Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Append stderr
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append stderr Post 302422422 by Scott on Tuesday 18th of May 2010 10:45:30 AM
Old 05-18-2010
Hi.

Here's an example, of what I think you are asking.
Code:
$ cat LogTest
LogError() {
  while read LINE; do
    echo "ERROR:  $LINE"
  done
}

PrintSomething() {
  echo "OK"
  echo "ERROR1" >&2
  echo "ERROR2" >&2
}

PrintSomething 2>&1 > some_log_file.txt | LogError

$ ./LogTest
ERROR:  ERROR1
ERROR:  ERROR2

$ cat some_log_file.txt
OK

Errors go through function LogError - and from there you can do with it what you wish.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

stderr

in fprint(stderr, "lkjalsdi\n"); what does stderr mean? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell9
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

3. Programming

stderr in background process

Herez the question, In a process which writes into file FILE1 with descriptor fHandler1 and it is run as a background process where would statements be directed when stderr descriptor is used. fprintf(stderr,"some message\n"); assume that session from which it is run is terminated and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR output

Hi, Need some help here on a script I'm writing. I know that STDERR is normally done is this manner: script 2>stderr.out However, if I wanted to output the stderr from a rsh command how do I do that? Example: su - username -c "rsh $hostname /opt/gilberteu/scriptname" 1>stdout... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilberteu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I pipe stderr to another process

Hi there, I was wondering if it was possible to pipe stderr to another process. I need to eval commands given as arguments and I would like to redirect stderr to another process. I can redirect stderr to a file like this... toto:~$ command="one=1" toto:~$ eval $command 2> error toto:~$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr/stdout

Can somebody explain to me why the diff output is not going to stderr? Yet when I issue a diff from the command line the return code is -ne 1. I am guessing diff always writes to stdout??? Is there away I can force the difff to write to stderr USING THE CURRENT template. If possible, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get stderr

Hello I try to store stderr into a variable, then if this var is not empty i send an email and stop my script. I think my problem is due of "<$dump" into my command line. my bad command line (see samples below on this post) if ! $returnedStr ; then echo ERROR READING DUMP: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giova
8 Replies

8. Solaris

can't get stderr port

Hi Experts, i have a solaris 9 OS and i get the following message repeated many time in my /var/adm/messages : Oct 31 16:30:44 baobab rsh: can't get stderr port: Cannot assign requested address have you any idea how can i resolve this issue ??:confused: thanks for help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lid-j-one
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - proper way to append variable to stderr

Hello, Can you please if the bellow is the proper way of appending a variable to the stderr: The easiest way to test this,I was able to imagine, was by touching 5 files and afterwards looping trough to the results: -rw-r--r-- 1 ab owner 0 Sep 14 13:45 file1 -rw-r--r-- 1 ab owner 0 Sep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt regarding stderr

Hi All, I am writing a shell script code. and i want the stderr to be send to a file and the stdout to be displayed in terminal. In my shell script code i use a read command to get data from user.read -r -p "Enter the type :" data and while i execute my script i use./my_script.sh 2>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinoth R
4 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)