Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Gathering data from complex/large dataspreads .txt format Post 302422513 by EAGL€ on Tuesday 18th of May 2010 03:34:07 PM
Old 05-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by p43hd
The .txt file is too large and I havn't been able to open the file without freezing. Weirdly, it shows the full text in the preview window in explorer.

I also don't know how to use code tags properly for this situation.

from Message tab below this page click "#" to use code tags after selecting a code part or a sentence.

you can split your file into many parts. Lets say your file is 800MB, you simply split it to 40 MBytes of parts:

Code:
split -b 40m FILE

then attach a part here Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data gathering script

I am pretty new at shell scripting, but I managed to make a primative shell script to connect from my webserver (bluehost) to an external data server via ftp or sftp or whatever I need. This script is : #!/bin/sh HOST='ftp.host.com' USER='username' PASSWD='password' FILE='file' ftp -n... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mesoeast
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Gathering data using SAR

Hi everyone, I would like to ask if it is possible to gather SAR data on a specified time. let say yesterdays report, i want to get data at around 12PM and 5PM. thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwiggler
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

What is the best tools for performance data gathering and analysis?

Dear Guru, IHAC who complaint that his CentOS is getting performance issue. I have to help him out of there. Could you please tell me which tools is better to gathering the whole system performance data? -- CPU/Memory/IO(disk & Network)/swap I would like the tools could be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: devyfong
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use Regex to identify / format a complex string

First of all, please have mercy on me. I am not a noob to programming, but I am about as noob as you can get with regex. That being said, I have a problem. I've got a string that looks something like this: Publication - Bob M. Jones, Tony X. Stark, and Fred D. Man, \"Really Awesome Article... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: egill
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt (How to format message.txt for html email)

ssmtp has been running well under Kubuntu 12.04.1 for plain text messages. I would like to send html messages with ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt, but I cannot seem to get the message.txt file properly formatted. I have tried various charsets, Content-Transfer-Encoding, rearranging the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronald B
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to format one txt file to required format

Hello Everyone, I have one source file which is genarated by SAP in different format(Which I've never seen). I need to convert that file to required format and I need to read this target file from Datastage to use this in my Jobs. So I do not have any other options except to use Unix script to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathyu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gathering data in columns from multiple files

Hello world! I need to gather all the data from different folders and copy it in an one unique text file in columns format. Let me explain, let´s say "a, b, c" are 3 data files of thousands and thousands lines (in the reality, I have nearly one hundred). "a, b, c" are located in the folders... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: user10600
5 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)