Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change existing variable value only user enters non-empty string. Post 302422547 by kchinnam on Tuesday 18th of May 2010 05:31:02 PM
Old 05-18-2010
Change existing variable value only user enters non-empty string.

I haven't checked any installation script to see how this is done..

But I could not even do following simple task.

How do I Change existing variable value only when user enteres non-empty string. ?

Code:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
uid="scott"
# Assign new value user enters to uid, else leave it alone.

echo "Press Enter to select existing value \r\n"
echo "uid[${uid}]: \c"; read resp;

# if user changes uid to something, then only change original value.
if [ ! -n "${resp}" ]; then
  echo "${resp}" | od -bcx
  # I do not want to capture "Enter" or space characters into this.
  uid=${resp}
fi
echo "uid --> ${uid}"

I want to see output with "uid --> scott" in this case.

Code:

$> test.sh   
Press Enter to select existing value 
uid[scott]: 
0000000 012
          \n
            0a00
uid -->

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

if test for empty and non-existing file

How to write this condition in ksh? if myfile is empty or myfile does not exist then do action1 fi is this OK? if ] -o ] then then do action1 fi Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can i change the date of an existing file

Hi, Plz suggest me how can i change the date of a file. Suppose my file has been created in some date and i want to give it present date. How can i do this???? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New Variable with Existing variable( Urgent)

hi all, i want use the variable value as a new variable name. print output of new variable. for i in COMPUTER1 COMPUTER2 do flag_name=${i}_FLAG eval ${flag_name}=123 echo $i'_FLAG' done output is COMPUTER1_FLAG COMPUTER2_FLAG i need output as 123 123 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Add existing user into an existing group

Pre: no gpasswd/adduser there is just usermod can be used, also there is no -a option for usermod. How should I add a user into a group? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - set specific user variable via string operators

Apologies for the utter triviality of this question, but we all have to start somewhere! I've also tried searching but this question is pretty vague so I didn't (a) really know what to search for or (b) get many relevant hits to what I did search for. Anyway, I'm in the process of self-teaching... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u5j84
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: change string variable

Hi. How to change string variable in awk? for example, I parse with awk script text file named some_name_with_extension.txt I want to print only some_name in my script .... varCompName = FILENAME print varCompName How to put not all symbols from FILENAME to variable? thank you This... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cintlt
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change last character in string with a variable value.

Hey Guys, I have text such as this. 28003,ALCORN,2 28009,BENTON,2 28013,CALHOUN,2 28017,CHICKASAW,2 47017,CARROLL,2 05021,CLAY,0 The last digit after the final "," is a variable value. This is the base file. I have to do further execution on this file later and I need to update the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I change a variable to something only if it's empty?

I feel like it is just a matter of using the $ operators correctly, but I can't seem to get it... hostname="network" ip="192.168.1.1" netmask="" variables=( $hostname $ip $netmask ) for var in ${variables} do if ; then $var="--" fi done echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etranman1
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script stops running after assigning empty string for a variable

Hi, This is the first time I see something like this, and I don't why it happens. Please give me some help. I am really appreciate it. Basically I am trying to remove all empty lines of an input.. #!/bin/bash set -e set -x str1=`echo -e "\nhaha" | grep -v ^$` #str2=`echo -e "\n" |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyomano
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change date time stamp of existing file

I have a file hello.txt which was created today (today's date timestamp) I wish to change its date timestamp (access, modified, created) to 1 week old i.e one week from now. uname -a SunOS mymac 5.11 11.2 sun4v sparc sun4v Can you please suggest a easy way to do that ? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
12 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)