using a linux cmd line or GUI? The answer needs to be very simplly explained at this stage, as I am new to the command prompt...expecialy in linux. thanks heaps guys Pipa:) I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pipa
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

etc aliases

Hello: i have several server with own etc aliases. right now i want to combine it all into a general etc aliases in a new freebsd server. cause it consist hundred thousand of record user inside how to make a shell script to combine it or configure it. all etc aliases record example: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterLfs
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep yesterday logs from weblogic logs

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would go search and get the info from the logs based on yesterday timestamp and write yesterday logs in new file. The log file format is as follows: """"""""""""""""""""""""""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish.parker
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

[Solved] Aliases in HP-UX

Hi folks, How can I make an alias in HP-UX? I've tried to add something just like this bye='exit' (as example), the system accepted but when I write bye in the terminal its return with invalid command. When I make such alias in RedHat or Fedora the system accept it right there, what is the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo_ultra_leo
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unsetting aliases

Within a session we have created some aliases. How to unset all the aliases in the session or specific alias? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
VUSB-ANALYZER(1)					       Virtual USB Analyzer						  VUSB-ANALYZER(1)

NAME
vusb-analyzer - tool for visualizing logs of USB packets SYNOPSIS
vusb-analyzer [OPTIONS] LOGFILE [LOGFILE...] DESCRIPTION
The Virtual USB Analyzer is tool for visualizing logs of USB packets, from hardware or software USB sniffer tools. It's the world's first tool to provide a graphical visualization along with raw hex dumps and high-level protocol analysis. The Virtual USB Analyzer is not itself a USB sniffer tool. It is just a user interface for visualizing logs. It currently supports two log formats, but it's designed to be easily extensible. With a couple hundred lines of Python code, you can add support for your favorite log format. The Virtual USB Analyzer was developed at VMware as an efficient way to debug their own USB virtualization stack. They wanted a tool that made it easy to see problems at a glance, and they wanted a way to solve both correctness and performance bugs. As a result, they ended up with what they think is a fairly unique tool. They're excited to have the opportunity to release this tool as open source software. Supported Log Formats * Logged USB traffic from debug builds of VMware Fusion, Workstation, or Player. See the tutorial for information on capturing such a log. * XML logs from the Ellisys USB Explorer 200, a hardware USB 2.0 analyzer. Features * Unique graphical timeline view. * Side-by-side diff mode: visually compare two log files. * Pluggable log format modules: VMware, Ellisys. * Pluggable protocol decoders: USB Chapter 9, Bluetooth, Storage, Cypress FX2. * Packet metrics and filtering tools. * Whole-bus analysis: analyze multiple devices concurrently. * Written in Python, with a GTK+ user interface. * Automatic "tail -f" mode: follow log files as they grow. * Loads large log files in the background. You can start browsing before the whole file is loaded into memory. * Automatic decompression of gzipped log files. OPTIONS
-t Tail mode, start from the end of a growing log file. HOMEPAGE
More information about vusb-analyzer, including a tutorial and sample logs, can be found at <http://vusb-analyzer.sourceforge.net/>. AUTHOR
vusb-analyzer Micah Dowty <micah@vmware.com>. This manual page was written by Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). 1.0 2009-05-17 VUSB-ANALYZER(1)