Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A very simple script, but alias won't work Post 302423613 by sssccc on Friday 21st of May 2010 12:21:59 PM
Old 05-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by curleb
Permissions typically cascade along the path, so be sure that your UID has access to execute along the entire path to your script.

Otherwise, if your script is exclusively to set the named alias...just add this to your . file and have it set on login.

csh...bad! Smilie

Code:
ls -ld .

I don't have problem executing other scripts. Only the alias command is not working.

Setting it on login kinda defeats the purpose. This is a script that I want to run on the fly passing a parameter to the script and might run it several times during a session with different parameters. For example, I would like to eventually modify the alias command to some thing like this:

alias ss "vi $1.log"
alias tt "vi $1.txt"
alias kk "vi $1.ksh"

and run the script just by typing al myfile to set the 3 aliases as above pointing to myfile.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why won't this Work?

hey programmers! 1-why won't gcc accept as an argument? i tried the recommendations on the man page of getch(),..etc. nothing worked. 2-why it won't see <iostream> && <fstream> even if i implemented the function as follow std::cout<<"..etc"<<endl; 3-after i type this code in it gives... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbabeli
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple cron job won't work

I have a script in a directory -say users/me/test/ It looks like this: # "bkup" - copies specified files to the user's ~/Backup # directory after checking for name conflicts. a=$(date +%T) cp $1 ~/test/Backup/$1.$a It copies file.txt from current directory and timestamps the name of it of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coregan
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tip: Simple script won't run in cygwin - vim editor involved

I ran into this issue and thanks to various postings in various forums, was able to figure out the solution but didn't see one posting that laid the whole issue out cleanly. So thought the following might help others ... ------------------------------------------------------------------------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oxysep
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global alias does not work in shell script

Hi Linux Set up - alias ls='ls -l' Then run script #! /bin/ksh sub() { ls } sub Is there any way to get it working. I don't want to define alias inside of the program Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed won't work

Hi All, can anybody tell me what's wrong with this code? # SEARCH replaced by REPLACE #!/bin/bash SEARCH="95$$ 0 t" REPLACE="95$$ 1 t" for I in `ls *000.inp | cut -c-12`; do echo $I sed 's/$SEARCH/$REPLACE/' ${I}-000.inp > ${I}-100.inp done It don't replace the string... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

created a .alias, but they won't take (ksh)

I login with a common username, and have no access to the different login scripts for my personalizations. So for a while, I would hobble on over to a directory I made for myself, and then bring in my alias file where I would fix my backspace, create a few aliases, etc.: $ ./.alias $ Now... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hindesite
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab - wrote Simple Script but i cant work out how to play it at a certain time.

Hi everyone. Silly might be silly be I'm still new to bash. I'm trying to make an Alarm Clock for in the morning using my laptop i have wrote this Simple Script but i cant work out how to play it at a certain time. #!/bin/bash cd /home/josh/Music/Bruno_Mars/Hooligans/ cvlc... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtsmith90
8 Replies

8. BSD

Install cd won't work

Hi! I'm sure that somebody here installed freeBSD from a download of a virtual disc (.iso). But I made 5 downloads of 5 differents freeBSD installation (and no one has worked).Can somebody tell me where to download and how (if needed) to prepare the cd? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxum
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested double quotes won't work in my bash script?

In a bash script I have: LSCMD="find /project/media/ -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -name \"files*pkg\"" ALL_PACKAGES=$( $LSCMD | sort 2>/dev/null) But I get nothing returned. It's just all blank. If I run the find command in a terminal, I get dozens of hits. I figure it's the way how I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superbbrr
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
KITSEND(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   KITSEND(1)

NAME
kitpost - posts distribution kits SYNOPSIS
kitpost [ -hrV ] [ -H file ] [ -D desc ] [ -m dest1,dest2 ] [ kits ] [ newsgroups ] DESCRIPTION
Kitpost posts distribution kits made by makedist to some (source) newsgroups specified on the command line. If you do not specify any kit list, then all the kits are sent. Otherwise, only the specified kits will be (re)sent. A kit list may include ranges, 1-10 specifying kits 1 through 10, and 5- meaning kits 5 up to the last one. You may also specify kit num- bers by separating them with commas or spaces, and even mix with ranges, such as: 1 3 5-7 9. Kitpost ensures correct References: lines are inserted in your postings so that all parts but the first point to the root article. Threaded newsreaders and end-users traditionally appreciate that. OPTIONS
The following options are recognized by kitpost: -h Print help message and exit. -m dest1,destn Sends kits by e-mail to the specified recipients. This option may be used in conjunction with newsgroup posting. It is mainly intended for sites where direct posting to a moderated newsgroup is not allowed by inews. You may thus send your kits to the newsgroup moderator in a form that will ease the whole posting process. -r Signals a repost. -D description Specify a description string that will be added to the subject line. Usually a brief sentence (less than, say, 40 characters). -H file Specify a file to be used as header introduction in the first part of your posting. Usually the root README file. -V Print version number and exit. BUGS
Article cross-referencing is properly set-up only when the whole package is (re)posted in one batch. It is not currently possible to set-up the article headers manually or better, interactively. AUTHOR
Raphael Manfredi <ram@hptnos02.grenoble.hp.com> SEE ALSO
makedist(1), kitsend(1). ram KITSEND(1)