Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Append stderr
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append stderr Post 302422632 by canduc17 on Wednesday 19th of May 2010 03:06:42 AM
Old 05-19-2010
Thank you scottn and sorry for having bumped the thread up.
I've tryed to adapt your script to my needs, without success.

I have:
Code:
log() {
    while read LINE; do
        echo "$(date) - ${LINE}" >> "${LOGFILE}"
    done
}

${PROGRAM}  >> "${LOG_FILE_1}" 2>&1 >> ${LOGFILE_2} | log

But the scripts stops in reading lines and doesn't go ahead...

Which changes should I make?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr

in fprint(stderr, "lkjalsdi\n"); what does stderr mean? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

3. Programming

stderr in background process

Herez the question, In a process which writes into file FILE1 with descriptor fHandler1 and it is run as a background process where would statements be directed when stderr descriptor is used. fprintf(stderr,"some message\n"); assume that session from which it is run is terminated and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR output

Hi, Need some help here on a script I'm writing. I know that STDERR is normally done is this manner: script 2>stderr.out However, if I wanted to output the stderr from a rsh command how do I do that? Example: su - username -c "rsh $hostname /opt/gilberteu/scriptname" 1>stdout... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I pipe stderr to another process

Hi there, I was wondering if it was possible to pipe stderr to another process. I need to eval commands given as arguments and I would like to redirect stderr to another process. I can redirect stderr to a file like this... toto:~$ command="one=1" toto:~$ eval $command 2> error toto:~$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr/stdout

Can somebody explain to me why the diff output is not going to stderr? Yet when I issue a diff from the command line the return code is -ne 1. I am guessing diff always writes to stdout??? Is there away I can force the difff to write to stderr USING THE CURRENT template. If possible, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get stderr

Hello I try to store stderr into a variable, then if this var is not empty i send an email and stop my script. I think my problem is due of "<$dump" into my command line. my bad command line (see samples below on this post) if ! $returnedStr ; then echo ERROR READING DUMP: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giova
8 Replies

8. Solaris

can't get stderr port

Hi Experts, i have a solaris 9 OS and i get the following message repeated many time in my /var/adm/messages : Oct 31 16:30:44 baobab rsh: can't get stderr port: Cannot assign requested address have you any idea how can i resolve this issue ??:confused: thanks for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - proper way to append variable to stderr

Hello, Can you please if the bellow is the proper way of appending a variable to the stderr: The easiest way to test this,I was able to imagine, was by touching 5 files and afterwards looping trough to the results: -rw-r--r-- 1 ab owner 0 Sep 14 13:45 file1 -rw-r--r-- 1 ab owner 0 Sep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt regarding stderr

Hi All, I am writing a shell script code. and i want the stderr to be send to a file and the stdout to be displayed in terminal. In my shell script code i use a read command to get data from user.read -r -p "Enter the type :" data and while i execute my script i use./my_script.sh 2>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinoth R
4 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)