Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: exec command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting exec command Post 302423605 by jlliagre on Friday 21st of May 2010 11:56:26 AM
Old 05-21-2010
The script I posted will definitely send stdout to both the screen and a log file. Did you test it ?
Also, did you evaluate the script command capabilities as Alister suggested ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using the -exec command

linux redhat 8.0 I am getting accustomed to using the -exec command to get around my databse.. and use it to edit and update files..! is this more apllicable than jumping from one directory to the other.. I have set up the databse so that the inode #'s are accessable and can get me from one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec command

hai i want know the difference between two shell scripts those are 1) a=2004 echo $a #output------2004 exec < inputfile while read line do echo $a #output-------2004 a=2005 echo $line echo $a ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_s_r_c
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with -exec cp command.

I have a ksh script that contains the following: find /dir1/dir2 -type f -name "FILE.*" -newer /dir1/dir2/afterme.txt -exec cp /dir1/dir2/dir3 {} \; When I run it from the cli, it runs fine. When I run it from the ksh script I get find: missing argument to `-exec' I also tried -exec cp... (40 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
40 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec command

can any one pls explain the meaning of exec 1<&5 ?? its urgent (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec command help

All, I am using below shell script to output the content to outputfile.txt. What I am looking for is in addition to outputfile.txt, I want the output to be on standard output too. exec > outputfile.txt echo "Starting " echo "ending" (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: basic_shell
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exec command

Hi can some one explain the following command , It would really help if some can really elloborate on what is happening out here export PATH | exec /bin/sh ./auto_approve :q P.S: This is the first time i am using exec ,so an elloboration what does it do and what is the use of the :q will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

exec command help

Hi, I have the following lines in a script : . . exec < some_file . . . I have very little idea about exec command. I would like to know what this does and what will happen if the file some_file does not exist. Specifically, I would like to know whether the lines following this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elixir_sinari
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exec command - what is it doing here?

Hi all, Forgive me for asking for help with my first post, but I am struggling here. I've been asked to translate a bash script into a Windows script (probably batch or powershell, not sure yet), so the first step is obviously understand what the bash script is doing. But I have no experience in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: el_foz
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
Test::Script::Run(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Test::Script::Run(3pm)

NAME
Test::Script::Run - test the script with run SYNOPSIS
use Test::Script::Run; # customized names of bin dirs, default is qw/bin sbin script ./; @Test::Script::Run::BIN_DIRS = qw/bin/; run_ok( 'app_name', [ app's args ], 'you_app runs ok' ); my ( $return, $stdout, $stderr ) = run_script( 'app_name', [ app's args ] ); run_output_matches( 'app_name', [app's args], [ 'out line 1', 'out line 2' ], [ 'err line 1', 'err line 2' ], 'run_output_matches' ); run_output_matches_unordered( 'app_name', [ app's args ], [ 'out line 2', 'out line 1' ], [ 'err line 2', 'err line 1' ], 'run_output_matches_unordered' ); DESCRIPTION
This module exports some subs to help test and run scripts in your dist's bin/ directory, if the script path is not absolute. Nearly all the essential code is stolen from Prophet::Test, we think subs like those should live below "Test::" namespace, that's why we packed them and created this module. FUNCTIONS
run_script($script, $args, $stdout, $stderr) Runs the script $script as a perl script, setting the @INC to the same as our caller. $script is the name of the script to be run (such as 'prophet'). $args is a reference to an array of arguments to pass to the script. $stdout and $stderr are both optional; if passed in, they will be passed to IPC::Run3's run3 subroutineA as its $stdout and $stderr args. Otherwise, this subroutine will create scalar references to pass to run3 instead (which are treated as strings for STDOUT/STDERR to be written to). Returns run3's return value and, if no $stdout and $stderr were passed in, the STDOUT and STDERR of the script that was run. run_ok($script, $args, $msg) Runs the script, checking that it didn't error out. $script is the name of the script to be run (e.g. 'prophet'). $args is an optional reference to an array of arguments to pass to the script when it is run. $msg is an optional message to print with the test. If $args is not specified, you can still pass in a $msg. Returns nothing of interest. run_not_ok($script, $args, $msg) opposite of run_ok get_perl_cmd($script, @ARGS) Returns a list suitable for passing to "system", "exec", etc. If you pass $script then we will search upwards for it in @BIN_DIRS is_script_output($scriptname @args, @stdout_match, @stderr_match, $msg) Runs $scriptname, checking to see that its output matches. $args is an array reference of args to pass to the script. $stdout_match and $stderr_match are references to arrays of expected lines. $msg is a string message to display with the test. $stderr_match and $msg are optional. (As is $stdout_match if for some reason you expect your script to have no output at all. But that would be silly, wouldn't it?) Allows regex matches as well as string equality (lines in $stdout_match and $stderr_match may be Regexp objects). run_output_matches($script, $args, $exp_stdout, $exp_stderr, $msg) A wrapper around is_script_output that also checks to make sure the test runs without throwing an exception. run_output_matches_unordered($script, $args, $exp_stdout, $exp_stderr, $msg) This subroutine has exactly the same functionality as run_output_matches, but doesn't impose a line ordering when comparing the expected and received outputs. last_script_stdout return last script's stdout last_script_stderr return last script's stderr last_script_exit_code return last script's exit code DEPENDENCIES
Test::More, Test::Exception, IPC::Run3, File::Basename, File::Spec BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
No bugs have been reported. AUTHOR
sunnavy "<sunnavy@bestpractical.com>" LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2009 Best Practical Solutions. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2011-01-07 Test::Script::Run(3pm)