Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK remove string in between () Post 302422647 by jimmy_y on Wednesday 19th of May 2010 04:08:20 AM
Old 05-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
Try:
Code:
echo 'test here (888_f)a/fff (eeee) test2 (q)--(qq)' | sed 's/([^)]*)//g'

with awk:

Code:
echo 'test here (888_f)a/fff (eeee) test2 (q)--(qq)' | awk -F"[()]" '{for(i=1;i<NF;i+=2){printf("%s",$i)};print ""}'

Thanks Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Remove comma at the end of the string

Hi i had String like UID: ABC345QWE678GFK345SA90, LENGTH 32 when I used awk ' FS, {print $1}' prints ABC345QWE678GFK345SA90, how can i getrid of that coma at the end of the string. Thanks in advance.. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed awk to remove the , in a string

Dear All, Can anyone help to remove the , bewteen "" in a string by using sed or awk? e.g. input : 1,4,5,"abcdef","we,are,here",4,"help hep" output:1,4,5,"abcdef","wearehere",4,"help hep" Thanks, Mimi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimilaw
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove multiple lines from a particular string to particular string

Hi, I have a file containing the DDLs of tables in a schema. From that I need to remove all the lines from a starting string till a specific string. Here is an example. File1.txt ------------- CREATE TABLE "SCHEMA1"."LKP11_TBL_USERS" ( "ID" NUMBER(8,0) NOT NULL ENABLE, "USER_ID"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove not only the duplicate string but also the keyword of the string in Perl

Hi Perl users, I have another problem with text processing in Perl. I have a file below: Linux Unix Linux Windows SUN MACOS SUN SUN HP-AUX I want the result below: Unix Windows SUN MACOS HP-AUX so the duplicate string will be removed and also the keyword of the string on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: askari
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
scroll(3NCURSES)														  scroll(3NCURSES)

NAME
scroll, scrl, wscrl - scroll a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); DESCRIPTION
The scroll routine scrolls the window up one line. This involves moving the lines in the window data structure. As an optimization, if the scrolling region of the window is the entire screen, the physical screen may be scrolled at the same time. For positive n, the scrl and wscrl routines scroll the window up n lines (line i+n becomes i); otherwise scroll the window down n lines. This involves moving the lines in the window character image structure. The current cursor position is not changed. For these functions to work, scrolling must be enabled via scrollok. RETURN VALUE
These routines return ERR upon failure, and OK (SVr4 only specifies "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful completion. X/Open defines no error conditions. This implementation returns an error if the window pointer is null, or if scrolling is not enabled in the window, e.g., with scrollok. NOTES
Note that scrl and scroll may be macros. The SVr4 documentation says that the optimization of physically scrolling immediately if the scroll region is the entire screen "is" per- formed, not "may be" performed. This implementation deliberately does not guarantee that this will occur, to leave open the possibility of smarter optimization of multiple scroll actions on the next update. Neither the SVr4 nor the XSI documentation specify whether the current attribute or current color-pair of blanks generated by the scroll function is zeroed. Under this implementation it is. PORTABILITY
The XSI Curses standard, Issue 4 describes these functions. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), outopts(3NCURSES) scroll(3NCURSES)