Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting a substring from a string in unix Post 302423127 by arunkumarmc on Thursday 20th of May 2010 08:23:57 AM
Old 05-20-2010
Hi Amit,

In this code,

Code:
find . -name "*sh" -newer TODAY > temp.txt
awk -F"/" ' { print $2 } '   temp.txt

We are getting field 2 and printing it in the terminal.
Will it be possible to resend the field 2 values back to the same file temp.txt replacing the existing data in that file?

Regards
Arun

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed, grep, awk, regex -- extracting a matched substring from a file/string

Ok, I'm stumped and can't seem to find relevant info. (I'm not even sure, I might have asked something similar before.): I'm trying to use shell scripting/UNIX commands to extract URLs from a fairly large web page, with a view to ultimately wrapping this in PHP with exec() and including the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a substring starting from last occurance of a string/character

Hi All, This is Ram. I'm new to this forum & new to shell scripts as well. I've a requirement in which I want to extract a substring from a given string based on last occurance of a character. for eg. I have a string of a file name with absolute path like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krramkumar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting substring from a file name

hi i need to name a file with a substring of a another file name. i.e. if the old filename is abc.txt , the new filename should be abc_1.txt i should get the substring of the file name and then name the new one please let me know how to do it (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityamahi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a substring from a string in UNIX

Hi all. I need help with a command to locate a substring from a string. My problem is I am passing a direcotry name as a command line argument and I need to ensure that user should not pass certain directories. E.g ther are Directories under ==> /opt/projects/* which should not be passed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veenak15
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from string

Hi awk and sed gurus, Please help me in the following. I have the following entries in the file ABCDErules AbHDPrules ABCrules -- -- and other entries in the file. Now, I want to extract from the file that contain entries for *rules and process it separately. How can i do it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring

Hi, I have string in variable like '/u/dolfin/in/DOLFIN.PRL_100.OIB.TLU.001.D20110520.T040010' and i want to conevrt this string into only "DOLFIN.PRL_100.OIB.TLU.001.D20110520.T040010" (i.e file name). Is there any command to extracting string in some part ?(rather than whole path)? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in extracting the substring in UNIX

Hi all, I need to extract the "abcdef" from the below string Digital_abcdef_20130103.txt.gz The length of the "abcdef" will be changing but it will be always after the word Digital_ and before the second underscore help in this regard is highly appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rithushri
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on extracting a substring from the input string

Hi, I am new to Unix. I am trying to extract a substring from an input string: Ex - input string: deploy_v11_9_1 i want to extract and store the value v11_9_1 from the input string in a new variable. I am using following command in my shell script file: echo "Enter the folder name u... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pranav Bhasker
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from variable

Hi All, I'm facing issue wherein I have 2 character string like 'CR' and 'DR' and I want to extract just 1st character but am unable to do it. I tried below options but they are returning me 2nd character only, var="CR" echo ${var:1} returns just "R" echo ${var:0} returns "CR" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindshukla81
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
TMPFILE(3)								 1								TMPFILE(3)

tmpfile - Creates a temporary file

SYNOPSIS
resource tmpfile (void ) DESCRIPTION
Creates a temporary file with a unique name in read-write (w+) mode and returns a file handle . The file is automatically removed when closed (for example, by calling fclose(3), or when there are no remaining references to the file handle returned by tmpfile(3)), or when the script ends. For details, consult your system documentation on the tmpfile(3) function, as well as the stdio.h header file. RETURN VALUES
Returns a file handle, similar to the one returned by fopen(3), for the new file or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 tmpfile(3) example <?php $temp = tmpfile(); fwrite($temp, "writing to tempfile"); fseek($temp, 0); echo fread($temp, 1024); fclose($temp); // this removes the file ?> The above example will output: writing to tempfile SEE ALSO
tempnam(3), sys_get_temp_dir(3). PHP Documentation Group TMPFILE(3)