Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing options into a script Post 302423186 by bakunin on Thursday 20th of May 2010 10:15:59 AM
Old 05-20-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris01010
Code:
getopts "da:i:m:di:s:mi:" opt

You should probably read the man page of "getopts" more thoroughly. Unix options are considered to be 1-character only ("-da" is considered to be equivalent to "-d -a" and "-a -d") and getopts implicitly adheres to this convention.

Therefore the option string "da:i:m:di:s:mi:" means: there is an option "-d", which gets no parameter at all, an option "-a", which expects a parameter, an option "-i", which also expects an parameter, ....

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handeling multiple options in script

i need to be able to handel if multiple commands are passed into my script. (ie) -f -r -i . does anyone know a simple solution to handeling this. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: virus_stinger
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing options to a bash script

I'm just not sure where to start looking into this. I want to be able to create switches for my script. Back in the day I'd make my scripts interactive...you know: echo "what report do you want" echo "A)boxes with errors" echo "B)boxes with more than 5 errors" echo "C)Service groups that have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding options to a shell script

I want to add options to my shell script but having problems, my code so far is; #!/bin/bash lflag= iflag= while getopts 'l:i:' OPTION do case $OPTION in l) lflag=1 lval="$OPTARG" ;;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paulobrad
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to run a script with options

I have a script name as psin_install_i3fp.sh I need to run this script like ./psin_install_i3fp.sh step2 What this step2 represents? my script contains data: #!/bin/ksh mkdir logs >> /dev/null 2>&1 ./infra/bin/psin_stop_ba.sh mv ./psin_start_ba.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with options and arguments to a script

I'm trying to write a script that accepts both arguments and options, e.g. ./script -h 1 -m 15 -s 30 or ./script -h 1 -m 15 -s 30 I'd like for any of the arguments and options to be optional, and the option values should be numerals only. I've tried both getopt and getopts but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ilja
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Script creation (how to include options in the script)

Hi guys i have written a script which takes the options given to him and execute itself accordingly. for example if a script name is doctortux then executing doctortux without option should made doctortux to be executed in automatic mode i.e. doctortux -a or if a doctortux is needed to run in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script options

one thing i was trying to figure out is if you can give people the option to choose what they want to do in a shell script. for example, let's just say that you have a simple shell script to install a couple of programs, can you make it to where you can press a certain key to install a certain... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hotshot247
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing new options to a running command

I was just wondering if there is a way to pass an new option or argument to an already running command or program. Let us say you run "zenity --list <options>" and you like to add a title or change the title you used on it while it is already running, is it possible to do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cryogrid
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script to iterate over several options

Have two 3 files which has list of servers,users and location and base url which is common on every server A = server1 server2 server3 B = user1 user2 user3 C = dom1 dom2 dom3 baseurl=/opt/SP/ and what i have to achieve is below via ssh from REMOTE SERVER for it's first iteration it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhaydas
7 Replies
GETOPTS(3)						  libbash getopts Library Manual						GETOPTS(3)

NAME
getopts -- libbash library for command line parameters parsing SYNOPSIS
$retval getopt_long <Instructions> <Parameters> DESCRIPTION
This is a documentation for libbash getopts library, that implements getopt_long function for bash(1). For documentation of bash getopts function, please see getopts(1) ( getopts(1posix) on some systems). Here is a table for reference: getopts(1) (or 1posix on some systems) implemented by bash getopts(3) implemented by libbash. getopt(1) implemented by getopt utils (part of util-linux) getopt_long(1) implemented by libbash and installed to section 1 instead of 3 to prevent collision with C man pages. getopt(3) implemented by GNU C library. getopt_long(3) implemented by GNU C library. I have also seen separate getopt utility which part of util-linux package. The getopt_long function parses the command line arguments. It uses Instructions as the rules for parsing the Parameters. The Instructions A string that specifies rules for parameters parsing. The instructions string is built of a group of independent instructions, separated by a white space. Each instruction must have the following structure: -<SingleLetter>|--<MultiLetter>-><VariableName>[:] This structure contains three parts: -<SingleLetter> This is the parameter single-letter sign. For example -h. --<MultiLetter> This is the parameter's corresponding multi-letter sign. For example --help. <VariableName>[:] This is the name of the variable that will contain the parameter value. For example: HELP. The Variable name can represent one of two variables types: Flag variable (not followed by ':') In this case, it will hold the value 1 if 'on' (i.e. was specified on command line) and will not be defined if 'off'. Value variable (followed by ':') In this case, the value it will hold is the string that was given as the next parameter in the Parameters string (Separated by white-space or '=' ). If input contains more then one instance of the considered command line option, an array of the given parameters will be set as the value of the variable. The Parameters The Parameters are simply the parameters you wish to parse. RETURN VALUE
This function returns a string that contains a set of variables definitions. In order to define the variables, this string should be given as a parameter to eval function. This value is returned in the variable $retval. EXAMPLES
Parse command line parameters looking for the flags -h | --help and -v | --version and for the value -p | --path : getopt_long '-h|--help->HELP -v|--version->VERSION -p|--path->PATH:' $* eval $retval In this example, for the parameters --help --path=/usr/ the variables that will be created are: HELP=1 PATH=/usr/ for the parameters --help --path=/usr --path=/bin the variables that will be created are: HELP=1 PATH=(/usr /bin) BUGS
Values must not contain the string `__getopts__'. This string will be parsed as a single white-space. A value should not start with an already defined multi-letter sign. If such a value exists, it will be treated as the equivalent singe-letter sign. This bug only accures when using a single-letter sign, or a multi-letter sign that are not followed by a `='. For example: If we have a script named `foo', and we parse the parameters `-d|--dir:' and `-f|--file:', then foo -d --file and foo --dir --file will not work foo --dir=--file will work. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), getopt_long(1), getopts(1), getopt(1), libbash(1), getopt(3), getopt_long(3) Linux Epoch Linux